NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

Space Cadets was great

Shite I missed it! I really wanted to watch it.

2nd part is on tomorow, i am sure there goanr recap on there

hmmm was alright, those people are really dumb, i know that i can say id know that its all a scam because i know, but i really do think that i would. the actor guy is fat, so why would they put him through? gotta be a give away...

also johnny vaughn (spelling?) sucks, he really is not funny

Didnt watch it, although it did look good, becaus I was too busy watchin threshold. Anyone else watch Threshold?

So are the people in the base nearing their stay there now? I take it the big reveal won't come until the final episode.

Theres ten episodes in all and they're meant to spend 5 days in "space" so i reacon they'll do the take off on sunday or monday

I was supprised, it was actually fairly smart. Shame the people were so fucking stupid. Ah well, gotta love them.

Did it say how they are going to overcome the whole weightless thing? As in, how can they do that whilst on the Earth?

was pretty good not a big fan of jonny vaughan thou :( really hope they catch onto the fact it takes 2-3 to properly train astronauts and there having a few weeks lol

i want JAMIES SCHOOL DINNERS on ;)

The show has a good premise, but the presenter is so unfunny, tries way too hard. And the contestants, they deliberaterly designed tests to find the stupidest, most gullible people they could find. Anyone who worked in the armed forces or got an A level in physics was basically out. And the russian guys accent at the end. *sigh*.

The show could have been so much better, but its just like big brother. Also, the contestants only win money if they DONT figure outits a scam. So they are rewarding stupidity.

Its more generic tv for the masses I'm afraid. Valuable air time that could have been used to show re-runs of blackadder.

i'm sorry but i refuse to watch this program on principle. i think it's sick to mess with people's heads like that, i'd sue their asses if they did it to me.

i'm sorry but i refuse to watch this program on principle. i think it's sick to mess with people's heads like that, i'd sue their asses if they did it to me.

Just shows the lengths TV companies will go for ratings. hmmm, pretty soon it'll be Running man for real!!!

I've seen you before. You're the asshole on T.V.

Did it say how they are going to overcome the whole weightless thing? As in, how can they do that whilst on the Earth?

Appertly they are going to tell them it will be a low orbit, so they won't experrnce wieght loss. Though they must be really dumb if they fall for that.

My cousin is in this 'Space Caddettes'... Andrid is her name. I hate her more than you could ever imagine. She is a horrible, HORRIBLE person. She was especially mean to my half sister. Oh well.

Anyone who worked in the armed forces or got an A level in physics was basically out.

I think their description was "anyone who could name more than 4 characters in Star Trek"...

To be fair, they asked each of the people to name a close family member or whatever who could make a really important decision on their behalf, and then asked that person if it was alright.

Personally, I think the show is hilarious.

Sueing seems a bit harsh. I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on if it came around anyway. Its a televised prank, its not like Channel 4 has run into their houses and pissed on their Christmas presents, thats sick and messing with peoples heads.

Shame the people were so fucking stupid. Ah well, gotta love them.

That's why they were chosen, so they wouldn't actually realise it was a hoax. I thought one guy when they were about to get on the plane was looking a bit sceptical though...

The Glasgow Herald did an article on it today, she was saying that there were loads of phycologists who would've refused to do it for moral purposes.

Personally, Ive enjoyed this far more so far than any of the shitty Big Brother series; at least at the end of this, being able to laugh at them is a small consolation for the fact that they will be making a great deal of money. Big Bros contestants are equally as stupid and never get any come-uppance.

I personally dont see how this is much different from something like Scare Tactics, which is a freaking awesome show - at the end of the day its all a prank. So long as one of the contestants doesnt reveal that hes dying and his last wish was to go into space, I think it will be a good laugh.

________

GORDON BUEHRIG

Edited by Johelian

I vaguely remember watching this when it first aired and thinking the premise is mean but interesting - TV was certainly a different place back then. The fact that this got off the ground (lol) is testament to how messed up reality TV had become. 

I noticed looking back in the topic there isn't much mention of what the show actually is so:

Space Cadets is a British television programme made by Zeppotron (a division of Endemol UK) for Channel 4. Presented by Johnny Vaughan, it was aired across ten consecutive nights beginning on 7 December 2005, with the final episode aired on the evening of 16 December 2005.

