NEurope
SPAMBOT4000

Board Game Thread

One game I like but that apparently according to Jayseven isn't that popular in the UK, is Rummikub. Fun and simple game. =)

And incredibly frustrating when you're almost there, spend ages working something ultra complicated out only to find you're left with one number on the board and have to put it all back to how it was.

Countdown_Board_Game_content165.jpg

the countdown board game is pretty good but you need a dictionary also or it will turn violent fast.

Had a game of Rummikub last night, actually!

The hardest thing with boardgames, as Spambot testified elsewhere, is that you need a dedicated bunch of mates to play them with.

Long story slightly-less-long; I took it to a juggling festival this weekend and introduced it to my mates there who proceeded to read the fucking rules and blow my miiind!

For three years Catan (or Catalan, for those in love) was a staple reason to invite Dan over to our flat (lols), and the entire time we were doing it fairly wrong! So now I've taught teh game to noobs and I'm the fucking noob. These guys know the real rules better than me and it's... ok so I'm pretty OTT about it. Sorry.

Haha yeah, I er... read the rules when Dan brought it round and tried to share it with you guys but nobody was interested. But actually I prefer the way we play. As long as you're not playing with other experts or at a convention or something, house rules ftw.

For example, you roll first in the rules, but I always preferred it the other way, because rolling on your go can lead to winning, which takes away the tension of "omg if it gets to my go without me getting ruined, I can win!"

Also a city = 2 resources? That just leads to acceleration for the current leader, which ends the game sooner, which is like... the opposite of how we enjoy playing.

If there is not enough of a resource, nobody gets anything. Why? There's always train tickets around to replace wood :D plus, half the time it's because Dan's crazy friends had eaten some of the cards (probably).

Throwing away cards rounds down... hm, I never hang on to more than 7 cards so this never bothered me, but in fact gave me lots of "point and laugh" opportunities, doubling the fun.

Is there anything else?

Yeah, stuff like the order of placing at the start (which is always house AND road); starts with the oldest person then clockwise, then when it gets to the last person putting their first set down, they put their second down then the order is reversed 'til it gets to the oldest person who then rolls the dice to start.

Also; the resources that surround your second property are given to you immediately before any dice is rolled. You can only build a house on an intersection so long as the three connecting intersections are NOT occupied... so effectively each hex has a max. of three settlement spaces!

The game, under all these rules, encourages road building much more, and honestly every game I've had with full rules (minus the dice-roll thing, which I discovered while reading the almanac as my mates played on teh last day) has been exceedingly close because the limitation in expanding rapidly initially means nobody really gets a great advantage when it comes to the resources, and trading becomes a huge focus.

But yeah -- I've always really enjoyed the way we played it! Make sure you're free the weekend after next!

The "contraptions" are tiny and not in any way entertaining and "flushing" the toilet feels nowhere near as good as turning the crank. They all go on the board from the start

What?! Mouse Trap is nothing without "Add a piece"!

Hero Quest is an amazing game.

Tis good. Tis what introduced me/my family to the delightful world of Warhammer.

One game I like but that apparently according to Jayseven isn't that popular in the UK, is Rummikub. Fun and simple game. =)

rummikub.jpg

Rummikub is amazing. But its rarity is true and disappointing.