NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

How do I setup a server for this? Me and my friend are failing miserably at connecting to each others servers.

Lost around one hour just watching the videos, incredible how someone can be so entertaining just talking to himself.

I played this around 1 year ago, the free online version that's just world builder stuff, though I did more grieving that building.

Oh the day's of water glitches involving sand etc.. Those were good days. I'm such a cunt.

Just got this today. It's amazing. I was happy building my sky fort until I saw some of the epic things people are building on YouTube. Now I'm depressed.

Wait, let me get this straight: Is it a game where you build your own world, or is it an adventure game?

Both really. You mine/harvest stuff in the day, which you use to make your own world/buildings whatever and use the stuff you build in the day to protect you from the monsters that come out at night. Light/torches prevent monsters from spawning in a certain area, but they can still wander into lit areas, so you have to build well lit shelters (light to prevent them spawning in the shelter and some sort of doorway/temporary wall to stop them getting in). It's really addictive.

I think there's a world editor as well for people who just want to build stuff without the monsters, but I think you still have to build things in the normal way (I.E. by walking around as your character). Not sure if you have to mine the resources or not. Don't think so though.

I actually bought this a couple of days ago, and have been playing Alpha since. I actually borked my original world today by accidentally covering my spawn point in lava, but wasn't all that annoyed as now I get to start without noobishness, and am doing quite well already.

The start of my Sky Palace:

TehWinzorz.jpg

The main room with door to ladder in the middle:

MainRoom.jpg

The observation station:

ObservationRoom.jpg

The main (well, only) room from the upper level:

FromPlataeu.jpg

The flat bit is going to be the main room with the entrance room just being an entrance area. I'm planning a garden of some sort, with torches to melt the snow. Not sure if that will be a separate "island" or on the roof of the entrance room, since there is already a ladder up to the roof.

It's quite easy to do, but I've kept it quite low so that I don't die if I fall. I've fallen quite a few times! Mainly when I was building the pillar/ladder. I started off by building the pillar with a sort of staircase round it, but then found out you can put a ladder against other solid blocks, so I removed the staircase and added a ladder. Building the pillar is probably the trickiest bit, since it involves putting a few temporary blocks down. Trial and error should do it!

I'd like to remove the pillar entirely, but the ladder has to stick to something. I think I'll be going higher too at some point. Sort of like an upside down triangle shape to the whole thing methinks. Like a giant spacestation made of wood, with Skies of Arcadia as my inspiration (that's why it's made of wood instead of stone)

I think I might make an underwater section to my sky palace at some point. Might even make a tunnel back to the surface from it and use that as my main entrance.

Or I might have it as a separate area. Either way, it will have glass walls. Rapture FTW.

Well I managed to change my spawn point, so I'll give a guided tour of my ineptitude:

So, here is my spawn castle, with entrance gate clearly filled with lava:

min1.jpg

And from further off:

min2.jpg

On top of the roof:

min3.jpg

Breaking in through the ceiling, and hurting myself in the process! People in stone houses shouldn't throw glasses, or something...

min4.jpg

Passage entrance! I spilt lava in here too, but fortunately it seeped away:

min6.jpg

The passage itself:

min7.jpg

A downward staircase to hell:

min8.jpg

And the other end of the passage, in my original hole-up point:

min9.jpg

With a genuine mineshaft:

min10.jpg

From the outside:

min11.jpg

And an as yet unconnected outpost. Getting dark now...

min12.jpg

Lots of mining going on here:

min13.jpg

And the view out the window tells us the day is over:

min14.jpg

Awesome pics. I've played a fair bit of the paid version (survival) but got a bit sidetracked by the free online version. I ended up making a big pyramid with inside oasis, a two story house with glass penthouse roof with connections to a giant dice filled with water (swimming pool) as well as a glass+water lift.

I knew practically nothing about minecraft. Two weeks ago this excellent series of articles on Rock, Paper, Shotgun actually persuaded me to pay for the alpha. Haven't regretted it in the slightest.

However, I've found it hard do convince other people to get it by describing the game alone. The homepage doesn't help. One of my mates even thought this was a theme-park game, due to the video of notch testing his "roller coaster". 10€ usually put people off, too. But this is so worth it. ^^

Found this fan-made trailer today and it actually explains a bit better, what you're up to in the alpha:

This is my current home (yes, the tower was supposed to be that askew ;) ):

minecrafttowerbridge.jpg

The bridge will lead over the sea to the land beyond, but is still in construction. I've managed to fall down several times already. :/ Had to spend half a night swimming away from a skeleton the first time...

From the tower's top, I have a rather good view of the valley behind:

minecraftvalley.jpg

It's really amazing how scenic these generated levels tend to be. ^^

Oh, and this is rather funny. ;)

Edited by Burny

Damn, that trailer makes me want to buy the game. Curse you, lack of free time/need to focus on TESOL course!

This is officially going down at number 2 on my 'rewards for finishing TESOL training' list, right below 'sleep like a corpse for a week' and right about 'play an entire grand campaign of Empire Total War in one go'. ;)

It's on digital spy today that the bloke who made this is making $350,000 a day! Still I don't quite get what the appeal is lol.

Any servers for the forum yet?

I'd make one but there's no way I could host a decent one, the ping here is fucking awful.

It's on digital spy today that the bloke who made this is making $350,000 a day! Still I don't quite get what the appeal is lol.

Ever play with Legos, but you have to break apart every lego before you can use it, and someone is always coming along trying to chase you away from your legos or destroy what you're currently building? It's kinda like that.

Yeah, they said on Invisible Walls that he'd done over a million dollars on paypal! I think he's done a great job, the whole think looks inspired!

Ever play with Legos, but you have to break apart every lego before you can use it, and someone is always coming along trying to chase you away from your legos or destroy what you're currently building? It's kinda like that.

lol I used to love lego. I found minecraft boring though and clunky didn't really have the patience to build anything worth mentioning.

This looks soooo interesting. Shame that I still don't have a paypal account :hmm:

Edit: Watched a whole lot of videos and I can see myself having lots and lots of fun with this game...I NEED THIS GAME.

Edited by drahkon