NEurope
LegoMan1031

Could selling used video games become illegal!?

This isn't going to happen...or at least i hope not.

It could bugger up retro collectors, like myself, who buy games used as they aren't actually on sale new anymore.

And even if it is just new games they decided to do this to, if you see a game for 45 quid and then a practically new used copy for 20 quid, what are you honestly going to go for?

But then again this isn't happening.

Games go out of print eventually, some sooner than others, and then the only way to find them is usually in a used condition in a store or online. I'm sure thousands (millions?) of gamers have picked up a brilliant gem of a game in this way, it'd be such a massive shame for developers that even fewer people would get to experience their work.

Thats not gonna happen...So what stores like GAME, gamestation, gamestop )in the US etc...) can either lose a proportion of their sales profits or lose all of them? Plus that suits platform holders...push ahead with digital distribution plans, set up stores in major cities, exclusively sell through their own online stores. Only losers are the retailers...

CEX always argue that their business model is adaptable and will always sell...theres always some crap to sell used that they can decide to start selling.

I didn't think any retailers would survive now without second hand, I reckon they would do it in protest

PC software has always been very different. You're buying a license, with games it's different. The only games this should affect is PC games.

How/why?

It is true, we are not the owner of the game. The creator(s) are the owners, they just sell "copies". These can be classed as licenses to be fair.

If this ruling came into effect on video game re-selling, i think quite a few people will be affected. Namely those who just buy cheap to get points, then re-sell. Stores won't be able to make as much money as before, just on new merchandise. Would pawning them be classed as re-selling, because they would be affected as well if this is the case.

hmmm its murky ground. yes it could be argued that there is no precedent for this as videos/dvds/cds havn't had such laws applied to them, however once you've bought that product there is nothing else the transaction is complete, its yours to own. whereas in the current climate of online gaming for every user is it really too much to expect that yes the developer/publisher does make some money out of you to cover server costs over the next few years, NO it isn't.

You've never owned any game in the true meaning of the word own, much like you don't own PC software, you pay for that license and the permission to use it. Also you abide by the companies terms and conditions to access online features. Whats to stop them saying you must own an online license to play that game online? An online license would only come with a new copy obviously...you wouldn't buy a knocked off cheap second copy of a one time license piece of PC software and not expect to run into problems.

I don't think it will mean a rise in piracy either. You can pick up last years xmas titles for close to nothing as it is new so why bother with used? I very rarely pick up things used if I'm honest just wait for them to appear in a sale somewhere if I don't want to pay full price.

What about those books you own? Oh wait, you don't own those. What about those clothes you own? Oh wait, you're just wearing someone else's idea, you don't own that. What about-oh shit! You don't own ANYTHING! Gutted son.

I own the vegetables I grow... :(

Although if games are to become licenses then I want license like benefits. When you buy something like Photoshop you can upgrade to new versions for cheaper. Thus, if I buy Fifa 2011 I should get Fifa 2012 for pittance :p

How/why?

You know that massive bit of text that you never read when installing PC games/software? That's essentially what you are buying: a stream of text saying that you can use the software.

What about those books you own? Oh wait, you don't own those. What about those clothes you own? Oh wait, you're just wearing someone else's idea, you don't own that. What about-oh shit! You don't own ANYTHING! Gutted son.

Now that you mention that, everything could be classed as a license-owned product. You do make an interesting point though. Do we really own what we think we own?. Perhaps, or perhaps not.

It could be that in this circumstance, that we own these items. But in the media-sense, we don't. Who really knows the answer to this, because i don't

I own the vegetables I grow...

Although if games are to become licenses then I want license like benefits. When you buy something like Photoshop you can upgrade to new versions for cheaper. Thus, if I buy Fifa 2011 I should get Fifa 2012 for pittance

Haha, wish that only be true.

I own the vegetables I grow... :(

Although if games are to become licenses then I want license like benefits. When you buy something like Photoshop you can upgrade to new versions for cheaper. Thus, if I buy Fifa 2011 I should get Fifa 2012 for pittance :p

But you don't like Fifa? Stop talking nonsense Ashley!

Well, maybe I only bought the license, but I definitely own the fucking media it came on whether it be cartridge or disc, so I'm sure as hell allowed to sell that if I want.

Whether they try to use it or not is a different problem. Sega and EA are doing some thing similar, Phantasy Star Portable 2 if bought used and the online code has already been used by the previous owner means the new one will not be able to play online and I believe EA is doing this with some sports titles soon, I think the first will be Madden?

Although this could become a problem, as it stands, I see no problem with disallowing online access (except with certain games which aren't server based at all).

Didn't one company already say they were going to start having codes for online console gaming? So that if you bought the game second hand you'd have to buy a code from them.

I think that was EA for Madden. I know that Kotick also wants to do something similar but fuck over the entire fanbase of COD, by having a subscription service for it no matter used or newly bought.

Sega are just giving away codes in games, they currently have no plans to sell them individually.

Just read this on IGN.

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/112/1120315p1.html

What do we all make of what this could mean in the future!?

Wow, slow news day for IGN?

This is pretty old and very stupid.

I read this a while back in 3D World and this involves transferring licenses that are re-authored by Autodesk (which actually takes time and resources, therefore money).

Where as with games the license via the physical disk and the contents within.

Not the same.

This is stupid.