NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

Anyone want to play the game on PS4 before Microsoft remove the licence? :p On now for a little more until I turn on Netflix for the night.

Just a thought on the acquisition, isn't the age demographic of Minecraft players quite young? If this is true, are Microsoft potentially investing in these young gamers and, perhaps, rather than getting $2.5 billion back from this franchise alone, they are wagering on the kids growing up into Xbox/ Microsoft users who invest in their products?

Again, I don't know a lot about the actual specifics of Minecraft - I do understand it is very popular amongst kids though(I believe @Fierce_LiNk can attest to this at least from his teachingingings), but I'd say it's much wider ranging than that too. Tbh I recall hearing about it well back in the day, and never got on board - I still haven't to date. I've heard it described as a computer/electronic anaology to lego though, and I can definitely see the appeal of it across a wide range of people if so.

Back to your point of investment in/from future gamers though - how/why? Unless there's a Minecraft 2 or some sequel like that, possible MS exclusive(a definite possibility, given the price of acquisition), why would it keep people to MS? Like the ones who have it on PS/whatever-not-xbox, how much loyalty/future gaming would it hold if they don't make a Minecraft 2?

^^ Yeah I'd never played it before it was released on PS4 and I started playing with a mate who described it as "lego for adults". It's and has a broad appeal. I've been addicted to it way more than Destiny, but both are good in very different ways!

^^ Yeah I'd never played it before it was released on PS4 and I started playing with a mate who described it as "lego for adults". It's and has a broad appeal. I've been addicted to it way more than Destiny, but both are good in very different ways!

But...LEGO is LEGO for adults.

Again, I don't know a lot about the actual specifics of Minecraft - I do understand it is very popular amongst kids though(I believe @Fierce_LiNk can attest to this at least from his teachingingings), but I'd say it's much wider ranging than that too. Tbh I recall hearing about it well back in the day, and never got on board - I still haven't to date. I've heard it described as a computer/electronic anaology to lego though, and I can definitely see the appeal of it across a wide range of people if so.

Back to your point of investment in/from future gamers though - how/why? Unless there's a Minecraft 2 or some sequel like that, possible MS exclusive(a definite possibility, given the price of acquisition), why would it keep people to MS? Like the ones who have it on PS/whatever-not-xbox, how much loyalty/future gaming would it hold if they don't make a Minecraft 2?

Minecraft 2 doesn't really make sense as a product, at least in the near future. It's the sort of thing that gets added to and improved over time. There isn't much a sequel could add to it. The game itself is very extendable though, which is why it has such a large modding community. There's a very good good chance we'll see lots of paid DLC packs coming out similar to the sorts of things you see in mods. Even small things can change the game considerably and add that many more hours of utility to the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of subscription service either. And although a proper modding SDK seems unlikely now, I'm sure they could find a way to monetize that as well, and it wouldn't be that expensive to produce in the first place considering Mojang had been working their way towards that for quite some time now, and were getting very close to one, at least for the PC version. There are a lot of people out there (and some of them pretty talented) who already have a pretty good knowledge of how the game's code works, who have been producing content for the game for years, but haven't been able to monetize their work at all. And although creating that sort of opportunity certainly isn't going to make them 2.5 billion dollars on its own, pushing the game more in the direction of a platform for other people to create (and sell) content for is probably a step in the right direction. High quality maps and texture resource packs could also probably be sold, especially if they can target console gamers, who haven't been able to experience user created content for the game on the same level.

That was my original thinking - which is why I was trying to get a grasp of total sales figures/active users etc to wonder how much you might need to sell to how many people to make however many dollars etc.

Srs - does anyone have good/reliable sales figures for Minecraft? Is there any way of knowing how many still 'actively' play? Or a figure for sales over time?

The only statistics I know of are here:

https://minecraft.net/stats

But that's just for the PC version, and just total sales, and sales within the last 24 hours.

Total sales of the console versions combined are known to be more than double that of total PC sales as of a few months ago.

Still, assuming today was a typical day, 8000 sales a day isn't bad for a game of its age.

Then there's this, but it's really out of date (over a year old):

http://stats.minecraft.net/

So...this is now out on Xbox One...should I get it? I've never played it before...and I always seem to drift off when it comes to these types of games. I don't tend to enjoy sandbox games with no purpose...I soon got bored of Terraria for example. Am I right in thinking this has an actual game to play to "completion"?

So...this is now out on Xbox One...should I get it? I've never played it before...and I always seem to drift off when it comes to these types of games. I don't tend to enjoy sandbox games with no purpose...I soon got bored of Terraria for example. Am I right in thinking this has an actual game to play to "completion"?

Got it on the PS4 and had never played Minecraft either. It's brilliant and also supports up to 4 player split screen multiplayer or 8 player online. I'd say get it! It has a end game scenario so you can play the game to completion but how you do that is up to you.

Anyone fancy coming online on Saturday night? I pretty much finished up my huggge house in my world now :D

@Cookyman My kids always ask me if im going online with cooky now, i woke them up when we were playing at like 2am lol

Anyone fancy coming online on Saturday night? I pretty much finished up my huggge house in my world now :D

@Cookyman My kids always ask me if im going online with cooky now, i woke them up when we were playing at like 2am lol

That's awesome man I'll have to get you back to Cookyland as we mined the crap out that place.

Finally had some time to do some work on my mods, and I decided to improve the socket rendering.

QpflIhf.png

2rwEllw.png

that didn't work right for me...ended up with only the vita version wonder if sony have caught the glitch

According to an update on Savygamer you can get the Vita and PS3 versions this way then just pay £3.XX or so and upgrade to the PS4 version (so the PS4 version isn't free, but cheap).

the PS3 version never became free for me, so i can't upgrade the PS4....but the Vita version is in my download list

Apparently was fixed fairly quickly, as I couldn't get it working yesterday morning either :(

Anyone want to visit my world today? Haven't played the PS4 version as much as the PS3 version as it gets a bit boring when playing alone all the time :p Too bad it didn't get proper online, I was really hoping it would be added to the next gen versions.

I got the Vita and PS3 version free and the PS4 version as an upgrade for like £3. something. Nice! Thanks @dazzybee.

Still a bargain. Do the two versions link up in anyway? I've been curious about this game for a long time, so looking forward to giving it a go.

Yeah when you buy the PS3 version you get the Vita one free (and vice versa). Only still works now if you do this digitally (previously you could have put the PS3 disc in to have the same effect).

And once you get one of those versions digitally, you can buy the full game unlock for the PS4 version for just over £3. In my case, the only way I could buy the PS4 game unlock was to find it in the PS4 store under 'all games'. Doing a search didn't work for some reason. Guessing the glitch is over now though.