NEurope
lostmario

Your favourite arcade games from back in the day

After the success of the cartoon intro thread, I thought I'd move onto everyones favourite arcade games.

When you walked into the arcade as a kid, what games did you look / hear for and spend all your money on?

Some of mine:

WWF Wrestlefest

Simpsons

Turtles

Daytona USA

Pac-Land

We don't have an arcade so I never went. =(

It's only in the last few years I've been to arcades (still only a handful of times). But yeah because of that I don't have any favourites. I did play a Simpsons arcade game I think and I enjoyed it muchly. =D

Snow Bros!

See 00.41 for actual gameplay... I remember this as our 'local' skittles place had this arcade cabinet and whenever I went there - years ago - I would always play this! :grin:

i'm still waiting for it to come to the VC as it was released on home consoles too, even if it's still slightly inferior to the arcade version it's still a decent game whatever format it's played in, I just have particularly fond memories of the arcade version. :smile:

I remember playing Daytona and Turtles whenever i saw them in the arcade, don't recall playing much else. To be fair, i didn't go to the arcades much. More of a console gamer.

I did play Sega Rally as well though

And also Time Crisis.

Turtles and The Simpsons pretty much covers it for me! Along with Time Crisis and other shooters.

Also Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, not sure I ever played it though, think I might have done once...

I had a cd with hundreds of arcade games on it for the PC, including Pac-land, snow bros and TMNT (also had other gems like golden axe, king of the monsters, ghouls 'n' ghosts and so on). I wasted countless hours playing those.

Never did play many arcade machines growing up. Did play The Simpsons Arcade game though, as there was a machine at the local ice rink. Many an hour was spent on that game. Really good from what I remember.

Other than that, I've played a few bits and pieces elsewhere but the only other one I can remember properly is House of the Dead 2, where myself and about 5 others kept topping up the machine with money until we got to the last boss and ran out of both credits and money to keep going. :nono: Typical.

Never tried an arcade. Such a thing doesn't exist in Denmark AFAIK.

Are you sure you just haven't been outside before?

I've never had an arcade near me, are they that common?

I've always associated them with seaside resorts where you get all the coin/penny games in there aswell. And London has the trocadero obviously, so maybe they're more a city thing?

Other than that, you just get a few at bowling alleys and lazer quests.

Are you sure you just haven't been outside before?

OUTSIDE?! ARE YOU INSANE?!

On a serious note, it's possible they have arcades in Copenhagen and some of the other big cities. But arcades don't seem to have ever been a huge thing in Denmark.

OUTSIDE?! ARE YOU INSANE?!

On a serious note, it's possible they have arcades in Copenhagen and some of the other big cities. But arcades don't seem to have ever been a huge thing in Denmark.

Same here I think. Never seen an arcade around here. There might be in big cities but I don't know. Only time I've ever seen arcade machines was a single machine in random places, or at the fair (but they always seem to be a bit crappy).

I was just referring to the fact that Dannyboy always says stuff doesn't exist in Denmark. Next he'll tell us that there aren't any girls.

I was just referring to the fact that Dannyboy always says stuff doesn't exist in Denmark. Next he'll tell us that there aren't any girls.

Do you think he'd be out of jail if there were?

I had loads of arcades near me. Unfortunately, Rhyl is an absolute shithole and it had no good arcade games. There weren't even any that were worth playing for free (my Dad worked in one and had a key that enabled free plays).

I'm afraid it's true, though. Not the girls part, mind you. There are a lot of girls in Denmark. And most of them are incredibly hot. It's hard to focus on anything, really.

Alien vs Predator will always be to me an awesome arcade game, rather than the shit FPS's they seem to love making.

This was my Streets of Rage outside the house.

Alien vs Predator will always be to me an awesome arcade game, rather than the shit FPS's they seem to love making.

This was my Streets of Rage outside the house.

Whaaaat? The first two are amazing games. This is crazy talk.

I've got fond memories of playing some form of Tekken game at arcades. It might have been Tag Tournament, but before that actually made an appearance on the PS2.

Then, I've also got lots of memories based on Time Crisis. Really quite fun to play at arcades, even though I suck.

Only time i got to play in the arcades was when we went to my nanan's caravan at Cleethorpes, best times I ever had there as a kid in the summer holidays

Simpsons arcade but it had to be the big ass couch cabinet with the Simpsons TV as the monitor, did try one with the normal arcade cabinet once, was never the same.

Pac Land, loved that so much

Turtle, always had to play that

Rolling Thunder, was good played it when I was in the mood for it

Wrestlefest, was amazing

Street Fighter 2 who could not play that, it's street fighter

Final Fight, HAGGAR

Ultimate Mortal Kombat I kinda prefered the Console version

Primal rage *fart*

Robocop, was Epic as well

Grabber Machines who can't say they ever played these, I managed to get like 5 in one game once was funny, they did just fill it up though it was brimming to come down.

Penny Pushers a given as well, if you were feeling dangerous you'd use the 20p pushers =o

I'm sure there were more, there were all the Fruit Machines as well, I do love Fruit machines though, but there's been so bloody many I can't remember them all bar the odd couple

No gameplay needs to be shown for the game I am about to talk about, I do not even need to tell you the name. But the music alone will truly show if you know this game, and even today it is AWESOME!!!!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

street fighter 2: turbo

bubble bobble

still hold up well today unlike simpsons and turtles :D

My experience with arcade(machines) is extremely limited.

I did get to play this gem though:

Asterix & Obelix (arcade - never ported)