NEurope
Raining_again

What drives you insane?

I know what you mean!

Sometimes I just wish one of those lumps were cancer for all the time I'm damned checking them.

This man and his endless tirade of bullshit:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYIYbe3WAXflczRjJBTXDkmBZHnotqODb7ak3ZTsfwTaY6aiI&t=1&usg=__fUNJXoVgopVr1qNTBMjUtAhxFhw=

Apart from that though:

People who dismiss music because there are no lyrics.

Console fanboyism.

Patronising/snobby staff.

Shitty headphones.

Bus prices.

Coffee's aftertaste.

Owl City.

People who hate Grant Morrison* because they don't understand him.

* Boundary-bending comic writer.

Condoms. They really annoy me/kill arousal.

People who don't look after DVD's and CD's...just leave them out of their cases, all over the place...no pride in the ownership. *shivers*

My hair.

People who cant accept that people may not just not like Grant Morrison and just claim its because they dont understand him

Despite all the great comics Grant Morrison has written I will never forgive him for Final Crisis.

people who describe music they don't understand / like as 'just noise' make me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. I've found indie fans particularly guilty of this.

People who over analyse films. Just fricking tell me if it's enjoyable or not!

:hmm:

I hate.

What if the film in question is completely brilliant, but soul-destroyingly depressing? I don't know if I'd class that as "enjoyable", but still really good presumably.

:hmm:

I hate.

What if the film in question is completely brilliant, but soul-destroyingly depressing? I don't know if I'd class that as "enjoyable", but still really good presumably.

I wouldn't call that over analyzing though. I'd simply say what you said.

People who cant accept that people may not just not like Grant Morrison and just claim its because they dont understand him

Don't worry, I knew it would sound like that, I honestly meant exactly what I said; people who say they hate him, because they don't understand him. As in, that's their reason for hating. (This stems from a thread called "I Hate Grant Morrison" on another forum...)

Not if they just don't like his stuff because it's not up their alley. Fair enough.

Despite all the great comics Grant Morrison has written I will never forgive him for Final Crisis.

Hmm, I did enjoy it, and it was certainly interesting, and being a huge fanboy, loved how it linked into like...everything he'd ever written. However, I'm not sure that such a huge event should've relied so much on prior knowledge and stuff like that - most people won't have known half the references (I probably didn't catch loads too), making things seem really random.

While I loved being challenged/respected as a reader, Morrison's recent thing of just missing bits out of the story kinda annoys me...even if you can piece it together fine enough, and it's a nice antidote to the Claremont style of comic writing where everything is spoonfed to you. It disjoints the story. That's my main complaint about Final Crisis and his Batman run (up until he "dies") - otherwise I liked them well enough.

People who over analyse films. Just fricking tell me if it's enjoyable or not!

Those are two different approaches to films that do not necessarily exclude each other. As an example: I found Inception to be amazingly enjoyable. I loved it. Yet when trying to analyse it, I'm unsure if I found a bunch of plotholes, or if I simply didn't understand it properly. I so need to watch it again ...

I wouldn't call that over analyzing though. I'd simply say what you said.

Oh right, well I was thrown off by you saying "Just tell me.." etc.

Even so, films need to be analysed (overly in some cases). Unless they're like...romcoms/comedies. :bouncy:

re: films.

the idea that we should 'just enjoy the film for what it is!' and calling critical engagement useless or boring or somehow counter to the enjoyment of cinema is the kind of counter intellectual nonsense that pays Michael Bay's wages. It's insultingly stupid.

The heat, the unbearable, wasp filled heat. Go away summer I am sick of you and your stupidity.

I want to wear coats and it be cold and not have to sweat anymore!

The heat, the unbearable, wasp filled heat. Go away summer I am sick of you and your stupidity.

I want to wear coats and it be cold and not have to sweat anymore!

Totally agree, heat makes me so uncomfortable. Then there's all the insects and wasps. I struggle to sleep when it's slightly warm, was roasting last night. Took me about an hour to get to sleep last night.

re: films.

the idea that we should 'just enjoy the film for what it is!' and calling critical engagement useless or boring or somehow counter to the enjoyment of cinema is the kind of counter intellectual nonsense that pays Michael Bay's wages. It's insultingly stupid.

I agree somewhat, but the idea that people should not be allowed to simply enjoy a film without going all analytical on is quite elitist, if you ask me. I hope you support both types of film watching.

Well whatever the film requires. What annoys me is this concept that engaging with a film fully is somehow counter to the experience you pay for. If I go to see a film I enjoy but with some pacing issues (Hallo, Watchmen) then discussing the structure of the film afterwards as part of my experience isn't being some kind of snob, it's just going to the cinema and thinking like an adult.

I just don't understand how it became the norm to actively disengage with something you go and pay to see. It's crazy.

Well whatever the film requires. What annoys me is this concept that engaging with a film fully is somehow counter to the experience you pay for. If I go to see a film I enjoy but with some pacing issues (Hallo, Watchmen) then discussing the structure of the film afterwards as part of my experience isn't being some kind of snob, it's just going to the cinema and thinking like an adult.

I just don't understand how it became the norm to actively disengage with something you go and pay to see. It's crazy.

The problem with analysing a film is that a number of people who do it appear to lose the ability to actually enjoy what they're watching in doing so.

maybe at a very academic level, but why insist on entirely the opposite? In most cases, engaging critically with any entertainment worth your time is more enjoyable- and if it crumbles under analysis then it's shit anyway.

maybe at a very academic level, but why insist on entirely the opposite? In most cases, engaging critically with any entertainment worth your time is more enjoyable- and if it crumbles under analysis then it's shit anyway.

Why is it shit? If you still gain enjoyment from it before you analyse it, it's not shit.

Why is it shit? If you still gain enjoyment from it before you analyse it, it's not shit.

I enjoy Batman and Robin (1997). It's still shit though.

Yeah but you're Scottish so you don't count.

Filth.

No one knows I'm Scottish due to my stunning english accent. I'm a man without a country.

Hmm, I did enjoy it, and it was certainly interesting, and being a huge fanboy, loved how it linked into like...everything he'd ever written. However, I'm not sure that such a huge event should've relied so much on prior knowledge and stuff like that - most people won't have known half the references (I probably didn't catch loads too), making things seem really random.

That was my problem with it, I was gonna read Countdown to Final Crisis and Final Crisis as a jumping point into the DC universe, seeing as everything was gonna change after this.

I would have probably like FC more if I had read the backstory to it all, but when it comes to comics I can rarely be arsed to go so far behind on the canon.

Other than that, Grant Morrison remains one of my favourite comic book writer.

I enjoy Batman and Robin (1997). It's still shit though.

But you enjoyed it, so it still suceeded in some way - even though it wasn't in the way intended. And that's all I'm getting at, to be honest.