NEurope
Jimbob

Space and the Universe

Just a note to say that Stargazing Live is on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on BBC2 this week.

Also, tonight on BBC1 is Patrick Moore's final The Sky At Night.

Just a note to say that Stargazing Live is on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on BBC2 this week.

Also, tonight on BBC1 is Patrick Moore's final The Sky At Night.

I'll be sure to watch that.

Also in the news, Astronaughts tweet snaps from space.

http://news.sky.com/story/1034222/astronaut-tweets-photos-from-space-stationhttp://news.sky.com/story/1034222/astronaut-tweets-photos-from-space-station

Very sad sky at night , poor sir Patrick looked really quite poorly in his 2 scenes :(

A great tribute to him at the end and the whole show was about getting into astronomy setting up telescopes ect , a fitting end to carry on stargazing . U don't know what's going to happen with the show , you can't replace sir Patrick , but I'm sure he would not have wanted it to end when he was gone .

I'm looking at buying my first telescope I have a budget of about £200 maybe a bit more , anyone here have one ?

He didn't look at all well, bless him. Hopefully his spirit is venturing to find life on another planet as we speak.

Here's hoping the BBC don't cancel the show, hopefully it continues onwards and provides newcomers with advice and what can be seen in the sky at night with their new telescopes. This show was a great way to show how to use different telescopes for newcomers, and a good tribute as well.

Needed to dig this thread up for some amazing videos - including a pair of biographical animations. One about astronaut Ronald McNair, the 2nd African-American in space and one of the victims of the tragic Challenger explosion.

And here's astronaut Jerry Carr, commander of Skylab 4 and one of the longest serving astronauts.

And finally here's a vision of the future for the Voyager space probes (both soon to hit true interstellar space.) It's an artistic and not a scientific vision, but I like the suggestion that perhaps one day our inter-stellar space probes could be the only evidence that humanity and even our entire solar system ever existed at all.

You'll wanna fullscreen and break out the headphones for this one.

Edited by gaggle64

And finally here's a vision of the future for the Voyager space probes (both soon to hit true interstellar space.) It's an artistic and not a scientific vision, but I like the suggestion that perhaps one day our inter-stellar space probes could be the only evidence that humanity and even our entire solar system ever existed at all.

You'll wanna fullscreen and break out the headphones for this one.

The first two videos were nice, but this was amazing. I love when grand music and visuals combine with great ideas like the vastness of time and space to create art.

Hundreds of people have been injured after a meteor burnt up in the atmosphere and its debris landed on a city, shattering windows and even making the roof of a factory collapse.

3089766744.jpg

1570711145.jpg

You can read more about it here.

And here are some videos of the event. It is quite scary to see and hear this happening I think, just imagine this on a grander scale!

You can hear the crashes/explosions in this one.

I believe that it was the explosion that caused the window shattering, not the debris landing.

Also, this has nothing to do with the passing asteroid.

I saw an extremely bright red object go across the sky last night , I was outside with my new telescope , it was not a plane helicopter or satellite , there was no trail I thought at first it's a Chinese lantern but this thing was incredibly fast and it was not windy . 3 other people with me saw it too it was naked eye visable . Then as it went out to sea it vanished ? Wtf is going on. Could it have been ball or orb lightning ?

Edited by yesteryeargames

Hundreds of people have been injured after a meteor burnt up in the atmosphere and its debris landed on a city, shattering windows and even making the roof of a factory collapse.

3089766744.jpg

1570711145.jpg

You can read more about it here.

And here are some videos of the event. It is quite scary to see and hear this happening I think, just imagine this on a grander scale!

You can hear the crashes/explosions in this one.

This is spectacular. While people are injured to the sonicboom and explosion destroying glass and it hitting, I'd have given anything to witness such a sight.

SO this asteroid passing between the Earth and Moon tomorrow..... roughly where should I look if I want to try see it?

Must ask the dad if I can borrow his binoculors.

When it actually passes "between Earth and Moon" are likely to see it with the naked eye when it does and ET passing across the moon?

SO this asteroid passing between the Earth and Moon tomorrow..... roughly where should I look if I want to try see it?

Must ask the dad if I can borrow his binoculors.

When it actually passes "between Earth and Moon" are likely to see it with the naked eye when it does and ET passing across the moon?

Apparently you should be able to see it somewhere around The Plough at around 9.00pm tonight... though they said maybe use a telescope/binoculars.

I'm sure when I first heard about this asteroid a few weeks back they said we would be able to see it during the day/almost like a second sun! :hmm: (unless I'm getting that confused with something else happening this year)

Apparently you should be able to see it somewhere around The Plough at around 9.00pm tonight... though they said maybe use a telescope/binoculars.

I'm sure when I first heard about this asteroid a few weeks back they said we would be able to see it during the day/almost like a second sun! :hmm: (unless I'm getting that confused with something else happening this year)

There's a comet around November time that's supposedly brighter than the moon. You're not thinking of that are you?

Nabbed this from a facebook page:

543830_543337135687302_1488871886_n.jpg

There's a comet around November time that's supposedly brighter than the moon. You're not thinking of that are you?
Ah ok cheers, it must have been that then! :D

Thanks for that events list!

High-def time-lapse orbital footage of Earth from the ISS set to a lilting ambient theme?

Why yes. Yes I think I will.

I honestly thought that was going to have a punchline, like "...but most people will be watching Eastenders."

Slight bump, it's also in the "Awesome" thread. Space Oddity, from space itself!!!

For those Twitter users, if you were following Commander Hadfield, then please follow https://twitter.com/AstroKarenN. She's currently on the ISS and is broadcasting images back to Earth in the same way Commander Hadfield did earlier this year.