NEurope
SPAMBOT4000

Board Game Thread

I happen to enjoy board games as well as video games. By board games I mean games OTHER than Monopoly (a complete game of chance, no skill required)

Some board games I enjoy are...

Carcassone

Ticket To Ride

Hive

Khet

Pandemic

Settlers of Catan

Agricola

I kinda recommend everyone to try a couple from that list, especially Ticket To Ride and Carcassone. There are amazingly fun board games around but everyone bases their opinion of board games on Monopoly (which is notoriously shit, predictable and non-interactive.)

A good board game is amazing in good company.

Exactly! There is no greater fun than a good board game with good company. I love the things. I just wish more people around me did too.

I'd love to play some board games! I never really got to play any heh. Never even properly played monopoly (we only had the Junior edition, which was quite fun).

I played Carcassone once and quite enjoyed it. =)

I just don't have people to play board games with haha.

I would love to have a board game session at the next meet. :D

I too love board games.

I love Balderdash, and I really like Scattergories (which isn't currently being produced afaik....Woolies had the exclusive sale rights, so not sure whats happening now)

Also loved this old one called "L'attaque" played it with PaPa when I was younger.

Heroclix I also love. But I spose its not REALLY a board game, percy.

Anyone who hasn't should really check out Settlers of Catan. It's the best boardgame I've ever played and I've had semi regular games with friends for ages.

It's surprisingly deep, just on the tactical side of chance and open to all kinds of strategy and player interaction. And best of all no two games are the same thanks to a random board layout.

Doooo eeeeeiiiiit.

Anyone who hasn't should really check out Settlers of Catan. It's the best boardgame I've ever played and I've had semi regular games with friends for ages.

It's surprisingly deep, just on the tactical side of chance and open to all kinds of strategy and player interaction. And best of all no two games are the same thanks to a random board layout.

Doooo eeeeeiiiiit.

I'd love to try that game someday! I'm actually a fan of playing boardgames (find it very nice to play with people at night for example, just feels... comfy) but there's no one who wants to play. =(

Catan is teh awesome, but only if you get at least drunk enough to still find "anyone got wood?" funny the tenth time, and to make the game last 2 hours.

Dude, "Anyone got wood" is a classic. That's never going to stop being funny.

I played Carcassone once and quite enjoyed it. =)

I have that on XBLA (It was free), but I haven't really played it at all.

I've mainly only played the standard board games: Monopoly, Cluedo, Mouse Trap.

As I have younger brothers and sisters, I've also played the new version of Cluedo and Mouse Trap.

The new Mouse Trap is awful. The whole fun of the original was building the board bit-by bit as you land on the correct squares then seeing whole thing in action. The new one:

mousetrapnew.jpg

The "contraptions" are tiny and not in any way entertaining and "flushing" the toilet feels nowhere near as good as turning the crank. They all go on the board from the start and the cardboard that hold the bits together is very shoddy. The rules are actually quite confusing with gaining/losing pieces of cheese. It's just wrong.

I dug the old one out for my brother and sister and even through the stop sign was broken (so you had to flick the boot yourself) they enjoyed it a lot more than the new one.

With the new Cluedo, I confused my siblings with the character names. Everyone remembers Professor Plum, Colonel Mustard and Reverend Green, right? Well, here are their new versions:

Jack Mustard Once the most sought after celebrity football player, age has finally caught up to him

Victor Plum A self-made video-game design billionaire, that moved out of the dingy basement and into a life of luxury

Jacob Green Need help with connections, getting noticed, getting ahead… Green is the man on the scene with all the ins

Once again, it's just wrong. Still, at least you can just ignore these new names and stick with their old ones.

Edit: Oh, and there are chance cards that can be used in the new Cluedo, but I rarely use them.

Some of my favs (growing up and now)...

6a00c225286a34f219011017a73a62860e-500pi

connect+4.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkYL4A-G25uWDrepmSNvLhLn5lcZrKzUlmhisVKS5bnDI6wck&t=1&usg=__1dwDEgqqx2OmUmMPwNpSIwH0vAM=

pictionary_game-13645.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLO6IFn_V288yxfqSs9HpN6Z9yyZQuNb41zs9RLiJlJh2tQoo&t=1&usg=__CvfQbbZyRxmBXbIhh3xbNSR5FtA=

etc... etc...

LOVE a good board game me! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

So Jayseven informs me that we've been playing 'Catan wrong for years.

Oops.

A good board game is amazing in good company.

I'd argue a good videogame is amazing in bad company.

My favourites:

Trouse Map

Pricktionary

Asstickulate.

Catan is teh awesome, but only if you get at least drunk enough to still find "anyone got wood?" funny the tenth time, and to make the game last 2 hours.

"Anyone got wood for sheep?"

So Jayseven informs me that we've been playing 'Catan wrong for years.

Oops.

Yeah!

So I found a neat little toyshop up my local high-street (why is it so high, anyway?) a couple of weeks ago -- to find a chess set for the n-e meet on the way to london, actually. Well they didn't have any chess, but I did spy the Kids version of Settlers of Catan!! I asked if they had teh grown up one, and they ended up ordering it in 'specially for me even though I didn't actually ask them to.

Long story slightly-less-long; I took it to a juggling festival this weekend and introduced it to my mates there who proceeded to read the fucking rules and blow my miiind!

For three years Catan (or Catalan, for those in love) was a staple reason to invite Dan over to our flat (lols), and the entire time we were doing it fairly wrong! So now I've taught teh game to noobs and I'm the fucking noob. These guys know the real rules better than me and it's... ok so I'm pretty OTT about it. Sorry.

Also; Carcassonne on XBLA for me too -- enjoyable, very serene music, must play you (cube) online for achievement's sake :P

This toy shop I mentioned also does a board games night once a month. I forget the name of a game that he recommended me, but I may well report back here with details -- in two months time etc BLAAGSjsadgasiuoinobodycares

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkYL4A-G25uWDrepmSNvLhLn5lcZrKzUlmhisVKS5bnDI6wck&t=1&usg=__1dwDEgqqx2OmUmMPwNpSIwH0vAM=

Ah yes, I remember this. Many an hour was spent playing that and getting frustrated at not being able to clear it.

And Cube, sounds like they've royally wrecked Mouse Trap. I loved playing that when I was younger and as you say, part of the fun was building the contraptions and they've taken that away :nono:

Must say, I haven't played a board game in ages. Think the last one I played was Poleconomy or something along those lines and even then, I didn't fully understand it. But then I'm not really surprised I haven't played any board games as I've not seen them in any stores, other than seeing the likes of Connect4 and similar stuff.

I would love to have a board game session at the next meet. :D

Indeed, that would be sweet. Play it right after the Consequences* but before Paper Telephone* (*which is something i think needs to be made a new N-E meet tradition)

I'm not really a board game person. I have played Scrabble, Pictonary and Mouse Trap in the past. All great games i must add. Probably because there doesn't seem to be anyone around to play games with, except online games that is.

One game I like but that apparently according to Jayseven isn't that popular in the UK, is Rummikub. Fun and simple game. =)

rummikub.jpg