NEurope
Retro_Link

The Amazing Spider-Man

Yeah I mainly object to the price hike involved in seeing a 3D film. Really annoys me that you have to pay so much extra. Other than that if 3D is done well I think it's excellent, it's just that it's very rarely done well :)

Well, you may still not be impressed by it, but I thought it was well-done. I'm interested to hear what you think tonight! :)

It was filmed in 3D and for once the 3D doesn't make everything really dark. It's one of the best films I've seen in 3D. So unless you have an issue with headaches etc (I know people get that) then you shouldn't be too disappointed.

I usually steer off 3D, but knowing this changes things! I've got a cineworld unlimited card for my local crappy cinema, so I think I'll try and catch this at some point this week on that!

I don't want people to be disappointed though! Haha, I'm nervous that I've bigger it up too much and people will blame me if they don't agree :hmm: Maybe wait to see what Rez, HoT etc say about it before you make your final decision. I think it's good though!

I don't want people to be disappointed though! Haha, I'm nervous that I've bigger it up too much and people will blame me if they don't agree :hmm: Maybe wait to see what Rez, HoT etc say about it before you make your final decision. I think it's good though!

Lol, I've already got the card, so it's only a few quid seeing it in 3D(surplus for 3D essentially). Would be nice to see if I can rope some friends along, but with it generally being a shit cinema in my shit town, most don't want to :(

so... mid/after credits.... anyone know?

EDIT ok so resorted to a google search but prefer to have peeps here give me 100% confirmation but spotted a few reviews that I just scrolled to the end of (didn't read in case of spoilers :heh:) that say to hang round... didn't say if it was mid or after credits but there should be something there.

here's one that was result 1 in my google

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0703/amazingspidermanreview.html

so... mid/after credits.... anyone know?

A quick skim of wiki, without spoiling it for myself, says yes.

I've already answered that! :p

There's at the very least a scene mid-credits, about 2-3 minutes after the main movie. Animated, spiderman-themed credits showing the main character names etc for a few minutes, then short extra scene. I didn't stay until after all the other credits sadly as I was melting in the heat of the cinema, but at the very least there is one after a couple of minutes into credits.

Just back from it, and yeah there's a very brief mid-credits scene.

I really liked it. LOTS needed more time to be expanded upon, people's reactions to events mainly, but it was already cramming quite a lot in, while taking it's time retelling the origin/tying the origin into a greater plot, so I appreciate it had to make sacrifices. It did stick out to me though, being naturally more of a cynic - no one really questioning superpowers and stuff...but mainly that Peter Parker never seemed to do much reflection on the fact that EVERYTHING IN THE FILM is his fault. It's all his fault. I find that an interesting choice to make...as in the original story it's not his fault the spider bit him or anything. But they only have a throwaway line here and there, mainly referring to the Lizard being his fault, and yeah, he goes on a vigilante mission to find the burglar, but there's no character moments RE: his uncle's death, nothing with Aunt May or anything. That was missing.

BUT

This felt like SPIDER-MAN. Far more than the Raimi films. They've gone all out in making him look/move/act like Spider-Man, not some depressive in a suit like in Raimi's. I loved Lizard a lot more I expected to, and tbh, the School-based battle felt so Marvel Comics (the library cameo included), I was in metaphorical tears. Such a perfect scene that truly captures the comics.

Lizard's descent into villainy wasn't overly convincing, but he was cool regardless.

I thought Stone was great as Gwen and a more appealing character than MJ was in the old films. Less soppy. Her and Garfield were both great, as were all the actors actually. I love Sally Field - I liked her 'knowing mother' moments - so mother-of-a-gay-child! <3

Ok, I'm a Marvel know-it-all, but I can't fathom

who the guy

in the mid-credits scene is...or at least it's

no one obvious, surely? Could be anyone.

Just back from it, and yeah there's a very brief mid-credits scene.

I really liked it. LOTS needed more time to be expanded upon, people's reactions to events mainly, but it was already cramming quite a lot in, while taking it's time retelling the origin/tying the origin into a greater plot, so I appreciate it had to make sacrifices. It did stick out to me though, being naturally more of a cynic - no one really questioning superpowers and stuff...but mainly that Peter Parker never seemed to do much reflection on the fact that EVERYTHING IN THE FILM is his fault. It's all his fault. I find that an interesting choice to make...as in the original story it's not his fault the spider bit him or anything. But they only have a throwaway line here and there, mainly referring to the Lizard being his fault, and yeah, he goes on a vigilante mission to find the burglar, but there's no character moments RE: his uncle's death, nothing with Aunt May or anything. That was missing.

