NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

Wow. If you ever need to know a definition of 'stealing' then look up fortresscraft.

Is it even legal to copy a game?

Further info: Apparently it's more inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and done in a Minecraft/Infiniminer style.

So instead of just being a Minecraft clone, it's a Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft clone! That's... not better.

At least the person making it is honest about not having any original ideas, but I still can't take DwarfFortressMinecraft seriously. :blank:

I can't wait to hear all the 12 year olds arguing that this is better because its on the ekzbawkz.

Edited by Emasher

Yes. One notable one is MaXplosion, a Capcom game for the iPhone that is a complete rip-off of 'Splosion Man.

I can't wait to hear all the 12 year olds arguing that this is better because its on the exbawkz.

It will be in the Indie Games section, so they'll never even know it exists.

Mcoy was wondering if anyone could provide him with a hint on how to beat a skeleton spawner. It's quite close to the surface so Mcoy could always dig from the top to it so they burn to death.

Do you mean actually destroy it, or just kill the enemies coming from it long enough to place torches around it?

If the earlier, I think 1.3b allows you to destroy them (although, possibly just in peaceful mode). Otherwise, I think you've got the right idea with digging to it from the surface, although, if its more than 10 meters down, I would just rush it. Once you breach the wall, plant a torch right away on the first tile you select.

Yes, Minecraft. (see Infiniminer)

That's with the best graphics and all. I haven't tried turning the settings down yet.

I've thought of something else.

Try increasing the RAM available to the Java Virtual Machine.

http://www.duckware.com/pmvr/howtoincreaseappletmemory.html

The tutorial is for XP, but it shouldn't be that different in 7. I've never done this in Windows as I haven't had a problem running Minecraft on my new PC, but its increased the frame rate in the game dramatically on my older MacBook Pro (Which still overheats, but that's likely because of a different problem).

Also, increase it to 512MB, not 300 like the tutorial suggests.

I've thought of something else.

Try increasing the RAM available to the Java Virtual Machine.

http://www.duckware.com/pmvr/howtoincreaseappletmemory.html

The tutorial is for XP, but it shouldn't be that different in 7. I've never done this in Windows as I haven't had a problem running Minecraft on my new PC, but its increased the frame rate in the game dramatically on my older MacBook Pro (Which still overheats, but that's likely because of a different problem).

Also, increase it to 512MB, not 300 like the tutorial suggests.

At the moment it actually seems that the temperature stays around the reasonable 72 degree mark while I'm playing Minecraft. Maybe it's due to the recent update or something (I couldn't connect to the Minecraft server earlier). If things start acting up again, I might try your suggestion.

I've been into Minecraft again recently.

unfinishedo.jpg

Something I started but quickly lost interest in. No idea what I wanted to do.

workinprogress.jpg

This will be a huge tower with several floors. Monsters will spawn and drop into this:

dropb.jpg

The ride will continue

theride.jpg

until death is inevitable

deathawaits.jpg

Loot will flow along a stream to the left and be ready to collect.

I would be, but i play it on my sisters laptop, and she's away currently with it.:(

Actually, waiting for some more content, i.e. achievements / challenges / missions etc. Some kind of structure...

Actually, waiting for some more content, i.e. achievements / challenges / missions etc. Some kind of structure...

I worked on the achievement and stats system. One design issue was dealing with offline mode and synching the achievements once you get a connection again, but that’s been solved. We’ve got a couple of people in the office who don’t like achievements in games at all, so the goal is to design something that they’re fine with.

Achievements will NOT be chores like “cut down 10000 treesâ€, but rather challenges like “ride a pig off a cliffâ€. Stats, however, will be used to keep track of how many trees you have cut down. The long term plan is to show achievements and stats from the profile page on minecraft.net as well, in case you want to brag.

Source: Official Blog

I am still playing it. :)

I hope the achievments don't take too much away from the free, open-ended explorer theme.

Geez, I hate Ghasts. Annoying bastards won't let me build anything worthwhile in the Nether. And exploring/mining Glowstone Dust is nearly impossible without getting shot nearly every 5 seconds.

Killing Ghasts is only a temporary solution which lasts for about 30 seconds until new mobs spawn or move in my direction.

Well, I have almost 1000 Netherrack blocks. Maybe I'll do something with it in the normal world. They burn infinitely when set on fire which is kinda cool.

Really need to get back into this but don't have much time any more. If only this had been released when I was at uni, I would have spent hours on it.

News.

I’ve been able to focus on development a lot the last couple of weeks, and we’re hoping to get the new update out soon. It will include the wolves, the ability to change your spawn point, and a rather ambitious statistics tracking and achievement system. Once that update is out, we’ll spend some time figuring out exactly what to do with the modding, which should result in a nice modding API.

Source

Looking forward to it.

The only thing I'm really interested in at this point is whether or not he's going to implement the lanterns he talked about earlier, which would make the torches absolutely useless. I seriously hope he's abandoned that idea since it would make survival way harder than it already is, and way too hard in my opinion.

Yeah, starting anew will be incredibly difficult when lanterns are introduced.

Old worlds probably won't be harder. Torches placed and in the inventory will be replaced with lanterns as far as I know.

Yeah, starting anew will be incredibly difficult when lanterns are introduced.

Old worlds probably won't be harder. Torches placed and in the inventory will be replaced with lanterns as far as I know.

Yeah, but that just feels like cheating to me, and it's beside the point: that those lanterns are a stupid idea! I just wish he'd realise that.

I did read something about him moving away from that idea again, though, so it may be he has realised the stupidity of it after all.

It just would make the whole thing a lot more difficult, which to be honest isn't what the game should be about. Sure, it's a little challenge at the start choosing where to build and setting up in the first few days, but to me it's more about exploring and building than making it really difficult to survive. Building and mining will be so much more difficult without torches, which would stop people doing it. And it's called minecraft. So yeah, I hope he forgets that plan too :)

Well, exploring (especially caves) would be a bit better with lanterns since they emit light when being carried.

I think lanterns are a good idea if they do not require rare or hard to obtain materials and torches do not burn out. Golddust and Netherrack are rumored to be part of the crafting recipe. This would suck.