NEurope
Happenstance

Phantasy Star Online 2

PSO2 is ready to download for open beta now.

It's working on my pal xbone, just change your region to United states in settings and you will see it in Microsoft store.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gadwin said:

PSO2 is ready to download for open beta now.

It's working on my pal xbone, just change your region to United states in settings and you will see it in Microsoft store.

Awesome news. :D

I went to Xbox.com, signed in, then to the Microsoft store, changed the language region to US at the bottom of the page after previously searching for 'Phantasy Star' and it showed up, so I got it and it now says that I own it although it doesn't say that I have any devices which I can download it on but I'm willing to bet that if I now go onto my Xbox One, check purchase history then I should be able to download the PSO2 client with any luck. :)

Time to start the 1.5GB or however big it is, Xbox One system update so that I can get on and download PSO2 finally. (hopefully) :peace:

I'm  still installing as of my last post.

At 56% Installed now the game is around 68.76GB.

You can launch the game from roughly 20%

3 hours ago, Gadwin said:

I'm  still installing as of my last post.

At 56% Installed now the game is around 68.76GB.

You can launch the game from roughly 20%

Just started downloading it now after changing region on the Xbox One console.

Only another 64 GB to go... :D

Current estimate is around 2 and a half hours... :blank:

I might as well play PSO while I wait. :p

And so we did... @Gadwin and I played PSO on the PC for a bit while waiting for PSO2 to download, it finished installing hours later.

Ther servers for the Open Beta aren't live until 1am tomorrow though and I need to get Xbox Live Gold again as it finally ran out, will see if I can get a good deal.

I should be able to get a years Gold for £35 or so if I look around, the £1 Gold deal which includes Game Pass etc isn't an option for me.

Edited by S.C.G

Well, @Gadwin and I finally got to play PSO2 after all these years of waiting. :D

Anyone else who wants to participate in the Open Beta can do so if they have an Xbox One, just remember to set the region to US, download the PSO2 client, change the region back and you're basically ready to go so long as you have Xbox Live Gold membership... which I didn't but as luck would have it, I added £10 credit to my account which I'd bought ages ago and it informed me that my balance was just over £50 which is what a years Live membership is now so I just bought it as I'll surely play enough PSO2 on its own to justify it. :)

Everything is streamlined from how it was when it initially launched, there are quests which explain the basics and you can have a basic grasp on a lot of the mechanics etc in around about an hour or so, which isn't bad considering that there's a fair bit to PSO2, especially with regards to quests, of which there are lots of different types... standard quests, story quests, urgent quests, daily, weekly... even ones for just talking to NPC's net you some kind of reward.

The combo system is intuitive, there's a bit more depth to it as it's essentially the best parts of PSO and PSU combined with PSO2's own unique style added in for good measure.

Character creation is really in-depth just on its own, I can see where people would end up spending money on customisation as there is plenty of scope for it but fortunately for us, in this region I don't think you can even buy Arkz cash or whatever the currency is due to limitations, but you can enjoy the full game outside of the US region, for free and that's good enough for me as I can see myself playing this on and off for a good while. :peace:

My Xbox One finally has a purpose again, to play PSO2 and it would take a lot for Microsoft to convince me that I 'need' to upgrade to an Xbox Series X because... unless it runs PSO2 significantly better than the base model Xbox One, there isn't much point for me unless they've got some amazing exclusives lined up.

4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

My Xbox One finally has a purpose again, to play PSO2 and it would take a lot for Microsoft to convince me that I 'need' to upgrade to an Xbox Series X because... unless it runs PSO2 significantly better than the base model Xbox One, there isn't much point for me unless they've got some amazing exclusives lined up.

It'll probably be out on everything else, unless Microsoft has exclusivity. Should be out on PC by then anyway.

Did you have to create a SEGA account or anything?

I'm tempted but it would mean getting an Xbox One just for PSO2, not sure what will happen once the EU servers go up, can I use the same character?

1 hour ago, Ike said:

It'll probably be out on everything else, unless Microsoft has exclusivity. Should be out on PC by then anyway.

I'm tempted but it would mean getting an Xbox One just for PSO2, not sure what will happen once the EU servers go up, can I use the same character?

There's still no confirmation that we are even getting it over here, is there?

I watched a few videos of the beta and it just doesn't seem like the classic PSO and looks to lean more heavily into the MMO genre. The original game was very simple to get to grips with but with this it seems more complicated, with an abundance of systems and menus  being present.

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's still no confirmation that we are even getting it over here, is there?

Not to my knowledge. It's like PSOver2 all over again.

7 hours ago, Ike said:

No Sega account necessary, all links to your Gamertag, really simplifies it, makes it easier to play with people online.

If you already have an Xbox One, you might as well just change your region to US and download it, I've no idea what will happen if/when dedicated EU servers go up.

Going by the servers at the moment though, there are eight ships, each ships has 80 blocks and each block can hold a lot of players, it's nowhere near capacity which is good.

