NEurope
Frank

Phobias...

With some research I found out that there was another 'Phobia' thread but that was back in 2007 with not many posts so I think that it's safe enough to bring it back.

If you like, you can tell everyone your fears however strange they are. I'm sure there could be a few funny stories.

Also, if there is any story about how you scared someone or they scared you that is also welcome. I seen a few Comedy Rainbow videos where Rez scares, his girlfriend I think or just some girl, so that's why I think stories would be good.

So feel free to discuss :)

I have arachnophobia, fear of spiders - and to a lesser degree related creatures. I can barely look at pictures of tarantulas and the like. While finding most insects pretty cool, I also generally dislike them.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

used to get agateophobia alot of the time when I was schitzophrenic. Also used ot get agoraphobia untill a few years ago. Used to have full blown panic attacks in public which led one security guard in a shopping center to call me an ambulance since he thought I was having a heart attack..... kind of feel stupid about it now

I have a really odd fear...

Overhead power cables.. Yes :/

Because I have no depth perception it sometimes feels like if I see one its a few centimetres from my face. Things that are abnormally sized freak me out/confuse me a little...

I have arachnophobia, fear of spiders - and to a lesser degree related creatures. I can barely look at pictures of tarantulas and the like. While finding most insects pretty cool, I also generally dislike them.

171_Lycosa_tarantula_by_Bullter.jpg

I suffer from anatidaephobia pretty badly. Considering seeing a quack about it.

a mild fear of a few things like " being upside down" and sometimes heights but even I go on all the highest rollarcoasters and shit so I don't think it counts.

I don't even flinch ha

Hmm...blood and blood vessels. And this is an odd one, because the circumstances leading to a reaction vary quite a lot. I don't think I've ever had a reaction from a movie or a video game, even though I really don't like excessive gore. Also, I'm fine with cuts and nosebleeds too...However, hearing a nurse describe a person with blood gushing from their neck...almost fainted. Same thing in biology class, but now with a video of human embryos. Those black eyes and bulging veins...Third case I remember was also biology or health class, this time with me imagining the blood pumping through my veins...

It's quite rare for me to get these reactions, but there surely is a pattern here...Maybe it's the mental image of blood vessels that triggers a reaction, don't know...Still, I did try to induce the reaction once by thinking, but couldn't get such a strong one. Although, I was lying down, so that might've actually prevented it...

Edited by Ville

Gah, that didn't exactly work, Dan! :shakehead (Though it did have a cute face ...)

Regarding gore, I'm a bit strange. I don't mind blood, intestines etc. at all - as long as the person's dead! What I can't handle about gore is exemplified in the Saw films: The fact that they're experiencing the horror and pain. I don't even want to think about it. It truly fucks with my mind. Argh!

Here's a better spider fobia cure.

happy-spider.jpg

Edit: Another.

1280455769244.jpg

Edited by Shino

Haha!! That's quite cute.

If it was near me I'd be done in a second, though. Or using the closest person as a human shield/missile.

Let me just say that spider pictures don't help! How about posting them in spoilers or something? That'd be much appreciated.

Let me just say that spider pictures don't help! How about posting them in spoilers or something? That'd be much appreciated.

That won't cure you. Maybe you have an anthropomorphic phobia too.

To be fair, you did say it was a spider phobia cure. Which it wasn't. :heh: The fear isn't rational, thus rationality won't help. Phobias are better dealt with through therapy.

I don't have any particular "phobias", though I have a real thing to do with the extremes of being closed in (specifically having my arms restricted), and then fear of not being kept in or protected in situations when I may as well be. Like on cliffs and stuff. I'm not scared of the height, just the lack of safety. And I think I hate most when people just take it all in their stride. Walking/leaning over a cliff edge POINTLESSLY. When you can see the same thing from a good distance away. Ugh. My aunt and cousin did that in Orkney right after I asked them not to, and I just walked off. I'd rather leave, push them off myself or jump off myself. I can't BEAR the moment/s when risk is most high. Either do it don't, fate.

I famously said I'd rather just jump onto the tracks of the german subway than watch someone dance really close to the edge. At least the "......!!!!..!1!!" -ness wouldn't be there.

That's more a hatred than fear.

I also can't look at soles of feet, or broken/bloody fingernails/toenails. I can't look when people prick their fingertip in films and squeeze a drop of blood out. Just typing made me take a really weird intake of breath. Ah, jeez.

I don't think I have any real phobias, but I do have fears.

I have a bit of a social fear, where I'm afraid of social situations (going out in public, meeting new people, talking to strangers). It's gotten a bit better over the years, but I still have it.

The worst is with phones, I have this big fear of making phonecalls to strangers or picking up the phone when I don't know who is calling. It's really bad. >.>;

I haaaate spiders, but I don't fear them. I just don't want them close. I can't kill them though, I always capture them in a cup with a paper and then put them outside.

Though I'm really not afraid of heights (I quite love them), like Paj I am afraid of falling. The sense of having no security, nothing that keeps you from falling can scare me lots. Brrr.

Other than that, I get a bit paranoid when I'm home alone at night. I keep hearing noise everywhere. Similarly I can get a bit scared in the dark, especially when I'm outside. Basically I'm a big scaredy cat. =P

I also think I have a bit of claustrophobia. When I watch people climb into very small areas where they might get stuck, I get sweaty and nervous.

EDIT: Looking back at that message, there's probably some sort of innuendo somewhere.

I think I have slight aviophobia, it's doesn't stop me getting on planes but I don't really like it. Especially when the plane takes off, I pretty much sit back and hold on tight. Once in the air I'm ok, turbulance freaks me out if it's particularly bad.

I like pictures of spiders, but when they're irl, that's bang out of order.

I blame my Mum for making me fear them, her screeching is engrained into my brain from early childhood (she also screeches when sees spiders, Haii-Ohhhh!)

Stupid classical conditioning.

DSC01238-2005.09.02-11.57.41.jpg

Edit: winz -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-eWeLKQFFqejO2N6kBs0JJE7TeeYz0CWmc51UJQSX8K_Yc0M&t=1&usg=__3jV8BFJc2W1Nr_nUQCV5FdGdcoM=

lolspids!

Edited by dwarf