NEurope
Murr

Super Mario All-Stars

Maybe because SML1 & 2 where developed by R&D1 (/Intelligent Systems) rather than Nintendo EAD? Maybe they were just too obscure (especially SML1).

How were they obscure?!!! they were MARIO games! Also Super Mario Land 1 was one of the first titles other than Tetris to be packed in with the GB!

ALSO:

Super Mario Land sold 18.06 million copies,[4] making it the seventh-highest selling game of the Mario series

I think maybe your first explanation is more likely still fantastic games and their exclusion is not appreciated. :nono:

How were they obscure?!!! they were MARIO games! Also Super Mario Land 1 was one of the first titles other than Tetris to be packed in with the GB!

I just feel the level and enemy designs are drastically different to the rest of the series, that's all. Not to mention the inclusion of the shoot them up levels. I do like the game, it's just that it almost doesn't feel like a Mario game to me sometimes. SML2 feels more in line with the rest of the 2D games.

I just feel the level and enemy designs are drastically different to the rest of the series, that's all. Not to mention the inclusion of the shoot them up levels. I do like the game, it's just that it almost doesn't feel like a Mario game to me sometimes. SML2 feels more in line with the rest of the 2D games.

Yeah, it is different. At the time it wasn't that noticeable because the Mario Bros. games were still changing and evolving with each instalment- the formula for what made a Mario game tick wasn't set in stone yet. Its just when you say Mario Land was obscure, it sounds like you are saying it was unknown to many people, when that just isn't the case. :)

I hear you there! I remember being totally confused when first playing Super Mario Land, it was a great game, but didn't feel like a 'proper' NES style Mario game. I did like it however, but inclusions like the shoot 'em up levels were odd and never repeated. SML2 was a lot more like classic Mario, however it was VERY easy.

Super Mario Land could possibly be my favourite 2D Mario... hadn't really thought about it but maybe that's because it was a bit different.

Super Mario Land could possibly be my favourite 2D Mario... hadn't really thought about it but maybe that's because it was a bit different.

I'd have to say Super Mario World was mine, it just hit all the right notes, from the secret areas, the ghost houses through to the castles which were just perfectly balanced. I also loved the graphical style. Awesome game.

fair enough...guess it was maybe the wording...obscure when it clearly wasn't like Darksnowman said.

My favourite 2D Super Mario game has to be Super Mario Bros. 2.

I loved the chirpy overworld music and even though the underworld music has an incredibly short loop to it, it never gets on my nerves. And even though there are very few musical tracks in the game, it never bothered me.

Trying to make it through with each character and then trying to remember which was best for each level was cool. I liked the sprite work in that game too. I think Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach had a lot of character to their appearance - they just looked right.

Can I choose All Stars with Super Mario World as my favourite?

I can never decide if I prefer Super Mario 3 or World as a favourite.

My favourite 2D Super Mario game has to be Super Mario Bros. 2.

I loved the chirpy overworld music and even though the underworld music has an incredibly short loop to it, it never gets on my nerves. And even though there are very few musical tracks in the game, it never bothered me.

Trying to make it through with each character and then trying to remember which was best for each level was cool. I liked the sprite work in that game too. I think Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach had a lot of character to their appearance - they just looked right.

Super Mario Bros. 2 had a much bigger affect on the series than people give it credit for. Not only was it the first to allow other playable characters, but Luigi went from being a recoloured Mario to the tall, thin, long jumping guy he is now! The thing I liked about it was the light/dark world and the benefits of knowing where to put the magic door down to get the power ups and the coins. It really was a great entry in the series, even though some people see it as the black sheep of the family.

Super Mario Bros. 2 had a much bigger affect on the series than people give it credit for. Not only was it the first to allow other playable characters, but Luigi went from being a recoloured Mario to the tall, thin, long jumping guy he is now! The thing I liked about it was the light/dark world and the benefits of knowing where to put the magic door down to get the power ups and the coins. It really was a great entry in the series, even though some people see it as the black sheep of the family.

Definitely

Converting Doki Doki Panic into a Mario game seemed like Nintendo saying Mario can be in whatever we want him as long as the game works (beyond a cameo role as umpires and referees). It was a gamble and it paid off.

It really was a great entry in the series, even though some people see it as the black sheep of the family.

I know people moan about SMB2 being a mario version of Doki Doki Panic, but is it really classed as the black sheep of the family?

I say this because Super Mario Sunshine is that to me, as it isn't the pure platform goodness of the other games in the series and is usually ranked lower than SMB2, or disliked more.

Japanese Debut Trailer:

Don't really see the point of this myself, think I'll give it a miss.

Edited by Retro_Link

I love when Japanese people say English words.

And that's one ugly ass inner box art.

INCOMING!!!

Just got an email from NoE. Will be released on the 3rd of December, no further specifics yet (Other than that it includes all extras from the Japanese release).

allstarsbundle2212.jpg

1133921007647zszf.gif

Brilliant! Just posted about this in the Wii thread..so pleased it's confirmed here! Great xmas prezzie!

INCOMING!!!

allstarsbundle2212.jpg

:)

Was going to import it from Japan, I was just waiting for Play Asia to make it available but now I'll just get this. Now we just need the anniversary DSi/XL.

It is a shame that it doesn't include Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine OR have updated versions of the classics, but still.

Is this worth it if I've never played SMB, SMB2 or SMB3?

Imo, yes. Though it does depend on the price, also. However, I loved SMB3 AND SMB2. SMB1 is also quite good and challenging, but barely anyone plays through it whole anymore. Also, I played all this games when I was little(as part of Mario All Stars) and so I guess I look back on them with fond memories and whatnot, had I never played them and picked them up for the first time now, I don't know what I'd think.

Despite that however, they are classic games I think every gamer should have played, and I have replayed them in recent years also and still enjoyed them. So, to sum, I hope somewhere in here your answer is hidden.

Super Mario 25th Anniversary Special Edition: Wii

Nintendo Wii (RED)

- Nov 11, 2010

- 20000 yen

- New design Wiimote included

- FC/NES Super Mario Bros. (special 25th anniversary special edition) pre-installed

4t4idl.jpg