NEurope
Choze

DmC: Devil May Cry

Its odd that Capcom now has this view that everything has to be western market style to sell even better than there own Japanese developed games.

Wired -Reboot!

Capcom and a team of Western developers will reboot the Devil May Cry action series with a new game called simply DMC, the company said Wednesday.

This new game is meant to recolor the series, painting Dante as a “rebellious youth” and mixing his character with modern fashion and style.

For this arduous task, Capcom will rely on its U.S. branch, with producer Alex Jones at the reins. He will be assisted by director Tameem Antoniades of Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword) and co-director Hideaki Itsuno.

It’s an all-star cast, and Itsuno even went as far to say “there’s no way a group like us could possibly fail.” Still, it’s a wonder what the fans who have followed Dante closely up until now will say about his new makeover. The short trailer has shown us little else.

Capcom will release the game on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

This new game is meant to recolor the series, painting Dante as a “rebellious youth” and mixing his character with modern fashion and style.
This just sounds like such a boring concept to work from!

I'm hating the whole DMC 'tag' logo aswell... just seems so stereotypical.

Lmao how the people come up with the accurate illustrations so quickly!?

All of these images have come from NeoGAF.

View GAF and copy pasta shit onto this forum. It is the norm. And Dante is king.

The first comic came from Penny Arcade.

ScrawlFX.com

Hideki Kamiya, creator of the Devil May Cry series, doesn’t seem too fond of Ninja Theory’s new take on protagonist Dante.

In a series of tweets where fans ask him his thoughts on the new younger Dante, he responds the following:

“I miss him, too… RT @nss_13_ @PG_kamiya I miss the Dante you made,” read the first tweet.

“I’ve been sad since Dante left me. RT @nss_13_ @PG_kamiya It’s sad to see what you started turn this way,” read another.

The last tweet read: “Whatever. RT @Solivagant @PG_kamiya #DmC, by Ninja Theory? Do you think they will “evolve” the action game from your Bayonetta standard?”

I guess we’ll see how it all turns out in 2011.

1UP - Antoniades Interview

When Capcom released the first DmC trailer (reproduced below) last week, the Internet wasn't happy. Here was a series fans loved, in a genre dominated by Japanese developers, with a main character that looked like a Japanese pop star; and the people in charge were bringing in a Western development team, and "reimagining" main character Dante by making him look like -- depending who you ask -- a trendy vampire, Hillary Swank, or Justin Bieber. For many (though notably, not all), the gut reaction was anger.

"I literally can't stop laughing at how bad that character design is," said Ken Saunders on the 1UP forums.

"I think they are trying to bring new fans into the series and don't care if they alienate the old fans," added Emilio Morales.

"For the style that DMC has gone for all these years it seems like a logical progression," countered Matt Schulte. "The Metal Goth imagery is still intact with a change to a more urban setting (reminds me of a DMC-inspired Empire City from Infamous) and the style [of] the main character is relevant to the style of people who are into that culture. It's just no longer being drawn by anime-inspired artists."

Capcom's Keiji Inafune has made many comments recently about Japanese companies needing to look to Western developers for inspiration, and DmC is the most obvious example yet of the publisher putting a Western spin on a well-established Japanese franchise. Ninja Theory creative director Tameem Antoniades, who some have pointed out looks like the new Dante (which he claims wasn't intentional), sees this as an important shift.

"The essence of Devil May Cry is all about 'cool,'" he says. "It's about Dante being cool and making you feel cool when you're playing it, and so the combat and the style system and everything is integral to that. But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago -- I think that was when the first game came out [Editor's Note: he's a bit off, as the first title came out in 2001] -- isn't cool anymore. If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he'd get laughed out. What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music -- it was like a cultural melting pot -- and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion."

Showing clear cultural differences, Antoniades -- who's based in the UK -- places the new game in contrast to Platinum Games' Bayonetta, which was led by original Devil May Cry director Hideki Kamiya and a team in Japan.

Asked if he thinks Bayonetta looks cool, Antoniades says: "Personally, I don't. I love the game. I think it's awesome. It's taken everything -- it's just gone to a total extreme. But in terms of, 'Do I think it's cool?' No, not at all. I think it's caricatured and over-the-top and very 'Japanesey,' and for that absurd style it does that really well, but that's not what I want."

As it turns out, Ninja Theory has been working with Capcom's U.S. and Japan offices on this new art style for the past year.

"[initially], we said, 'Go explore the space,' and [Ninja Theory] came back with a very incremental look from what Dante had usually been," says Capcom USA lead producer Alex Jones. "And we went, 'No guys, go back to first principles and really do something,' and then they went about 25-percent more down the field. And we're like, 'No, seriously! Do something that you think would make us angry with you,' and that's when we started making progress."

When I mention the fan reaction thus far to Jones and Antoniades, they point out that, since this is an origin story, DmC's Dante will evolve over the course of the game, so the Dante seen in the trailer won't be the same Dante on the screen for the entire game. They stop short of confirming whether that means he'll be playable as a child, or whether he will turn into something resembling his character from the older games at some point along the way, claiming that much of the story is still under development, but they point to his hair in the trailer as an example.

"His hair is white!" says Jones. "Actually there is some white in the trailer, to all you guys on the forums saying it's not."

Wait, is it really?

"There's... there's some white in there," he says. "We weren't trying to hide it."

Regardless of the details, it's clear the idea here was to shock players with something new, and to that extent Capcom has succeeded. The question now is whether they can overcome the negative feedback that's come along with that, and whether there's a large enough new audience to replace disappointed legacy fans. Antoniades points out that while the game looks different, it will still feel "mechanically responsive," and control "like a DMC game," which if true should go a long way to calming fears about a new development team taking over the franchise. But with a game based around the idea of being cool, word of mouth will play a very important role over the next year or so before it hits stores.

