NEurope
ReZourceman

Mafia General Discussion Thread

I'm really enjoying the ssbb mafia so far. It's my first one so I'm hoping I can catch up with everyone else's experience quickly :grin:

I think characters would be better for the gentleman's mafia. Otherwise it'd probably be over really quick because all the good characters would just say 'I'm the detective, I'm the doctor' right away?

Blank roles seem a bit too generic to me, but that doesn't mean they than have to be known characters.. You can make up your own names. But I say, do whatever you think is the most fun for you to do.

Well, personally, I didn't have any expectations about my role. I liked being able to choose a character. I just liked imagining me appearing in the write-ups as someone nobody would guess. The DIY one to me was more random, since I don't know who all these characters are, I can't guess based on their appearance in the write-ups what their role will be, you can only guess based on their actions. the other one I'm in, however, has a distinct theme,

and I'm able to judge more clearly what the roles are. In that sense, I have more expectations in a normal game than a DIY one, just not about my own character.

To me, choosing a character is just simply choosing your description in the write-up. Of course, you could fish for certain roles by suggesting specific characters, but it's ultimately up to the host to decide what to make of a role. The best situation of course is if the host can take inspiration from the character without making the role too obvious, or 1:1. You can still fiddle with the abilities to make them more interesting. Or the host can simply disregard the actual character, and make something up. Too bad. You can still be creative with a DIY mafia. I don't see the problem.

That said, I'm enjoying my non-DIY game just as much.

It's only on this forum that the write-up is so detailed. Everywhere else, you just see the death scene / things of particular note. ReZ just ran a Poke mafia on the "hardcore" mafia forum me and Paj are on, and everyone was like "wtf is this?" when they all could work out exactly what their character did every night just through the write-up.

It's a different way of doing things, and who am I to say what's better, but I just don't understand why you all grab at DIY so much, considering I ran the first one as a kooky alternative.

It's kinda interesting to see how the game evolves differently with different groups of people -- it just makes no sense on this forum though -- with such detailed write-ups you might as well give everyone an investigative power and have no write-ups at all; that way at least the mafia have more chance of lying and getting away with it.

Yeah...

My shout gets lost in a paper bag.

I'm tempted to run two exact same games on two separate forums simultaneously, and see what happens.

That seems way too obvious....

Which is the point, the write-up are one of the main ways for the town to gain info.

Them being vague is good but when it gets too vague the town starts arguing over minor details and misses the big picture.

I assume you're talking about mafiascum? I came across the link when i went through the older mafia's. I've noticed the difference in write-ups. Personally, I like the narrative write-ups. I take it then, they didn't respond well to your mafia? I've registered on mafiascum, but it seems a little to hardcore to me. But let me know when you start a game there, I might join.

As for the theme I want to keep for myself, I have some ideas for a Battlestar Galactica theme. Not DIY.

I assume you're talking about mafiascum? I came across the link when i went through the older mafia's. I've noticed the difference in write-ups. Personally, I like the narrative write-ups. I take it then, they didn't respond well to your mafia? I've registered on mafiascum, but it seems a little to hardcore to me. But let me know when you start a game there, I might join.

As for the theme I want to keep for myself, I have some ideas for a Battlestar Galactica theme. Not DIY.

No, ironically its a HeroClix forum. This thread shows you have many games have been played :p

[My name is Amora's_best_friend on there. I'm the 12 highest ranked player, and I think I've modded the most games (over 25, I've lost exact count). At least all the hours I've spent on the internet over my life have achieved something :bouncy:]

Basically, having such explicit write-ups ruins the rudimentary point that the town is supposed to be an uniformed majority.

*nods*

I kept X-Men fairly easy to follow, and I'm not a particularly skilled mafia player, or as experienced as ABF (started at the same time, just didn't do it as much), but some of the write-ups in one of the mafias (think DIY), while fine, give away just a little TOO much IMO. Actually same with SSB too. Revealing characters clearly in the write-up always rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't see the irony, but then I don't know what HeroClix is.

Why don't you try a more hardcore mafia, see how we respond to it (unless you have already.. I wouldn't know)?

