NEurope
Dante

Catherine

New info:

The latest issue of Japanese magazine, Famitsu, has the lowdown on some new information about Atlus' upcoming PS3 and Xbox 360 title, Catherine. Created by the same team as the Persona series, Catherine has gained a lot of attention for a unique look and premise. Finally, Atlus has shared the first details about the gameplay for the title, picture emails, and some story elements.

Vincent isn't the only one suffering from these terrifying nightmares. It turns out that three of his guy friends are also having the same dreams. There is Johnny, Toby, and Orlando. All of which are friends with Vincent for many years and have a narrow-minded view on love and marriage.

As for gameplay, you have witnessed Vincent running away from monsters in an odd world during the trailers, but now you can make sense of what is going on a bit more. According to Famitsu, the action part of the game will take place in this nightmare world were Vincent has to run from mysterious creatures. You'll have to avoid monsters, obstacles, and other obstructions to get by, but if you fall off the level or get captured by the monster, it's game over. The level design looks to be a mix of 2.5D and 3D.

There will also be a phone email system in place, which was revealed in the last trailer. Emails will serve as a means to communicate with Katherine and Catherine, but Catherine is one to send "naughty" pictures to Vincent. How big of an impact this element will play remains to be known, but it could be interesting.

A new monster is also revealed. This is what will chase you in your nightmares throughout the game. The creature has muscular arms, but appears to be a female body or a joint body of a man and woman -- hard to tell.

Details are slowly being revealed on Catherine as the title creeps towards a Fall release in Japan.

P9IXq.jpg

Ioc2T.jpg

WW26T.jpg

ZWNSK.jpg

This game looks pretty intriguing. I'm really interested in exploration into sexuality. Hope its done well (probably will be, considering its by the Persona team).

Imagine handing this game to the cashier, trying to buy it... The holy mortifying shame.

I got over that kind of thing at like 14. Who gives a shit what cashiers think?

If I really wanted it I'd get it but I'd still be awkward. It's amazing how people feel awkward about buying this type of game but a game where you murder people is fine ::shrug:

If I really wanted it I'd get it but I'd still be awkward. It's amazing how people feel awkward about buying this type of game but a game where you murder people is fine ::shrug:

I dont think US/Europe will have the same boxarts as Japan also you buy them online if you want to buy the game.

Possibly because of other stuff you can do while playing it, your more likely to beat the stick than get a gun and murder people. Never a comfortable topic.

Final Gameplay Details

Finally, some solid details on Catherine's action component! Famitsu has a two page spread on the game this week, and the central topic is the game's action part, which is set in main character Vincent's nightmares.

As previously detailed, the Catherine experience can be largely split into three parts. There's the adventure part which is set in the Stray Sheep Bar and has Vincent drinking, speaking with his buddies, and receiving e-mails. There's the story part which tells the game's story through anime and event scenes. And there's the nightmares-based action part.

Vincent sees his action-oriented nightmares every night. During these sequences, he must flee from mysterious creatures while climbing a stage that's set up like a giant flight of stairs, with the aim of reaching the exit at the top of the stage.

The term "stairway" may make you think of the kind of stairway that you use in real life. While some screenshots have shown in-game areas that look like this, the screens in this week's Famitsu look more like a giant tower of blocks, somewhat like Jenga.

Vincent can push and pull the blocks left, right, in and out in order to form steps and stepping spaces. You die if Vincent runs out of time or falls, so creating a safe and efficient pathway appears to be one of the goals.

Some of the blocks that make up the stairway are special. Examples include "Trap Type" and "Bomb Type." Trap type blocks have spikes coming out from their top. Bomb type blocks trigger an explosion when stepped on. This explosion engulfs surrounding blocks. Famitsu doesn't mention any use for the trap type blocks, but it suggests that you may be able to consciously use the bomb type blocks to create new paths.

Three stages are shown in the magazine. They're labeled: "Stage 3: Torture Chamber," "Stage 5 Quadrangle," and "Stage 6: Clock Tower." There seems to be color and theme differences between the stages.

The magazine also shows a stage clear scene. This shows how far up the stairway you climbed, and lists a "Safety Bonus." The player in the screenshot received a "Silver Prize" trophy, which looks like a couple of cherubs standing under a bell.

Those darn sheep men have somewhat of a role in the game's dream component. By speaking to the sheep, you can gain important information which can be useful if you manage to wake up from your nightmare the following morning.

Separate from these gameplay details, Famitsu's information box for the game lists Xbox Live and PlayStation Network Compatibility. It's unclear what form this will take.

Imagine handing this game to the cashier, trying to buy it... The holy mortifying shame.

Really?

I got over that kind of thing at like 14. Who gives a shit what cashiers think?

This... and anyway, in an age where most games can easily be ordered online from many reliable sites, it's not even an issue.

Personally if someone came to me buying the game I'd probably have a chat with them about it, like when someone buys Rock Band or CoD or WoW from me. I like that.

is demo on japanese store or summit? So many podcasts have mentioned this I just have to download it to give it a go...or maybe the giant bomb quick look will suffice.

The demo they were playing was in Japanese so I assume it is on their store. I was happy enough watching the video though for now.

Yeah it's on the Japanese store. If you have a Japanese account you can download it. I did.

It is... very strange. The main game is just not what I was expecting, little more than a puzzle game really, surrounded by MGS4-esque-quantities of cutscenes and narratives which would appear to bore even if I did understand all of what they were saying.

And there was nothing adult about it. Why are they spinning it that way? It was a bit gory, but they don't market Resi as an adult game.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be picking this up.

Edited by Shorty

I played the demo just now. Im disappointed that they wasted such good presentation and an interesting storyline on an uninspiring puzzle game with tedious controls. They did include the ''thrill'' of texting at least ::shrug:

Game Trailers review: 7.8/10

Will have to look into it at a later date. Despite what the score says there really wasn't much bad they said about it.

^Late to the show with that video.

Like I'm late to the show even eyeing this game at all. Might give it a go some time.

I loved the artstyle when it was announced, but before it was really known what kind of game it really was. Then got slightly disappointed to hear it was “just a puzzle game”. But after some more info, and the video review above, it really looks my kind of game. I’d get it if I had a PS3.