NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
marcel

Rare and nintendo revolution

do you think its possible for rare to make the n64 games availible for download on the revo. or do you think microsoft wont let them?

but microsoft are letting tham maken DS games. but the n64 games are property of nintendo only rare needs to give permission to use them and rare and MS are not in 1 studio so.

Its an oppurtunity for Microsoft to make a bit of cash for very little expense so yes I think we will see "Rare" games on Revolution

how exaclty will MS be making money from selling games on the revo? wouldnt that money belong to rare if anyone?

how exaclty will MS be making money from selling games on the revo? wouldnt that money belong to rare if anyone?

Rare isn't company anymore. They are only developing team inside Microsoft Game Studios and Microsoft owns all right to games that Rare made. Microsoft could even put some other team to program new Conker for XBOX 360 and there wouldn't be anything that Rare could do to prevent that.

Rare isn't company anymore. They are only developing team inside Microsoft Game Studios and Microsoft owns all right to games that Rare made. Microsoft could even put some other team to program new Conker for XBOX 360 and there wouldn't be anything that Rare could do to prevent that.

what he said...

Well, Nintendo are allready porting Rares DonkeyKong games to the GBA without asking rare, so why not?

As long as the original licences belong to Nintendo, I think it's gonna happen...

For all you nuts out there: the Goldeneye licence was purchased by Nintendo and NOT Rare!

Well, Nintendo are allready porting Rares DonkeyKong games to the GBA without asking rare, so why not?

As long as the original licences belong to Nintendo, I think it's gonna happen...

For all you nuts out there: the Goldeneye licence was purchased by Nintendo and NOT Rare!

But the bond licence belongs to EA now. including the rights of the name "goldeneye"

nintendo let them go more like it ;)

and rare have gone on record as saying that the revo would be the perfect console for perfect dark thanks to the controller :D

If nintendo dont change anything (apart from fps and controls) then they can do what ever they like with them as they published them. But they still have to pay Rare and put their name on it.

I mailed NOA to ask who owns the rights for N64 GoldenEye now, I hope they reply :)

and rare have gone on record as saying that the revo would be the perfect console for perfect dark thanks to the controller

?! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

I COULDN'T POSSIBLY EXPRESS MY JOY IN MERE WORDS!!! (unless they'd port pd0 of course, then I would kill myself)

Well, Nintendo sold Rare exactly for that reason - rather than having Rare shared between Nintendo and Microsoft, Nintendo sold all its shares to retain the rights to DK and company.

Rare is not going to be on Revolution, nor is Conker or Perfect Dark. None of the Rare designed games are either (so PD and Conker's Bad Fur Day ports will not be available to download).

I cant see Microsoft leting them but then again they have let them make gba games....

Although Microsoft allows them to make handheld games, it's only because Microsoft has no handheld of their own. And it's not actually MS who release the games, it's THQ.

Well, Nintendo sold Rare exactly for that reason - rather than having Rare shared between Nintendo and Microsoft, Nintendo sold all its shares to retain the rights to DK and company.

Rare is not going to be on Revolution, nor is Conker or Perfect Dark. None of the Rare designed games are either (so PD and Conker's Bad Fur Day ports will not be available to download).

It is a fact that no new Rare Limited titles will appear on the Revo, however, with older games, I don't believe this is as firm a fact. Look at Square-Enix (disconcerning autonomous developer status), for example. They'll allow FF titles on the Virtual Console, even though they have an exclusivity contract with Sony right now.

Rare are actually the ones porting the Donkey Kong games, Microsoft allow them to work on GBA development, hence the other games they've made for it too.

Trust me, because Nintendo published the likes of PD and Goldeneye (as well as Starcraft 64, and the Star Wars games-I've checked), they can release them to download if they say:they were origionally made by Rare, they dont make any changes other than minor tweeks(control+framerate), and if they give Rare a percentage of the money made from the sale of RareWare games.

This is an e-mail I got back from Nintendo after asking which company holds the rights for GoldenEye 64 and if we'll see it on the Rev's download service:

Hi!

That's a great question, and in fact, I don't have a clear answer for you. Most of the information we have on the split is actually associated with characters. They kept their characters and licenses like Banjo, Kazooie, Perfect Dark and Conker, while we retained all our characters they worked with like Donkey Kong. However, GoldenEye was actually licensed from the holders of the rights to that movie so I really can't say. As a fellow fan, however, I hope so!

R.M. Rickets

So it seems either EA has it or MGM (correct me on that), which hopefully means they're not influenced by Microsoft.

Sign in to follow this