The series was a hoax at the expense of its contestants, who were told they were being trained as cosmonauts at a Russian military base before undergoing a five-day trip into low earth orbit. In reality, the entire series was filmed in Suffolk, and the contestants did not leave Earth. The series was accompanied by a behind-the-scenes sister show Space Cadets: The Satellite Show, with interviews and phone-ins.

Anyway I forgot about it pretty much until this week when I read an interesting article on it and somehow went into such a deep rabbit hole that I have watched 8 whole episodes on YouTube so far. It's interesting to see how the set designers made everything but the more the show goes on the more unbelievably mean spirited it seems - and as such I just can't look away.

I'm also kind of surprised by the budget of the show, you certainly wouldn't get Channel 4 splashing this much on reality tv now - in a bid to make them believe they're being flown over to Russia they went on a plane which circled the UK 4 times. I kind of wonder, if they're going to the effort of making a fake space journey, why not fake the plane ride too :laughing:

I'm really curious to how the reveal will pan out as I actually can't remember that part (who knows, maybe I missed it, would have been a school night back then!)

And 2005 was such a different time, I really feel ancient now, some of the interview questions from the press in one of the episodes were so gross that I thought it was some weird gag put in for the show before remembering magazines like NUTS and whatever used to exist, "if you could shag a hooker or any character from Emmerdale who would it be?" was a question for these 4 people that believe they're about to go up into space and instead of being confused by it they just went along with it and answered like it was totally normal. 

Space Cadets, the reality show that never left the ground - The Guardian

Some interesting things from this recent article:

It was something that was ethically weighing on Vaughan’s mind as well. Onboard the space shuttle, the astronauts had to complete some increasingly bizarre tasks, like conducting a funeral for a made-up celebrity dog called Mr Bimby. Vaughan says that he intervened several times on behalf of the contestants, so they wouldn’t look foolish: “I didn’t let [the producers] do some of the things they wanted to get them to do, like getting the contestants to act like monkeys.”

“I thought it was pretty grubby. It was the last time I worked in TV, actually. When I started in telly in 1993, there was a real love for the viewers, but then I saw it as signalling an age of contempt for the viewers.

I thought this quote was really quite sad:

Dekker pauses when asked whether she regrets taking part. “I kind of regretted going on it for a bit,” she says, “as I lived in a little bubble world before this, I always used to think the best of people. Afterwards, I started second-guessing people and I became a bit more negative about things. That was a shame, as it was a nice personality trait to have.”

Alas, with two episodes to go I'm going to see it through to the end, it wasn't my plan to get so invested but weird things from this era really suck me in and I found it even more fascinating that we already actually had a topic on these forums. Here's the YouTube link if you do get the urge:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ9-tl3TJYaI_oSXhB9TPDA

I remember watching this. I was engrossed although morally torn. I still can’t believe that, even in 2005, this was given the green light & like you said @Josh64 seemed to be given a substantial budget.

I’m pleased to read that Johnny Vaughan at least intervened on some of the most embarrassing suggestions.

I don’t want to say more about the end at risk of spoiling anything. It was an interesting social experiment if nothing else, and unsurprisingly I can’t recall anything else since quite like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WackerJr said:

I remember watching this. I was engrossed although morally torn. I still can’t believe that, even in 2005, this was given the green light & like you said @Josh64 seemed to be given a substantial budget.

I’m pleased to read that Johnny Vaughan at least intervened on some of the most embarrassing suggestions.

I don’t want to say more about the end at risk of spoiling anything. It was an interesting social experiment if nothing else, and unsurprisingly I can’t recall anything else since quite like it.

I did end up watching to the end! I felt really deflated and sad for them as they got wheeled in front of the studio audience. It was clear by this point Johnny Vaughan was against the show as for the whole interview process he seemed to try to defend them and encourage lots of praise from the audience. I'd grown to like all of them by that point too, they all had an early 20's innocence to them which I guess this show probably destroyed. At the very least it was nice that they all got a big lump of cash at the end and they all still seemed genuinely excited to be going to do the real training in Russia - something that seems as though it should have been a follow up episode? 

I tried finding out a bit more about the cast since watching but probably due to a mix of the sheer number of years it has been and the fact they no doubt want to forget about the whole thing, I can't find anything about any of the contestants. Sadly I did find out one of the two 'pilots' passed away a few years ago. Charlie - the mole that lasted until the end - had a short article but it seems it was written not long after the show had aired.

Sign in to follow this