NEurope
Dyson

Bioshock: Infinite

Looking awesome. One thing that got me thinking, (strange though it may be but the trailer made me think of it) is what are they going to do with the music in this game? With the first two set in the 50s, it was easy to put together a soundtrack, and I'm pretty sure their trailers had stuff like Somewhere Beyond The Sea and others in it. With this one set in 1912, it won't have as many recognisable tracks.

I really hope they don't put modern era music in it.

Bioshock 2's multiplayer was actually pretty good. Probably the best online shooter outside the bigwigs that focused on it (Uncharted, Gears, Halo, CoD).

I've read that people thought the Bioshock 2 MP was akin to timesplitters? I have only one evening's experience with the online mode and, ultimately, it wasn't anything special. I'm glad they're not trying to shoe-horn MP into Infinite.

Official boxart

bioshockinfinite_boxart.jpg

That looks a lot like someone from another game. Coincidentally, he's voiced by the same person who's voicing Naughty Dog's next main character.

Generic? A rugged lead male holds a gun and stares into middle distance? Getouttatown.

HVZfw.jpg

Oh, come on - those box arts are completely different.

He's facing the other way.

Game got delayed again until March.

But here's IGN's First Impressions after a hands on with it today

Does anyone know if the story to this is in anyway connected to Bioshock?

Or is it possible it will be but they won't reveal that until you're playing the game. Or for those who've played Bioshock, does it just seem very unlikely to be?

It's just I haven't played Bioshock, but this looks amazing, and I'm wondering if it will be even that bit better if you have played the series?

If it's anything like Bioshock, going in fresh will just make the gameplay more impressive. :p

According to Wikipedia, they have neither confirmed nor denied if the game has any story connections to the other Bioshock games. I kind of doubt you'll be missing out on anything big even if it does, though.

This game takes place before Bioshock anyway so whilst there will no doubt be plenty of nods and winks to things found in Rapture (thematically rather than physically I'd imagine unless something drops out of the sky which happens to be found in the underwater city), I can't see it impacting too much. Any recurring characters (if there are any) won't mean as much to you but then it shouldn't really matter to your enjoyment provided they are suitably developed in this game.

Yeah it's the fact that they've significantly said the game takes place before Bioshock which means there must be a connection there somewhere, instead of it just being a standalone new series or something.

Just reading the development section on the Wiki page for the game, there are a couple of quotes there that pretty much say this game could just as easily be a new IP in terms of how the setting and world fits in with the other Bioshock games (i.e. it doesn't have any real links). It says they've gone with the name because it offers the same type of gameplay experiences.

So think Final Fantasy or the Tales Of... RPGs in that unless it carries a numerical qualifier (much as Bioshock 2 did), the gamplay is quite similar but each is it's own distinct universe. You should be fairly safe as a newcomer.

Yeah I thought I remembered talk of it effectively being a new IP, but I wonder if that literally is just because of the gameplay and that maybe after a couple of games the series will cross-over? Because why give it a place in a timeline otherwise?

Well I've not played BioShock 2, but it's difficult to imagine how a cross over could take place as I don't recall any mention to any of these events in the first game and I have not idea if a return to Rapture is even possible - and since I intend to find out by playing the sequel at some point, do not go spoiling it for me here.

So it would seem rather strange for this flying city to suddenly appear linked to the submerged one given there had been no links prior. A different underwater city, yeah sure, but I can't imagine them wanting to return to that concept. I'd imagine something in a desert or the arctic, or on top of a mountain would appear first.

And I wouldn't worry about the timeline. The number is just to give you an idea of the type of architectual influences and the style of art found within the world - plus to let you know how long the place has been in a state of disrepair and hint at just how bad the situation has gotten.

The Mercury Steam Castlevania games carry timeline numbers but they have nothing to do with the other games - same game idea, different universe.

That said, I think in the US, this comes with a free copy of Bioshock anyway but I have no idea if they are extending that to over here. And Ken Levine doesn't care much for Bioshock 2 anyway since he and his team had nothing to do with it - it might as well not exist.

Interesting I didn't know that about Bioshock 2. Does Bioshock end without any necessary sequel then (but they did one anyway). Does it stand alone.

Would kinda make me more interested in trying it if that's the case. How scary and tense a game is it throughout?

Bioshock 2 takes place eight years after the first game and stars a completely different cast of characters. I'm sure it had some nods to the first game, but it's not really a story sequel in that sense.

I thought the game was pretty disappointing. Because the gameplay is mostly untouched and the setting is the same, it just feels like you're going through the first game again, except the maps are different and now you can dual-wield. It's the typical sequel you get when you get a different studio to make a sequel while the original studio works on a proper sequel.

The first Bioshock is well worth playing, though. Of course, my favorite 'shock game is still System Shock 2, but not one ever wants to play that because it's old and an abandoned space station doesn't have the same draw as an underwater city. :p

I think the only reason they're using the name "BioShock" in this is because it's become a well-known name.

Couldn't be bothered with making a new topic, and didn't feel it necessary anyway, so here.

BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition - which is 1 and 2, plus all DLC and a new Museum mode featuring unreleased concept art.

It seems BioShock 1 only comes free with NA copies of the PS3 but still makes this a bit of a strange release. I understand 2K turned off the BS2 servers already making online none existant and thus robbing it of what little extra appeal it had over the first game.

@Retro_Link thought this might interest you and maybe some others late to the BioShock world.

ShopTo currently have the Ultimate Rapture Edition on PS3 up for pre-order at £13.85 which is pretty darn cheap whichever way you look at it.

@Retro_Link thought this might interest you and maybe some others late to the BioShock world.

ShopTo currently have the Ultimate Rapture Edition on PS3 up for pre-order at £13.85 which is pretty darn cheap whichever way you look at it.

Thanks for that, that is cheap!

Can't quite decide though, because I think I'd like Infinite to be my first experience of such a world/gameplay. Suppose I could just look at playing the first two afterwards though!