NEurope
ReZourceman

Black Swan

Wow, saw this yesterday and it blew my mind. I mean, it was Aronofsky so it was always going to be great, but damn was it beautifully done.

story_of_the_year_the_black_swan_cover.jpg

tumblr_lbc28dKuhQ1qav6f6.png

In all seriousness though I doubt I'll be seeing this in the cinema, It does look pretty interesting, and from what i've heard about it and what you guys have been saying it about it I am most intrigued.

but I don't fancy going to the cinema alone to see it really.

Saw it earlier. Went for the earliest possible screening so as to avoid all the kids getting out of school because of half days in Edinburgh on Fridays (Never understood that) and thankfully, it was all adults in there watching it.

To put it simply, I loved it. I'll post more later but it really was fantastic.

Well as a future member of the film industry, you're killing me. :hmm:

But then I'm a hypocrite, I often download music (unless it's someone I like). I see films and music differently though. Hundreds of people have dedicated their lives for a year or so to creating this thing, and it seems so...horrid to just download it (illegally). :( (not a judgement on you btw, on the action)

I understand where you're coming from, as a big music and not-as-big-but-still movie fan. But on the other hand I don't have a job yet (student) and can't afford to buy anything other than stuff I REALLY REALLY like or go to the cinema often.

I have however paid for music before on Bandcamp. If everyone used something like that for both music AND movies, I would totally pay for my downloads because it's so convenient, and I know that the money goes directly to the artist. Is the iTunes store the same? I don't know, never used it, don't have any Apple products...

When I get a proper job, I definitely intend to go to the cinema more. And I'll make sure to download - er, watch your future movie :)

JonSt's terrible taste strikes again! :heh:

Lulz

I never said I like Athlete.

I do though.

fainted%2Blady%2Bat%2Bteej%2Bfestival.jpg

Carry me home.

I.

That was absolutely incredible.

So deftly constructed. There it is. What is this film classified as? You can't classify it. Yes. Fuck.

Suprised and shocked throughout, on a basic level. It's a rare film that can do that. It was horrific, intense, erotic, funny.

Mary Mother. It needs to sink in so I can talk about it properly.

I need to see it again since I was in a shit seat at the cinema.

AGAHAGA

I was shocked by this film.

I would say stunned but that word holds no weight anymore.

:o:o:o

You mean, you're NOT going to say 'stunned' to describe this??? Is the world coming to an end?! :(

Just saw this.

It was painful in the most wonderful sense of the word.

black-swan-portman2.jpg

She was sublime.

Beautifully acted.

On the subject of Aronofsky, anyone manage to see The Fountain when it was in cinemas?

I did. It was only on in a few cinemas and I had to pay about £15 for the ticket because the only one of those cinemas I could get to was in Leicester Square. Worth it. It's a film that benefits so much from a cinema.

God. This other forum I'm on. I want to punch every single one of them when they talk about films. There is a thread for "Most anticipated 2011 Films" and I swear every single reply is someone completely misinformed. E.g. "Super 8 is Cloverfield 2" "Titanic isn't being redone in 3D" "Harry Potter part 1 and 2 aren't 3D because of X" ugghghhhhh.

Then I go in the rate thread and see a review for Black Swan. And see this;

All in all 4/10

Plot : Poor

Acting : Poor

Sound : Poor

Visuals : Poor

So basically a must watch for me now. I mean I've only seen the trailer and can discount three of the four of his summaries as completely delusional ramblings. :/

:o:o:o

You mean, you're NOT going to say 'stunned' to describe this??? Is the world coming to an end?! :(

Not the world, no. But it seems the word is.

*rimshot*

Whoever wrote that summation Rez clearly didn't get the film.

I will say that not everyone will get it. Perhaps that's not the right way to look at it but just the plot, the characters, and the script are all things which will either click with you or they won't. Similarly, some will find it overly melodramatic and it is but I think perhaps people who say it as a negative point forget that it's a film about a woman wanting to get the lead in a ballet, an art form which is known for being melodramatic in its portrayal of subject matter, and her melodrama fits in with the art form; as though her life itself is the ballet and it is in a way.

