NEurope
Retro_Link

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh I know as much as the rest of you. Im just going on what the trailer has shown us. It just seems like whatever the secret is will be more scientific than SHIELD related.

The only thing I can think of:

Is that in the Ultimate Universe Richard Parker created the Venom suit, originally to cure Cancer.

Oh thought it was a big comic book thing you'd thought of. Thanks anyway :p

Is this the Spiderman that has artificially created webs? The contraption that seemed to explode on him with web stuff surprised me, I thought they were still going down the route that he'd be able to shoot it naturally?

Oh thought it was a big comic book thing you'd thought of. Thanks anyway :p

Is this the Spiderman that has artificially created webs? The contraption that seemed to explode on him with web stuff surprised me, I thought they were still going down the route that he'd be able to shoot it naturally?

Oh, no, the mechanical web shooters were confirmed a long time ago - with the first official photo, if I recall correctly. Along with the new suit I think it was actually the first changes we heard about.

I don't really think it will be related to that either, just posting the image to show that it's not a new idea giving Parker's parents a secret history.

Picture of the Lizard's face...

the-amazing-spider-man-lizard-still-3_610x329.jpg

Well it's official, I will be watching this film and thinking of this...

d49f4ff745df938090ae21abba25ae44.jpg?v=130494

Yeah that's all I'm able to see everytime I see Lizard in the trailers.

Not a fan tbh.

Honestly The Lizard is probably the main reason this film doesn't appeal to me right now, which is a bit much considering he's the secondary character! One that no doubt Sony have been pushing for/working on for years... and yet Bowser is the best they can come up with!

True!

I think they've made a big mistake in their attempt at humanising The Lizard... same mistake they made (and you would have thought they'd have learnt from) with Venom.

Should have put their efforts into full on [comic book style] Lizard.

Actually, despite his important role in the Spiderman universe, maybe The Lizard was a bit of a stupid character to take on in the first place.

---

Also, it seems the artwork we all hoped/thought was fake, was actually real!

205775-lizard3.jpg

I feel as though they're keeping the main villain secret. The bit where he gets demasked in the trailer -- that doesn't seem like it would be the work of Lizard.

That's an optimistic idea, how well does anything stay under wraps in the movie industry these days? Still, it would be nice if it was true.

Maybe he'll be the real villain.

Now that would be shocking.

I feel as though they're keeping the main villain secret. The bit where he gets demasked in the trailer -- that doesn't seem like it would be the work of Lizard.

Its one of the cops or captain Stacy that does that in the trailer, no hidden bad guy, Goomba sorry the Lizard is the main bad guy/foe for Spider-man

Honestly The Lizard is probably the main reason this film doesn't appeal to me right now, which is a bit much considering he's the secondary character! One that no doubt Sony have been pushing for/working on for years... and yet Bowser is the best they can come up with!

They just can't stop borrowing ideas from Nintendo no matter what the medium :heh:

take in their attempt at humanising The Lizard... same mistake they made (and you would have thought they'd have learnt from) with Venom.

Maybe he'll have a snout but whenever he talks it turns into a human face/mouth

Aus Trailer

Don't like that the goal post bends.

Its one of the cops or captain Stacy that does that in the trailer, no hidden bad guy, Goomba sorry the Lizard is the main bad guy/foe for Spider-man

Looks like a white coat in the trailers?... so Connor or Gwen Stacy?

Don't like that the goal post bends.

Oh God. That bit was awful O_O it looked ridiculous.

If we cut all these trailers together I think we'd have the whole film by now.

Aus Trailer

Looks like a white coat in the trailers?... so Connor or Gwen Stacy?

I think it looks like one of the Police Captains's shirt sleeves so maybe Captain Stacey (he's at 0:50 the mask pull is at 1:43)

I don't know but the scene in one of the other trailers shows maskless spidey incapacitating cops to escape, so i'd say the police corner him and unmask him, probably while spidey doubts him self, then comes to his senses

If we cut all these trailers together I think we'd have the whole film by now.

Yes, my thoughts exactly! They don't seem to leave much out. Oh well. I think it looks good and I look forward to seeing it. I think Garfield actually seems like a good Peter Parker but then I had no problem with McGuire's version so I might just be too uncritical about it.

That's an optimistic idea, how well does anything stay under wraps in the movie industry these days? Still, it would be nice if it was true.

A fairly well known actor appeared at the end of Cabin in the Woods and that managed to stay under wraps for about three years.

Anyway yeah, silly goalpost.

Just read a review from IGN which wasn't very positive.... (They gave it 6/10)

This isn't right. As I sit down to review The Amazing Spider-Man, I find that I am not terribly moved by the film in any way. As a longtime comic-book fan and Spidey enthusiast, how can I be so blasé about his latest big-screen incarnation?

