NEurope
Happenstance

Anime recommendations?

I always seem to ask this every now and again so here goes.

Im back in the mood to watch some more anime, doesnt really matter if its a series or movie.

I want something thats already been released over here and if its a series then the full boxset is out.

Long running ones like Bleach or Naruto arent really interesting me at the moment.

Doesnt really matter what type at the moment, i'll just see your recommendations and go from there.

I'll just list the stuff ive seen/got so you know:

Ghibli stuff (the ones I havent seen are already on my list)

Cowboy Bebop

Street Fighter movies and series

Full Metal Panic

Fullmetal Alchemist

Gantz

Chrono Crusade

Martian Successor Nadesico

Trigun

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Elfen Lied

Death Note

Outlaw Star

Akira

Ghost in the Shell

Steamboy

Im sure theres probably more as that list seems small but thats all I can remember for now.

Oh yeah one more question, how is the Fullmetal Alchemist relaunched version coming along? I did watch the first few episodes but didnt carry on for some reason.

Edited by Happenstance

Black Lagoon!!

Its good if you like a good action anime, can get the box set on play.com

How about some of Satoshi Kon's oeuvre? Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue etc.

I personally enjoyed Tekkonkinkreet.

Darker than Black

That's my recommendation, it's only the first season, but that's the better one imo.

o.O you have Cowboy Bebop but not Samurai Champloo...Odd.

Oh yeah one more question, how is the Fullmetal Alchemist relaunched version coming along? I did watch the first few episodes but didnt carry on for some reason.

It has finished. :) It is 64 episodes long. It is much better than the original series as it follows the manga up to the end and gets very exciting. :grin:

It goes over the first parts very quickly again but then it evens out and becomes really good!

It's one of my favourite animes. :D

Series:

- Wolfs Rain

Films:

- Tekkonkinkreet is indeed good, also:

- The girl who leapt through time

martinist is right, Black Lagoon is great. As another friend once said, it's like they looked at action movies like Die Hard and said "Yea we can make an anime out of that." and then they threw a boat at a helicopter.

Coolness is also right, FMA Brotherhood is ten times better than FMA.

FMA Brotherhood >>>> First FMA anime

Other than that, Gungrave is fantastic, and underrated (20-something episodes long). I heard little of the Dub, but it sounded pretty good to me.

I've also been watching Casshern Sins recently (perfectly legal to watch on Funimation's account on Google, apparently). I'm liking it so far, and it seems to be 20-something, as well.

You are going to hate me for saying this, but what are the best English dubbed ones?

I only like to watch movies while i'm doing something else, tidying my room or whatever. I've tried watching a few with subs, but unless i'm watching it with someone else I can't fucking sit still lol

but anyway :)

I found the dub of FMA to be more than good enough. Any other good recommendations for a series? I'm up for anything..

ha

You are going to hate me for saying this, but what are the best English dubbed ones?

I only like to watch movies while i'm doing something else, tidying my room or whatever. I've tried watching a few with subs, but unless i'm watching it with someone else I can't fucking sit still lol

but anyway :)

I found the dub of FMA to be more than good enough. Any other good recommendations for a series? I'm up for anything..

ha

Other than that, Gungrave is fantastic, and underrated (20-something episodes long). I heard little of the Dub, but it sounded pretty good to me.

The FMA Brotherhood dub also sounds good, but they're still on episode 26, and taking a break.

My only recommendation is Monster.

Of all the animé I have watched, none have come close in terms of story, characters and just everything else.

I would also peg it up from mostly everything else because it is NOT a stereotypical high school anime cliché.

To put it bluntly, it is amazing.

I really liked Death Note, don't know any details about buying it as I watched it on the internet.

I'll just list the stuff ive seen/got so you know:

Cowboy Bebop

Full Metal Panic

Gantz

Martian Successor Nadesico

Ghost in the Shell

Im sure theres probably more as that list seems small but thats all I can remember for now.

Excellent taste :D All great anime's I truly enjoyed those series a lot

For me I can not suggest highly enough

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal

Cromartie High School

Excel Saga

Mushishi

Those are the ones that come to the top of my head but those shows I could turn on and still enjoy them just as much as I did when I first saw them.

If you want some shorter series,

Eureka Seven

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

Trigun

Hikaru no Go

Rurouni Kenshin

Beck

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

And if you like it a little darker/weirder

Death Note

Monster

Mushishi

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ergo Proxy

For the funnies:

FLCL

Azumanga Daioh

GTO

And I can't end the list without mentioning Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. It's worth giving Naruto a look, it's one of those series where after 5 episodes, you'll know if you're going to love it or hate it. If you only try one thing on my list, make it that :)

I second FLCL and Rurouni Kenshin, but a piece of advice: RK has plenty of filler in the first 30 episodes, but the worthy episodes among the first 30, along with 30 episodes afterwards are some of the best shonen I've ever seen.