What I really loved about it, besides the acting which was fantastic on all accounts (even Mila Kunis was great and I don't really care for her much as an actress), was how intimate the camera work was and how claustrophobic it made everything. I love Aronofsky's single handed camera approach because here, it lended itself really well to all of the psychological torment and the pressure that Nina feels about her part as the Swan Queen. It sort of helped to exemplify her mental state and how she was so fixated on wanting to be perfect that she was losing sight of what was really going on.

Similarly, I loved how the plot of Swan Lake was such a recurring theme throughout the film, not just at the end with the actual performance. With Beth (White Swan) being let go for Nina (Black Swan) and perhaps trying to kill herself, and Veronica (White Swan) losing out to Nina (Black Swan) for the part although nothing happens on that front.

And of course the general darker, twisted take on the tale of Swan Lake was interesting. The black feathers coming out of the skin was a really powerful image as were many of the scenes in the film, particularly that last fight with MK's character with the mirror smashing almost acting like a freeing of Nina's mind and allowing her to be that free flowing dancer they were looking for in the part of the Black Swan, essentially showing that she had become it.

Yeah, I loved it. Definitely going to see it again at some point this coming week.

It's a brilliant whole, with themes upon themes, the story of Swan Lake kinda...interweaved through every aspect of it. I hate the word melodramatic since it has connotations of being negative, so I don't like to use it. It might be the right word to use though. It was an incredibly dramatic and majestic film/story, but that fits perfectly within the fact it's set in the ballet world, within the story, with the meta-story/whatever etc etc.

Absolutely blown away by this. I experienced such a range of emotions throughout the film. I found myself laughing in places, feeling an utter sense of creepiness in others, and yet the film managed to transition between emoting these, and others, perfectly. I also appreciated the fact a gay sex scene didn't feel thrown into a film, purely for the shock factor. It was necessary, and in doing so seemed completely ordinary. Plus, my god. The scene was utterly creepy, and yet as a gay man...I found myself feeling...almost turned on. It was done so well.

I saw it today and really, really loved it. It's not at all subtle and it was pretty obvious from her very first scene who Lily really was. But none of that really mattered. It gave you an intense, claustrophobic sense of constant, constant dread.

I have the DVD. Why specifically the cinema?

The special effects, esp the microscopic photographic scenes, were absolutely jaw dropping on a big screen. DVD would almost definitely not do it justice, and i wonder if even BRD would; it seems any finite number of pixels could be detrimental to the experience.

I did. It was only on in a few cinemas and I had to pay about £15 for the ticket because the only one of those cinemas I could get to was in Leicester Square. Worth it. It's a film that benefits so much from a cinema.

Yea i know what you mean, i managed to find it showing in the farthest corner of Birmingham, and my friend & i were the only ones in the cinema.

If I'd known about The Fountain/Aronofsky at the time, I would definitely have gone to see it in the cinema. Only found out who he was once I bought Reqieum For A Dream.

So many people I've talked to about Black Swan have been like "Oh yeah I downloaded that". I start launching into a speech about the film industry and then the fact it's such an important thing to see in the cinema but then give up. And I can hardly talk when it comes to downloading, I just don't do it with films.

I watched this last night, totally had me gripped all the way through. It was not what I expected at all, I knew it was gonna be good, but I loved it.

Beautiful camerawork, and great acting from all the leads.

If I'd known about The Fountain/Aronofsky at the time, I would definitely have gone to see it in the cinema. Only found out who he was once I bought Reqieum For A Dream.

So many people I've talked to about Black Swan have been like "Oh yeah I downloaded that". I start launching into a speech about the film industry and then the fact it's such an important thing to see in the cinema but then give up. And I can hardly talk when it comes to downloading, I just don't do it with films.

Tell me about it. You can't win arguments with people like that, they're too thick to realise what they're doing is EXACTLY THE SAME as shop lifting. I bet they're also the same people that complain the movie industry is just remakes and sequels... myeah... because when an original movie like Black Swan comes along, everyone downloads it.

If anyone was wondering, this is the song from the

club

scene.

Edited by Paj!

I don't think I really have anyone to go and see this at the cinema with, which sucks!

Also I know this is gonna be one intense/stressful/pressurised etc... film!