BUT

This felt like SPIDER-MAN. Far more than the Raimi films. They've gone all out in making him look/move/act like Spider-Man, not some depressive in a suit like in Raimi's. I loved Lizard a lot more I expected to, and tbh, the School-based battle felt so Marvel Comics (the library cameo included), I was in metaphorical tears. Such a perfect scene that truly captures the comics.

Lizard's descent into villainy wasn't overly convincing, but he was cool regardless.

I thought Stone was great as Gwen and a more appealing character than MJ was in the old films. Less soppy. Her and Garfield were both great, as were all the actors actually. I love Sally Field - I liked her 'knowing mother' moments - so mother-of-a-gay-child! <3

Ok, I'm a Marvel know-it-all, but I can't fathom

who the guy

in the mid-credits scene is...or at least it's

no one obvious, surely? Could be anyone.

I read that actually Garflield spent HOURS reading the comics over and over, looking at images of Spiderman, working out how he moved, and practicing his poses when it came to landing, crouching, etc. He was a massive perfectionist about it, apparently, telling Webb that he needed to do another take just so that his landings and general stance were more in-tune with Spiderman's from the comics. He's a massive geek, which really helped. Made him a great Spidey, I think.

Also, in terms of his reactions to the situation I think you're right. There were also so many plot points that just weren't resolved, which was my only real problem with it. Including, but not limited to, Parker never found Ben's killer, the Asian gentleman who the lizard was hunting just disappeared after the bridge scene, and most notably, the whole thing about his parents. I guess a lot of these will be answered in the next film, but it was a little annoying to not get closure on them.

HAVING SAID THAT I still really loved it :) Did you see it in 3D Paj? If so, what did you think of it?

Oh I liked the 3-D a lot, it lent itself to 3-D very well. Interesting to see that. I had no complaints, it was so frenetic, and clearly designed for 3-D that yeah...thought it was great.

Loved it! Absolutely loved it! I went and seen it with 2 mates, one was like me in that he thought it was awesome, the other enjoyed it and thought it was alright.

Andrew Garfield is sooooooooooo much better than Toby Maguire, who I was never a fan of in the first place. He has a boyish charm that makes the character really likable. His relationship with Emma Stone, who was also fantastic, was great to watch, both pulling off the teenage crush very well.

I think this movie is getting very hard done by purely because Sam Raimi's Spiderman film is still fresh in peoples minds, even though it's been 10 years. Many reviews have criticised the film for retelling the origin story, but it had to be done as it was a reboot. If this was the film that came out 10 years ago then I think the reviews would have been much more favourable than they are now.

The 3D, while good at times, didn't blow me away. I just don't care for the whole 3D films thing though. Honestly, at times when I do see a film in 3D I forget i'm watching a 3D movie.

I'm wondering if the guy that visits Curt Connors is Mysterio. He just seemed to appear and disappear from nowhere.

Although it is probably gonna be the boring option and end up being Norman Osbourne.

Oh, and Stan Lee......freakin awesome! :D

Ok saw it last night, loved it :D

Garfield was a great Parker and better than I expected.

And I loved how he moved as Spiderman, seemed much more spider-like than Tobys Spiderman. Like how he went for the slam dunk with the basketball, that was awesome.

Loved the comedy and the little jokes Peter made while in the suit. Yeah Tobys Spiderman did this too but here it felt a bit better and more like Spiderman from the comics.... though I haven't seen 1 or 2 in a while som may give them a rewatch (3 never happened of course :heh:)

Was interesting how they changed the Uncle Ben death a bit. I was wondering how they would address that, thought sticking to the comics wrestling story would have felt a little too weird given it was only done "recently" and was quite pleased how they changed it yet still managed to have that small throwback to the wrestling in the comics and how he got the idea for his suit. I didn't like though how he didn't find the guy who did it though. Hope they don't bring that back in a future film ala "Spiderman 3" and Sandman :heh:. That accidental killing of the guy who killed Uncle Ben I always felt was another crucial part of Spidermans character and his burden. Was half expecting when he had teh first guy he thought was the one who killed Ben hanging off the building and checked for the tattoo and it wasn't there. Was expecting him to still accidently drop him :heh:

Was also disappointed they seemed to avoid using the line "With great power comes great responsibilty" thought they did try to echo it in a speech Uncle Ben gave it was a bit long winded and not as memorable or quotable as the original line. Granted again they may have just been trying to avoid been seen as "reusing" stuff from the first Remi film as non-comic fans may be unaware of it being from the comics but still I think again it is something form the comics that should not have been reworded/changed.