Still a lot of people playing though and it's just great to have it available, so if anyone has an Xbox One, I wouldn't bother waiting unless you're not that bothered, in which case... ::shrug:

I'm enjoying playing PSO2 finally, that's all I know and I'll keep posting updates if anyone is interested, :)

I took a few captures, will see if I can share them at some point.

52 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

No Sega account necessary, all links to your Gamertag, really simplifies it, makes it easier to play with people online.

If you already have an Xbox One, you might as well just change your region to US and download it, I've no idea what will happen if/when dedicated EU servers go up.

Going by the servers at the moment though, there are eight ships, each ships has 80 blocks and each block can hold a lot of players, it's nowhere near capacity which is good.

Still a lot of people playing though and it's just great to have it available, so if anyone has an Xbox One, I wouldn't bother waiting unless you're not that bothered, in which case... ::shrug:

I'm enjoying playing PSO2 finally, that's all I know and I'll keep posting updates if anyone is interested, :)

I took a few captures, will see if I can share them at some point.

Ah right, interesting. Sounds like the PC version will be released via the Microsoft Store then.

I don't have an Xbox, but Shopto have the S model on sale for £200.

I'm interested in your updates. What races and class did you and @Gadwin go with?

• Thanks 1

I went with a Human Hunter named Dark Avenger on Ship 2.

Planning on getting on now and playing for a few hours. :)

38 hours into PSO2 I uninstalled the game.  I just couldn't enjoy this after waiting since 2012.

It was a tedious experience levelling as it feels designed around doing daily quests to get anywhere and rares might as well not be called rares as they drop like candy on every difficulty I played (v hard mode).

Players rarely communicate via text or headset much like ffxiv it is like playing with bots.

Avoid.

• Thanks 2

Aw, that's a shame. Surprised to hear people aren't talking. Would you consider coming back when it opens to to European players, if more people from here started playing? @Gadwin

Do you have the same experience/feelings @S.C.G?

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Aw, that's a shame. Surprised to hear people aren't talking. Would you consider coming back when it opens to to European players, if more people from here started playing? @Gadwin

Do you have the same experience/feelings @S.C.G?

I haven't played it in nearly two weeks... :p

In fact, I've gone back to playing Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II on the GameCube via the Schthack server on my other memory card. :)

It's not that I wouldn't consider playing PSO2, in fact when Gadwin and I last played it, I was starting to get an idea of how the game works, but that's the problem... I was starting to see just how the game really works by giving you loads of items from certain time-limited quests, as in hundreds, overwhemling your already generous free storage, in the hope that you're going to buy premium storage or something.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything in this game, just keep it free, but that doesn't get around the fact that there is a lot of item management in this game, and of course, the original PSO had that too but here it's times that by maybe ten times? Add to that, the fact that there is a lot to get your head around to start with and you end up with a game which is somewhere inbetween PSO and PSU with advancements of its own which are PSO2 but it all adds up to a game which is fun to play, when you're actually in a mission but not when you're out of one.

You can spend maybe, two or three times the amount of time out of a mission than you do in a mission, whereas in PSO, if you really get into the rhythm of selling everything you don't need, storing rares, getting topped up with items, you can do that in about a minute or two and be straight back into the game.

I'm still happy to play PSO2 some more at some point, especially if anyone else from N-E gets in on it but equally... I'm in no great rush to either. ::shrug:

It sounds really harsh to be typing all this out but it's just what I think about the game right now, I won't be deleting it but it's just not as good as PSO even if it improves on some mechanics, the overall game is somewhat oversaturated with a lot of stuff which doesn't need to be in there really but then again it it free to play and judged just on its own merits, it's a good game to play for free and it is still a sequel to PSO but it's very hard to warm to it after being so into the original game for two decades. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I watched a but of a let's play and the guy was getting tons of "rares" during a quest. There did seem to be a lot of menu/systems to learn as well. Shame both of you have negative thoughts after waiting so long for a localisation.

I used to play Blue Burst on Schthack, can't remember my login now. Maybe I should try a password reset, I don't know if my character will still be there though.

Or maybe I'll just go back to Dragon Quest X instead. ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

I reinstalled PSO2 few night ago to see if I would have a better time as a ranger called Jupiter.

Knowing how the game works better now I reached level 25 in under 2 nights of playing. 

I would still give the game a chance @Ike if your looking for a online game to play. 

It can be played without spending any arks cash but it does cause a lot of inventory management issues. You will find yourself full of inventory well before finishing a quest as loot drops constantly.

Having only one mag per character can also be limiting as you won't be optimal later on if you enjoy switching class types a lot.  Extra mags can be acquired with arks cash.

You can make up to 3 characters per ship so if you wanted to play classes to their full potential theres always that option.

From what I learned playing the game you basically just want to pick up items with the most affixes to use them as fodder later on for modding your gear.  Anything with less than 3 affixes isn't worth picking up.