What Are the 25 Greatest Spider-Man Stories?

Perhaps the problem -- and there most definitely is a problem here -- lies in the fact that Sony and director Marc Webb's reboot of old Webhead feels so samey. The Amazing Spider-Man relies on many of the character and plot beats from Sam Raimi's original 2002 film, meshes them with a "real-world" Dark Knight vibe, and unevenly tries to balance these elements with Webb's (500) Days of Summer style of meet-cute.

It's now clear that the core concept of the film is fundamentally flawed: Redoing the origin story of Peter Parker is a mistake. The return of kindly Uncle Ben and his great responsibility spiel (the words of which are oddly never actually spoken), the bullying in high school, the acquiring/discovering/mastering of Peter's powers, the villain who in a bid for the greater good turns into a monster… you can recite this script in your spider-sleep, but it most certainly won't make your spider-sense tingle.

The good news is Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone really spark to one another in their scenes together, which are mainly of the Peter/Gwen variety rather than the Spidey/Gwen type. Stone is impossible not to adore, and while Garfield pours his heart into the hard-knock role of Peter -- and seriously, this version of the character really cannot catch a break -- his often mopey, teary-eyed riff on Queens' greatest geek doesn't always feel like the wise-cracking Peter Parker we know and love. (Even Spidey's wise-cracks themselves are off, either falling flat or oddly playing as more mean-spirited than fun.)

The Amazing Spider-Man is almost like a retconned version of Raimi's first film, where the first 30 minutes of origin have been stretched into a two-hour-plus picture, fleshing out details of little consequence, expanding on plot points that the audience has trouble caring about, and not bothering to answer lots of questions that are set up. I won't get into those questions here for fear of spoiling things, but suffice to say this film shares a certain sensibility with another of this summer's disappointments, Prometheus.

Rhys Ifans plays father figure to Peter and his soon to be enemy Dr. Curt Connors/the Lizard as alternately sympathetic and detestable; at times we're led to believe that he had a hand in the death of Peter's parents years earlier (played by Campbell Scott and Embeth Davidtz in a much-ado-about-nothing flashback that feels like something got left on the editing room floor) while at others it's almost as if he and Pete should be opening up their own science lab together. The fully formed Lizard, achieved through CGI, is a workmanlike if not terribly convincing effect, and Connors' late-game tendency to talk to himself feels terribly similar to Willem Dafoe's Norman Osborn/Green Goblin.

Speaking of father figures, Peter has no lack of them. In addition to his absent dad, Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben, and the malignant Connors, there's also Gwen Stacy's father George Stacy (Denis Leary), who happens to be the NYPD captain heading up the search for the vigilante Spider-Man. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Captain Stacy, actually, and the character feels like he has one of the more fully formed arcs in the film. Leary's turn as a dad protective of the teenage scoundrel sniffing around his daughter is a lot of fun, and it's telling that this is one of the elements of the plot that is not a redo from the Raimi era (and no, James Cromwell's bit part as Stacy in Spidey 3 doesn't count).

Webb has said that he wanted to keep Garfield in the Spider-Man suit as much as possible, in order to convey the feel of an actual kid in the tights as opposed to a stuntman. It's an interesting proposition but it doesn't always work here. Perhaps this is due to the nature of Spidey himself, whose antics by their very nature belie what a regular person could do. As a result, the Garfield Spider-Man on the ground doesn't match very well with the one in the sky, and the set pieces involving web-spinning never quite rise to the, ahem, heights of previous Spidey films. The POV shots are cool, but there's not a ton of them. And one of the big action moments near the film's finale -- involving a bunch of warm-hearted construction workers led by C. Thomas Howell -- evokes giggles rather than cheers.

That said, the film does feature some striking imagery, such as Spidey splayed out on a full web in the sewers, or the tiny figure of Peter standing atop a skyscraper, truly giving us the scope of what a man who climbs 80-story buildings would look like. And yet, the darker, grittier approach often feels off, as in an early sequence when Peter faces a gang of gotta-dance thugs who could almost be members of the Jets and the Sharks. Or possibly refugees from Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark. (The 3D is present mostly in the action scenes, and when it's there it's solid.)

The Amazing Spider-Man stands as a lesson for all reboots. Audiences don't need to go back to Origin Story 101 with these characters, no matter how much spit and polish filmmakers put on such a tale. And simply copying the success of other pictures -- let's go dark like Chris Nolan! -- isn't the key to super-success either. Undiscerning audiences might be mildly diverted by Webb's film, but alas it won't have the lasting impact of many of its superhero peers.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/27/the-amazing-spider-man-movie-review

Yeah I just read that as well. The Average Spider-Man.

Tbh their review seems inline with the impression I've got from the trailers.