The Lizard I enjoyed, dispite the lack of a proper stout on film it seemed much better than in the pics. Though Connors sudden shift from "no we can't be so reckless" to "feck it I'm gonna test it on my self" seemed a bit too forced. I didn't mind how after he transformed his they went crazy though as that can be attributed to the transformation and the spliting of his mind. Liked that scene where he seemed to be having and inner conversation with himself between the small part of his normal self that was left and The Lizard part that was taking over.

The stuff about Peter parents though seemed to get lost after the Uncle Ben death scene though. Given how this was marketed as "The untold story finally told" or whatever it was on the posters and was meant to be about his parents going missing that ended up being nothing more than some way of connecting Peter to Dr. Connors and so that Peter could give him the equation that would make The Lizard "Peters fault". I expected more from this on his Parents as that is what we were told to expect. Though kinda glad his becoming Spiderman seemed more accidental than the trailers suggested. From the trailers I was worried that his father might have done some kind of experiment on young Peter and the Spider bite would only act as a trigger or something to "active" him. Glad it didn't happen like that.

How he "made" the webbing too irked me a little, in that he didn't come up with it himself...though I guess his father did and Oscorp perfected it... I mean was he just buy on mass boxes of the oscorp webbing and loading it into his shooters? Why did nobody make a connection from "hey we just saw this advert for Oscorp webbs and then this Spiderguy appears".... how come nobody at Oscorp made the connection? Or thought to try get a sample of Spidermans web and compare it to theirs.... why did nobody notice lots of the webbing being ordered and delivered to the same address? :heh:

Liked how Oscorp was involved though and Norman was mentioned but not really seen.... though would liked to have had a bit more info on him supposidly being near death... from what....why? Guess this will just be used as a reason for him making the Goblin gas and experimenting on himself in a future film if and when they decide to use the Green Goblin. No Harry though kept waiting for even his name to mentioned at the school, but nothing.

Oh and what happened to the Asian guy? He just vanished after Spiderman saved him. Expected to at least see him giving Norman some sort of report on the Lizard formula at some point. But no he just vanished :heh:

But overall I did enjoy it and do look forward to a part 2 and seeing more of Garfield as Parker/Spiderman :D

On the mid credits scene (didn't stay to the "very" end as from what I could tell yesterday there was only the one extra scene...anyone stay to the very end here?).....

Found that interesting. Obviously no much given away and more mystery added... who was that Connors was talking to.

I heard some people in the cinema talking as we left say maybe it was just Connors seeing things and it was the "Lizard" voice in his head and he was just talking to himself like earlier. Nice idea, but if it were that I don't see why the need for his face to be hidden (and played by a different actor)

At first I was thinking maybe it was Norman Osbourne but then when I realised that he seemingly appeared from and vanished into thin air would need a lot of explaining with how it could be Norman as Green Goblin has no teleportation or astral projection powers.

I like H-o-T's idea of Mysterio which could explain the "trickery" of his appearance and disapperance but if it is him, unless they totally changed his backstory I find it hard to see how a former actor turned psyco villain would be involved in what seems like a big conspiracy surrounding Peters parents.

After seeing and discounting Osbourne my next thought was then, Mephisto which could explain the hidden face and "magical" entry and exit... though I don't think Mephisto was ever a Spiderman villain and only appeared in the "One More Day/Brand New Day" story of Spiderman comics... plus would seem odd to be going for such a magical figure when they tried their best to "ground" this film in some sememblence of "reality".... would be good for Avengers 2 though if they could add Spiderman into, haha (still reaching at straws :heh:)

So if not Mephisto my 3rd thought was Morbius.... maybe he worked with Connors and Richard Parker in their cross species experiments and of course his experiments were with bats?