Meseta is very easy to acquire in the game as you advance difficulties, one npc gives Daily Missions that give you a more financial based rewards where as Client Orders give more reward in the form of experience points.

I would encourage using multiple characters if you need meseta for gear as the daily limit on Client Orders and Daily Missions are on a per character basis, so on the same Ship your three characters can all earn meseta between them.

For me premium status is unnecessary as most things in the game can be purchased from player shops for gearing up and its totally viable upgrading gear yourself too.  Only thing that might not be worth doing is the crafting systems as you would only be able to use items made yourself as you can't sell items in the player shop if you don't have premium status.

Gathering however is worth doing as theres client orders that can earn you in excess of 100k meseta if you want some easy meseta once a day.

I will play the game for now at a casual pace on the xbox one but will switch to the Windows 10 version whenever it releases because playing ranger on controller doesnt feel natural like mouse and keyboard does.  Playing as a force on controller is manageable and quite fun nuking enemies as I have been ever since unlocking my subclass at level 20,  Gadwin is level 45 at the moment.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ike said:

PC version is out "next month". Probably still US only.

Well, at least it's almost released across both platforms. :D

Even if it is 'US Only' on PC as well, isn't it just available from the Microsoft store? If so, you should only need to change the store region to US, download and then be good to go.

Also, it has now apparently officially launched on Xbox One, if anyone on here decides to get PSO2 on either platform, @Gadwin and I are on Ship 02: Ur

It would be nice to get some N-E games of this on the go. :) I'm not playing it a huge amount at the moment but I do want to play it a bit more.

I don't have an Xbox but I'd like to revisit PSO, if just for the nostalgia. I'll give it a try when it appears on PC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

I don't have an Xbox but I'd like to revisit PSO, if just for the nostalgia. I'll give it a try when it appears on PC.

Not sure if you've ever tried it but the original PSO (episodes 1, 2 and 4) have released in an updated compilation called "PSO Blue Burst", which was really neat when I played it a few years ago. It's all on private servers and the community was pretty buzzing.

I think the most amazing thing is that the online and features in PSO is still leaps and bounds ahead of anything Nintendo is doing in the current day.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Not sure if you've ever tried it but the original PSO (episodes 1, 2 and 4) have released in an updated compilation called "PSO Blue Burst", which was really neat when I played it a few years ago. It's all on private servers and the community was pretty buzzing.

I think the most amazing thing is that the online and features in PSO is still leaps and bounds ahead of anything Nintendo is doing in the current day.

Yep, again... both Gadwin and I can vouch for the private servers of PSO Blue Blurst. :D

Ephinea is the private server which we play on, you download the game and launcher all in one go after signing up on the website and then you use that login to get online.

I can tell you that there are 118 Hunters Online right now and that usually gets to closer to the two-hundred mark either in the evenings or when there is an event on.

Having said that... I did log on there last night as despite there being players on there, I couldn't find a game to join sadly as they were either already in progress or the game name implied that it was a reserved run, so I didn't join any runs last night, in fact... I even tried the Schthack server on the original GameCube version as well and I couldn't find a game either but there's usually only about 20 - 30 Hunters online on there, but when you do get a game it's great. :)

I think it's just to do with where I'm at on both versions now... I have a level 140+ HUmar on the PC version which is fun but I don't have as much attachment to my character being that it's all server side saving, though the community it generally pretty cool and on the GC version I currently have a level 72 FOnewearl so I'm only less than eight levels off ultimate but Very Hard mode is still challenging if you're playing solo.

PSO is definitely better when you're playing with people you know and I was playing with someone I know on the GC version until recently, hoping to get back into getting a team together again soon but again it just depends on who is on; I would imagine that PSO2 would be more enjoyable playing with people you know but even then, it's still a very different game, I hear that it's a bit of a mindless grind up to level 40 and then it gets better? ::shrug:

I'd still rather play PSO2 than any other free to play game though, so it's not really that bad as such and there's still plenty of stuff to check out on there, it's just an odd combination of everything on there being overwhelming and at the same time kind of playing the bigger quests on autopilot for exp until you get to a certain point and I'm sure they will be rebalancing the game at some point soon, because it surely needs it. :peace:

I've been playimg this for a while. How can i buy the AC with it being NA only?

2 hours ago, Esequiel said:

I've been playimg this for a while. How can i buy the AC with it being NA only?

You can't buy Arkz Cash outside of NA... at least not without going through a few loopholes and it's so complicated that personally, I wouldn't bother but I think @Gadwin mentioned that there is a way but I can't even find it and I did have a quick look as well but I'll ask him next time we catch up or next time he's on the forum. :D

How are you finding PSO2 anyway? Is it keeping your interest? Are you finding all of the different elements a bit overwhelming? Or is it exactly what you wanted from a PSO sequel?

Which ship are you on? If you're on Ship 02: Ur then we could probably get a game in sometime if you like?