If you want to skip the filler, PM me and I'll help you out with that.

EDIT: And one more thing. Urusei Yatsura is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's a bit old, and it has hundreds of episodes, but there's no continuity (aside from the first few episodes, where the cast is introduced), so just pick a random episode and enjoy.

RahXephon.

You will not be disappointed. It ranks up there as one of the best anime series nobody has seen. I keep telling people how amazing this anime was and nobody listens; it's a crime. Music and love are massive themes. It is awesome.

At least give the rearranged movie retelling a go.

Gunbuster and Diebuster

Two awesome OVA's from GAiNAX. The original is super retro and dated and the sequel is a modern series. The ending is one of the best things I have ever seen animated, especially how they tie the series endings so many years apart together. Oh, and it also has a plan in it to evacuate the Earth and use it as a weapon by launching it at the enemy. Also boobs.

There are also two condensed movies of both OVAs for reduced viewing time. A lot of anime I like has a compilation movie.

Gurren Lagann!

How did this not get mentioned yet? Amazing premise, characters and animation combine to create one of the best shows in recent years. Abso-fucking-lutely epic.

.. also has been remade into two condensed movies.

Dragon Ball Z

Forget Bleach and Naruto. This is the original DUDES BEAT STUFF UP anime series, and it's now being rebroadcast as Dragon Ball Kai for HDTV with all the tedious filler removed to adhere to the core story in Akira Toriyama's original manga as closely as possible. This is worth your time, Dragon Ball is legendary.

Edited by Guy

Well, let's see what I can recommend...

Strike Witches

Kanon 2006

Clannad

Lucky Star

Darker than Black

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Shakugan no Shana

When they Cry

These are some wonderful anime's I've come to really enjoy. I own these box sets and their dubs are all pretty good. Though you need to import a number of them from the US and have a compatible DVD player.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

SCOOP! I was gonna mention Gurren Lagann, I'd not given the topic much thought beyond FMA: Brotherhood. good choice.

My favourite anime:

One Piece. I wish it was shorter sometimes just for people to get into it easier because 450+ episodes is a major turn off and it looks like a massive slog but it really isn't. :D It is thoroughly worth the time and effort, trust me. The point it is at now it is far greater and beyond anything even I had imagined, It has some of the most likeable characters I've ever seen.

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya. Only recently toppled by One Piece who I thought deserved the top spot after such a long run. This show is 14 episodes of perfection, I have it on DVD. Haruhi is my favourite character of all time without a doubt.

Its set in high school but the show is way beyond that, offering up some serious entertainment. Be warned though if you do like this and decide to adventure into season two prepare for some intense Deja Vu. :heh:

Lucky Star

It's a slice of lulz anime and so essentially there is no story but it is (to me) very funny, I don't recommend as such as I don't think its what you are personally looking for but I thought I'd mention it since I'm listing my favourites.

Then of course FMA Brotherhood/Gurren Lagann.

Everyone should watch Clannad just for the ending theme because its the cutest thing ever. In fact I'll post it here for everyone to enjoy!

Soul Eater is a lot of fun as well. :D

WATCH GINTAMA. JUST DO IT.

SCOOP! I was gonna mention Gurren Lagann, I'd not given the topic much thought beyond FMA: Brotherhood. good choice.

My favourite anime:

One Piece. I wish it was shorter sometimes just for people to get into it easier because 450+ episodes is a major turn off and it looks like a massive slog but it really isn't. :D It is thoroughly worth the time and effort, trust me. The point it is at now it is far greater and beyond anything even I had imagined, It has some of the most likeable characters I've ever seen.

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya. Only recently toppled by One Piece who I thought deserved the top spot after such a long run. This show is 14 episodes of perfection, I have it on DVD. Haruhi is my favourite character of all time without a doubt.

Its set in high school but the show is way beyond that, offering up some serious entertainment. Be warned though if you do like this and decide to adventure into season two prepare for some intense Deja Vu. :heh:

Lucky Star

It's a slice of lulz anime and so essentially there is no story but it is (to me) very funny, I don't recommend as such as I don't think its what you are personally looking for but I thought I'd mention it since I'm listing my favourites.

Then of course FMA Brotherhood/Gurren Lagann.

Everyone should watch Clannad just for the ending theme because its the cutest thing ever. In fact I'll post it here for everyone to enjoy!

Soul Eater is a lot of fun as well. :D

WATCH GINTAMA. JUST DO IT.

Haruhi is all kinds of awesome. Would like to add Shakugan no Shana as well for a supernatural action anime.