NEurope
uncle_buckman

Ebook Reader/Tablet PC's

Hi all,

I would like to buy one today hopefully, recommend any tablets or ebook readers? I would like an e-ink one please.

Barnes and Noble's Nook is winning at the mo'

Cheers

There's quite a difference between a tablet PC and a straight out E-Reader. If you want a tablet PC I'd get an iPad, if you just want the E-Reader part I'd get the new Kindle.

I get you, but I was hoping someone out there knew of a product that had the best of both worlds.

I have an iTouch 1st gen which has a broken home button a couple weeks after the warranty ran out, so an iPad would be my very last option.

I hear the Kindle doesn't allow you to put your own documents in the Kindle until you have gone through Amazon's email service first.

I mean, what kind of bullshit is that?

If you want a tablet PC then wait until the end of the year. There will be loads of Android ones competing with each other.

Right now it definitely would be the iPad or new Kindle. The Kindle is a fantastic book reader (I'm not convinced that the eInk display is actually necessary, I read just short of 3 books on my iPad while I was on holiday, but it's far cheaper than an iPad and the battery lasts longer) but the iPad does one heck of a lot more and is a far more useful bit of kit to be carrying around.

Notion Ink's Adam looks quite interesting. I'm not sure how much people can bank on Android tablets though, it all depends what Google pull out of the hat with Honeycomb (Android 3.0 for Tablets). Right now Android could, in theory, be really good on a tablet, but compared to the iPad and Windows 7 tablets it's a bit lacking.

The reason I wanted e-ink was so that I can read ebooks more comfortably, I get sore eyes on my laptop and I'm guessing the iPad wouldn't be any different.

That Ink Adam does look interesting I agree.

I'm not sure how much people can bank on Android tablets though, it all depends what Google pull out of the hat with Honeycomb (Android 3.0 for Tablets). Right now Android could, in theory, be really good on a tablet, but compared to the iPad and Windows 7 tablets it's a bit lacking.

If it's anything like Android 2.1+ on a bigger screen (plus the obvious media features that they'll all have) then I don't really see how it can be lacking (except compared to Windows 7, as that's a full PC OS).

It'd be lacking because it'd still just be a smartphone build of the OS, it'd just have a new UI layered over the top to make it more usable on a 10" screen. To make proper use of the tablet form factor the OS needs to be rebuilt and reworked to utilise the significant amount of extra screen space.

Skinning the smartphone build sounds good in theory, but in practice it doesn't really work. It's why there aren't really many Android tablets around at the moment. The Tab is the best of them, but it still feels like using an Android phone. Samsung have pretty much abandoned it, they announced it's successor (this time running Honeycomb a "more specifically optimised" OS) on the same day they launched the Tab. At €750 a unit I'm really not surprised.

If it's anything like Android 2.1+ on a bigger screen (plus the obvious media features that they'll all have) then I don't really see how it can be lacking (except compared to Windows 7, as that's a full PC OS).

I would argue that Android would actually be better than Windows 7 on a tablet. Android is at least optimised for touch. I would never in a million years want Windows 7 on a tablet and I'm not just saying that as a Mac user.

Multitouch was included as part of Windows 7 from the very start.

It might well be but its still a horrible interface to be using on a touch screen. Android might have some 'large phone' applications right now, but it still looks much better than using Windows.

To be clear, I'm not slagging off Windows 7 in general, just on a touch device.

Introducing the blackberry playbook:

Has a nice specsheet

1 GHz Dual Core Processor

1 GB RAM

7 inch LCD display with 1024 x 600 screen resolution

Multitouch capacitive display

Dimensions : 130mm x 194mm x 10mm

Weight : 400g

microUSB , micro HDMI and DLNA connectivity

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR