NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

This is what Notch has said on his blog:

Since 1.8 is still a significant time away, we’re going to have to stop being as secretive about it as we have. We’ll provide information about it as we go, but we’ll keep actual details secret. So, for example, we could say “added two new colors” without saying which ones, or “testing experience and leveling to see if it’s fun” without giving details on exactly how it works.

The update is pretty big, and will change a lot of how Minecraft is played, focusing on making exploration and combat much more rewarding, and bringing in a bigger sense of adventure to the game.

Already implemented are new complex terrain features, at least one new mob, some interesting new combat mechanics, a new lighting engine, and some experimental new gameplay ideas. To come is more interesting farming, bigger incentives to explore, and npc villages.

I want proper dungeon crawling, which is what was originally going to be in it (and hopefully, still will be).

The NPC villages sound the most interesting. Hopefully you can burn them down and steal their diamonds.

The NPC villages sound the most interesting. Hopefully you can burn them down and steal their diamonds.

ooohhh sounds like this could get fun :o

Latest from Notch:

Most of the basics of the game engine is in place, so it’s time to flesh this game out into something more gamey. More content, more exploration, more things to do, and interesting combat! Once this update is out, there will only some tweaks, optimizations and code cleanups left to the core game before we can call it a full release.

We’ve got a list of some 40+ things we want to add to the game, some small, some big. Some huge. We’ve finished a fair number of the items, but there’s still a significant amount of work left. While I can’t reveal the date yet for various reasons, we do have a release date for the Adventure Update in mind, and we’re hoping we’ll be able to hit it.

Jens and I are keeping the exact contents of the update secret, but we do leak some information every now and then to keep people interested and to stop us from going insane. For the most immediate spoilers, you can follow us on Twitter (@notch and @jeb_), or on Google+ (+Markus Persson and +Jens Bergensten).

Here are a few of the things we’ve revealed so far:

NPC villages

Randomly generated dungeons

New biome code

Fully working Creative Mode (and individual admins can enter Creative Mode on a Survival Mode server if they choose)

Critical hits

Sprinting

More farming options

As soon as I can reveal the release date we’re aiming for, I will!

Oh, and the modding support is happening, honest.

About damn time he got around the NPC villages! That was originally promised before infinite maps existed! Oh man, how I remember those days fondly..

Infinite maps are extremely fun, but there was something about being limited in size that made you think a bit more carefully about what to make.

For me Minecraft is the perfect example of how ungrateful people can be.

Especially considering the fact that the game isn't technically out yet.

Speaking of that, was the price of the final game ever announced? I bought it after the Beta came out so I'll have to re-buy it I guess.

Did you guys ever see this Better than Wolves mod? Im just watching it now and its pretty amazing, basically a load of the stuff that it would be great if Notch added

i dunno if there's still a server going for n-europe or not, but any of you are welcome to come over to my server if you throw a pm with yer username my way :)

Anything that yogscast have done on youtube = I've watched it.

Apparently the person who made that mod has been continuously flamed on the forums, so much so that they've had to do some serious damage control, can't recall why they are spamming it up, but it seemed pretty douche like given how awesome that mod is.

Meh Notch annoys me these days, there's loads of good mods out there and usually far better than the stuff he implements. I'm a bit of a Notch hater these days, but I do still love minecraft.

I may have to give the better than wolves mod a go, also the yogbox thats looking pretty snazzy too.

Yeah im exactly the same with the Yogscast stuff. Im actually watching Hannah Plays LA Noire as I type this.

Its a big shame about the Wolves mod trolling, hopefully it can still be sorted out. Ive got no problem with Notch really, yeah there are great mods out there but its still his game and had a plan for it to begin with. Its going slower with him yes but I think when its finally finished and released it'll be great. Plus the fact that he encourages modders is good, like with the adding of the texture pack section to make it easier to use them.

Also listen to the yogpod on itunes, thats a good couple of days worth of giggling.

The mod will hopefully be sorted soon - the wolves one, looks like everything is getting towards as bug free as it can be.

I've had a look at the yogbox one, it doesn't have npcs in it because the guys who made it had a hissy fit, but it's good a lot of really good stuff, I can't recall if it has better than wolves, I might have to check.

Yeah the Yogpod is good, ive listened to a couple of episodes of it.

The Yogsbox doesnt have Better than Wolves, thats what all the stupid spamming was about so they refused to allow it into the pack.

There's been steady news about the Adventure Update coming recently.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

There have even been a few screenshots of dungeons, giant mushrooms, NPC villages (Unfortunately it looks like the buildings are made of stone, so we can only burn the roofs off), and new terrain features released via Notch and other Mojang employee's Google+ pages.

PqYck.jpg

Ravine2.png

The reddish coloured blocks are actually just the normal stone and the new stone bricks, torch light has an orange glow to it in 1.8's new lighting engine.

Unnamed_Brick_Blocks.png

Notch has also mentioned that he wants to add some of the features in "Better Than Wolves" into the vanilla game.

Other than that, aside from the Adventure update we've still got Adventure Mode and the sky world thing that notch was hinting about to look forward to (assuming those aren't part of the adventure update).

Edited by Emasher

Haha, most of the development is now pretty much inspired off fan mods.. But seriously, the adventure update looks pretty good. Most of the mods I've tried with NPC villages tend to be a bit buggy.

I just want him to bring the Sky Dimension back already. I had so much fan with those sky maps back on classic survival. That or the far lands to be less laggy but retain the zany land generation (even though no one would realistically get there without cheating)

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8208212863/the-psychology-of-the-reticle-and-the-feeling-of

Also, I've been playing the Aether mod for a bit now. Its brilliant. Also, just because it looks 'nice' don't think its safe, there are tons of mobs (not the ones you're used to), and it can be nearly as dangerous as the nether if you're not careful. A word of advice though, don't start a new world just for the mod, as you actually need to go to the nether to get glowstone to make the portal to the aether, which means finding diamonds and obsidian as you probably already know. I would make a copy if you want to use your world with 1.8 though, as we don't really know how compatible the two will be yet.

If anyones interested the Yogscast guys will be attempting a world record for the most amount of people on a Minecraft server at 6pm. They havent posted the ip address yet but when they do i'll repost it here.

IP Address:

two.yogiverse.com:9001

I never made it onto the server, memory just went insane and crapped out.