I think Morbius then could be a good candidate.... though don't know if that explains the entry and exit.... can Morbius "astral project"? Or talk to people telepathicly?

Is the hat he shown to be wearing a clue? I can't think of any Spiderman villians with such "abilities" that were apparently shown by this guy who would normally wear a hat

The 3D debate though, I normally don't have issue with 3D, I don't mind seeing films in 3D though I have previously enjoyed the 3D in films that were filmed in 3D more than the post production ones. And knowing this film was filmed in 3D I thought the 3D would really add something to it but for me it didn't. It actually felt like it was post production 3D to me. Films like Avatar and the last Resi Evil film (only ones I can remember off top of my head that were filmed in 3D and I saw in 3D) I loved the effect, the added depth and the pop out stuff which felt alot better than postproduction 3D films. But here there didn't feel like there was any added depth or any at all. I would take the glass off and put back on and not really notice and great different. There were a few good pop out moments, the best being his legs during that flip near the end. But overall I was very dissappointed in the 3D given that it was filmed in 3D. :(

EDIT:

Oh and one other thing... on something that happens near the end of the film....

When Spiderman gets shot after Captian Stacy captures him and lets him go. We see Spiderman leave a bloody handprint on a wall. The camera focused on that a bit too much I thought..... Jackel? Clones? Kaine? Ben Reilly anyone? :heh:

Really good to hear plenty of people enjoying it; gonna go see it sometime next week I think.

I've not seen this yet, but Garfield looks more "comfortable" in the Spiderman suit than Maguire ever did. From trailers, he seems less whiney, too.

Glad there's some favourable reviews on here. Tempted to go and see it now. After Batman, of course. :hehe:

When Spiderman gets shot after Captian Stacy captures him and lets him go. We see Spiderman leave a bloody handprint on a wall. The camera focused on that a bit too much I thought..... Jackel? Clones? Kaine? Ben Reilly anyone? :heh:

I thought it would be something to do with

Lizard being able to track him by the bloody hand-prints/blood trail he leaves, but obviously that never came into it. It was just to show that he was seriously bleeding rather than it just being a little flesh wound, I guess.

I thought it would be something to do with
Lizard being able to track him by the bloody hand-prints/blood trail he leaves, but obviously that never came into it. It was just to show that he was seriously bleeding rather than it just being a little flesh wound, I guess.

Yeah, that's all I took from that scene.

EDIT:

Oh and one other thing... on something that happens near the end of the film....

Yeah i thought that it was odd when they zoomed in on that. Same with the

gun when he disarmed that cop and the gun fell under the car. I thought it was strange that the made sure you knew WHERE the gun went, but it never came up again. Maybe just a director trademark or soemthing...

Overall, i didn't like it as much as the first film. Maybe because the first one is one of my favourite films ever, and possibly because i never really read the comics, so i wasn't so fussed about sticking to the comics. Thats why maybe i preferred the webbing coming out of Tobeys wrists rather than the web-slinging devices (which i thought were created and passed over far too quickly in the film; it was like "Oh how about i make this device" - science happens - "Now i can swing through the city").

The pacing of the film just felt off. I thought they'd tried to cram too much in and it felt rushed in parts (like when the Lizard just suddenly turned) while other bits did drag a bit.

I thought Garfield was really good, better perhaps than McGuire, and obviously anyone is better than the Dunst. He was definiantely more 'spidery' than in the first one, which was good.

Why the hell did the Lizard put (a different) lab coat on, just before he attacked the policemen with the green gas? Was he trying to disguise himself?! Ridiculous.

Also, the bit near the end where Spiderman got shot, and then suddenly couldn't websling down a straight street and needed some schmo to line up a load of cranes felt like an insult to spiderman. I get that they wanted spiderman to look vulnerable and the general populace to react kindly to the nice thing he'd done and help him out, but seriously it was just horrendously cheesy and was the spiderman equivalent of putting the sides up at bowling.Rubbish.

IN a nutshell then, it was good because it was Spiderman, and Garfield was good, but story and pacing bad.

IN a nutshell then, it was good because it was Spiderman, and Garfield was good, but story and pacing bad.

This ^^^^^

You're right, a teenage american boy would realistically have a much more expensive looking costume :P

He's a spider! He can weave whatever the hell he likes.

