NEurope
ReZourceman

Mafia General Discussion Thread

I'm not familiar with many boardgames.. I need to see it in action.

For those interested, I playtested a new set-up on mafia scum during the marathon just now. People were tired, so not everyone was playing properly, so the game didn't really go as intended. I got positive feedback from the players who did seem fully conscious though. You can check the set-up in the OP, and comments on the last page. The day discussions you can ignore.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62554

Oh and god damn.. Vote counting is intense when you have 30 minute day phases.. I'm not ever doing that manually again.

is a 17 min review of the game

is a 10 min review (this review specifically references Werewolf - aka Mafia. It also makes reference to a 10-player version of the game, so I'll probably read up on that and recreate that version here!)

is an hour-long playthrough of the game

I honestly think you'd love the game. IRL it usually lasts around 45 mins and is deadly fun.

I'm watching the game that I linked now (it's actually 30 mins) and they are playing really, really stupidly ignoring the info you get from voting patterns.

Has anyone played the 'board' game Avalon? It's very mafia-like, and irl games last maybe 40 mins each. I don't have a copy of the game (and I've not been regularly checking this board for a while so forgive me if someone else has mentioned it or even done a version...!) but would anyone like to try and do this?

Essentially;

Good guys don't know who bad guys are

Bad guys know who good guys are

Merlin is a good guy too

Merlin knows who the bad guys are

Good guys win if the win 3/5 missions

Bad guys win if they win 3/5 missions OR they correctly identify merlin after good guys win

A mission requires x number of people to do

Player who decides who goes on mission changes each go

Player suggests who goes on mission

Suggestion is voted on

Success of mission is based on votes cast by those ON the mission. ALL missionites must vote SUCCESS. Only one FAIL will fail whole mission

I've played the game irl with 6 people max, and there may be a limit to how successful the game would work with more. I also think it could work via forums or via chat, but due to the fact that there can be no 'null' votes (i.e. everyone HAS to vote) chat may work better.

Is there interest in this?

It got played at a Meat once! Or even twice! I do believe Cube brought it! I can't entirely remember it, but I remember thinking it was basically resistance/mafia with the elements you mentioned(Merlin and...isn't there a fake merlin or something? Did I make that up??).

I've often thought it's totes possibly to play Resistance online or something, though I think there's a big aspect of the communication(or lack thereof) that goes on that adds to it, but meh - never know until you try eh!

Yes, @jayseven, we played it at the last N-E meet. I have a copy of the game. Looks:

QXb2R2W.jpg

but I remember thinking it was basically resistance/mafia with the elements you mentioned(Merlin and...isn't there a fake merlin or something? Did I make that up??).

Yes, that's one of the possible cards. There's a few other special ones, too. As for the comparison to Resistance, it is a Resistance game.

Anyway, Jay, if you need any information or game templates, let me know.

Edit: Perhaps other games could work, too. I think I could adapt Betrayal of House on the Hill to a more mafia-like game (this one would be extremely different to the original game).

Edited by Cube

I'm just curious how much interest there would be for a new mafia game in 2018?