I can see where you're coming from I think, but deceptive mafia abilities can make up for the relatively elabarate write-ups. Like anoying shapeshifters and the like. That said, it's al a big puzzle one way or the other, just with the write-ups, both town and mafia get the pieces quicker, making for faster games. Which I'd prefer. I don't think I'd enjoy a game that can literally last months.

For the record, I'm not planning on calling the mafia don "The Godfather" or the Investigator "The Investigator" or anything like that.

And giving them names is a good idea. I will think about this.

By the way, I will hold votings when I start my sign-up thread. I believe your opinions at that time will be more relevant. Right now I just wanted to know if there was interest for either model (and it's somewhat divided right now)

By the way, I happen to agree with chairdriver. When I do my write-ups, I only leave the most relevant parts, everything else of note goes on the PMs.

I did it this way on my own DIY, but people weren't revealing any of the info I had given them. One particular case with Gizmo was infuriating, especially considering his character was hard to nightkill (and he knew this).

Point is, don't expect incredibly detailed write-ups (like the ones ReZ does) when I do my mafia.

On a related note, the Gentlemen's Mafia is an attempt at creating a consistent, concise environment, instead on focusing on wacky powers like my other two attempts. Let's see how it goes.

Well only having participated in the Pokemafias and the current DIY one. I had no idea the write-up was not meant to be detailed. I was just following suit. I would like to try a more hardcore game however.

No, ironically its a HeroClix forum. This thread shows you have many games have been played :p

I lol'ed at this one :laughing::

Villains United Mafia

Mod: St-Dumas

Outcome: The Society (town) wins (15)

Winners: CurBludgeon (Deathstroke), Antipathy (Zoom), DocDoom187 (Sinestro), Jackofhearts2005 (Batzarro), NAES72 (Crime Doctor), DarkCorsair (Mallah and the Brain), vicious x (Felix Faust), Magnito (Atomic Skull), bamf! (Doctor Psycho), Rokk_Krinn (Black Adam), turdburglar47 (Calculator), deathstroke1134 (Vandal Savage), TMNT99 (Warp), JackAssterson (Double Dare), MSU (Talia)

Dishonorable mention: The 2 mafias and 3 serial killers that combined to permanently remove zero townies from the game

We have tons of games lined up :) I'm certainly doing another, just need to decide on the theme.

I was looking at one of the older games, the first DIY one by chair, which was my first mafia game. That had like 35 people in it, sad to say that now 20 seems to be the max we can get for one game. Hopefully, the constant wave of games doesn't drive people away like it did before. Although the people who play now all tend to be active and love these games. So i'm pretty sure people will stay interested, especially if people come up with new themes to keep it fresh and exciting.

Oh yeah, I think that was the game where Rokk_krinn (the famously good player) killed 7 people in one night because he was PGO.

Then all the townies eventually got resurrected, so everyone got over it.

I was looking at one of the older games, the first DIY one by chair, which was my first mafia game.

I hated that game, just because I hate the idea of Jeremy Clarkson and characters I had no idea about.

To be fair, that is a relatively extreme example. Orange held particular poignance because it represents Greed, and The King and The Fool were buzzwords used to refer to Shadow King and Loki recurring throughout the game.

The town weren't told the players roles when they died, because the town had a coroner who could investigate dead bodies, and there was a neutral coroner who could investigate dead bodies, but won when he found all the avatars.

Basically, it was my favourite game.

Can I get a non-extreme [normal] example?

This is from a story-driven game (which I hated, because all the characters were from random franchises, and it made no sense that they were there, less so that there was a story about them):

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4458909&postcount=15

Notice it only really deals with the killer and the victim. No one else is mentioned so that they can't infer anything about other players from the write-up.

No one else is mentioned so that they can't infer anything about other players from the write-up.

My favourite kind of game.

Sounds interesting. The only question I have about it is will we get to wear monacles?

There will be monocles. That much I swear!

@Diageo: Depends. Some are overly detailed, others are incredibly short, but the important thing is that they don't reveal anything about the game itself. Personally, I like for the write-up to have at least some info, even if vague. It gives players a starting point in discussion, and the thing just snowballs from there.

Of course, I'd prefer if players discussed the clues and red herrings in my PMs, but that's just me.