Overall, i didn't like it as much as the first film. Maybe because the first one is one of my favourite films ever

Crikey.

----------

I loved it. Thought the first half was very slow, but the Peter Parker bits were perfect. The movie really really really stepped up from the school bit, like Paj! says I think that scene captured the comics amazingly, the choreography was fucking perfect, absolutely nailed it.

I thought Lizard was a kind of weak villain to stand on his own, but they had so much to fit in, I didn't mind. Rhy Ifans was good. Andrew Garfield was basically absolutely perfect both as Peter and as Spidey, I absolutely adored his use of webs and that it lit up, loved him using the webs for vibrations, liked Lizard's design, Gwen was amazing, Uncle Ben being flashed out so much was fantastic, and borrowing elements from different mythologies as well as crafting its own mythology was awesome.

I don't know if it was my eyes or the seat I was in (dead central) or distance, or size of screen but I could barely tell it was 3D unfortunately - mates thought the 3D was great, and I have noticed, watched and enjoyed 3D at times before (Avatar, Transformers and even Titanic) but for some reason I could barely see it. Want to see it again in 3D on a bigger screen.

DBOX was fucking awesome. Fucking fucking cool as hell, I highly recommend anyone with the chance to see a film in DBOX to do so. At first it was cool/novelty, as it shifted with the opening credits, and you notice it the first few times, but as the film goes it just becomes more immersive and isn't distracting, it makes you really feel part of the action in the action scenes and makes them more exciting. So cool. God. Massive seats too and spacious.

-------------

Mid-Credits Scene

was obviously referring to one person, and that is Richard Parker. They seemed to borrow some stuff from the Ultimate Universe, and it makes sense that it is his dad gone crazy or whatever, and hopefully they can tie in the sublime Ultimate Venom.

Its definitely not "clear" though, certainly I think it COULD be Norman, but I think its 99% certainly Richard.

End-Credits Scene

LOL made you think you missed an extra scene. :p

-------------------

The Spectacular Spider-Man

If they don't do Electro and Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, I will cry my fucking eyes out.

I'm not going to write a paragraph, all I will say is I saw it in 3D. It was fucking ace and I shall be going to see it again. So much better than the other Spider-man films.

Watched this before in 2D. Better than I expected! Awesomeness.

Prefer Garfield, he did move a lot of spider like than the other films, there was one particular scene where

In the school where Spiderman was fighting Lizard, he was wrapping him in his webbing around him but doing it by crawling all around him

I thought that was ace!

I have a soft spot for Emma Stone and I gotta say, the first time we see her I was like 'Yeah, she is hot!'

Yeah it's the origin story again but I looked past and enjoyed it for it's own take on the story.

Yeah it's not perfect but I would recommend anyone seeing it who likes Spiderman.

Bit of a meh from me. Humour was spot on, loved the up to date sci-fi visuals etc, but it all felt a little bland and there was far too much cheese. It felt to me like for everything good it did, the next thing just had to ruin it.

I'm not the biggest fan of super hero movies so my opinion on it wont be worth much, but keeping a level head I think my issues are mainly attributed to the script. There were far too many moments where something was said that didn't need to be. Especially that last line in the movie, ughhhh.

Despite not being too big of a fan of it, I've got some hopes for the future as I can't shake off this feeling they're trying to pull something similar to the current Batman trilogy.

If they don't do Electro and Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, I will cry my fucking eyes out.

Two villains in the next one? I'd prefer they not go down that route, could end up going all "Spiderman 3" *shudder* I think Goblin/Norman could certainly stand alone as a sole villain but could be hard given he was in the first Spiderman film, not sure about Electro....would depend how they approach him in the film.

If they do Norman though I would love to see them follow the comics with what happens with him and Gwen. If they are planning this as a trilogy though I think that moment could be best saved for part 3?

Maybe in part 2 have a different villain but still have the shadow of Norman in the background watching and pulling the strings.

In the school where Spiderman was fighting Lizard, he was wrapping him in his webbing around him but doing it by crawling all around him

I thought that was ace!

Yeah that bit was amazing, I was doing a silent clap in the cinema at that part (nobody else gave any reaction so didn't want to be accused of disturbing the rest of the cinema by being the only one making noise :heh:)