Well after that read, I think I will stop with the knee-jerk reactions and just wait for more info. And there is a little bit of white on the top of new Dante's head. At first viewing, I thought that was just the lighting effects.

Capcom aiming to make 90+ reviews:

Capcom has moved to reassure Devil May Cry fans that the franchise is in good hands with developer Ninja Theory and that together the teams involved aim to make DMC the best in the series so far.

The cause for concern over the upcoming Devil May Cry game, titled DMC, is a redesign of protagonist Dante, who appears younger and a tad grungier in what will be the fifth in the series.

It was a move by Ninja Theory, which caused something of a backlash, but a Capcom staff member known on the official forums as 'onlyonet' has told followers not to worry:

tally ill founded, on what was an excellent game that 'got' everything that made the first game so amazing."

"[Ninja Theory] are renowned for the quality of their production everything from motion capture, scripting, design and performance, areas perhaps areas that Capcom have been criticised over the past few years?"

"Capcom bring to the table years of experience with design of fighting systems, characters and the little things that make DMC, well DMC."

"Combine all the best elements of Capcom and Ninja Theory you will have one of the greatest DMC titles ever created... and that people is what we're working towards."

"But we haven't handed over the family silver to some strangers we are working with Ninja Theory on this together. We believe that by going down this route we can breathe new life into the franchise and make a game that sits above DMC3 for this generation."

Talking about Devil May Cry games of the past, onlyonet said,

"Lets be honest they were great games (averageing in the low 80's on metacritic) but not perfect. We're now aiming to make the perfect DMC game that gets 90's"

Stupid Capcom for giving the franchise to Ninja Theory after DMC4 sold the best in the series.

I really hope this new DMC game does well but I'm more interested in Bayonetta 2. At least the first game wasn't pandering to some weird Western gaming view which DMC 5 seems to be moving towards.

^Yeah Japanese development teams are really getting the wrong idea about how to sell their games.

I think it's a pride thing. They seem to think for the games to sell they need to be "more western".

That's not really the problem. The problem is that Western development teams have really been pushing the evolution of games more in recent years. You look at what the Mass Effect series does for an epic, expansive RPG experience comared to what FFXIII accomplished for example and it isn't hard to tell which one was pushing gaming to its limits more (or at least it shouldn't be). In terms of overall quality of current-gen games, titles like Bioshock, Fallout 3, COD: Modern Warefare, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, Arkhum Asylum, Dead Space and many others, completely trounce virtually all the current-gen titles available out of Japan development teams (although Japan wins on Wii, but solely because of Nintendo).

The thing is I don't think Japanese development teams really want to admit that it's the quality of Western games that are better, so they're intent on thinking Westernisation is the only option.

It's not just quality though, for what it is FFXIII is a high quality title, but as you said it doesn't exactly push the industry. A little westernization could be beneficial.

Of course, DMC certainly didn't need it.

^Yeah Japanese development teams are really getting the wrong idea about how to sell their games.

I think it's a pride thing. They seem to think for the games to sell they need to be "more western".

That's not really the problem. The problem is that Western development teams have really been pushing the evolution of games more in recent years. You look at what the Mass Effect series does for an epic, expansive RPG experience comared to what FFXIII accomplished for example and it isn't hard to tell which one was pushing gaming to its limits more (or at least it shouldn't be). In terms of overall quality of current-gen games, titles like Bioshock, Fallout 3, COD: Modern Warefare, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, Arkhum Asylum, Dead Space and many others, completely trounce virtually all the current-gen titles available out of Japan development teams (although Japan wins on Wii, but solely because of Nintendo).

The thing is I don't think Japanese development teams really want to admit that it's the quality of Western games that are better, so they're intent on thinking Westernisation is the only option.

I agree with you on most of what you said, however, there are are some shining lights within the turds of Japanese games. Atlus seem to be doing quite well and have built quite a good cult following around the world. Platinum Games is perhaps the greatest company/studio to have been created this gen, seriously all the games they have made have been pure awesome.

You also have games like Monster Hunter which is starting to get more interest in the west, but also Dragon Quest IX as well, that game really feels like a JRPG that got a couple of idea's from the west to making it refreshing and feel like a WRPG a bit as well.

But now reading back on what I wrote, only Platinum Games matter at the moment when it comes to HD games...so yeah, the rest of Japan when it comes to HD is laughable.

...Oh and I forgot FROM SOFTWARE, they are awesome as well :D

New Trailer

Really don't like the look of this.

Edited by Retro_Link

It's looking better than before, but too shooty and not as smooth as DMC should be. I really wish they would just make the game 60 fps and forgo the little bells and whistles.

Apparently this Danger is from a parallel universe, or so destructoid claims.

Danger?! Fucking phone changed Dante to that.

Edited by Nolan

It's the graphical style that really jars with me, I'm not sure what the engine is, but I really don't like the look of it in games that utilise it.

It's difficult to explain, but all the footage walking through the fair shows it off best... there's something about that style I really dislike, maybe combined with the first person camera and perspective at that point. Similar with the street/alleyway, and the expanding corridor scenes.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm not sure if its the same or different from their engine for Enslaved. I haven't really noticed much beyond how slow it is and the unbefitting animations.

New trailer leaked from Captivate.

I still hate the new look Dante, but the trailer is pretty awesome.

Awesome trailer let down by a not-so-awesome looking Dante. :hmm:

Well, I'm just going to take a cold shower followed by some self-flagellation. Known sexual deviant indeed.

I think Dante was looking tired for a long time, a welcome change if you ask me. I hope the gameplay feels reinvigorated because I was getting boooored with DMC4 very quickly.

I like it and I like the new Dante. :P

Hes changed since it was first shown.