NEurope
Nintendohnut

Updated iMacs, New Magic Trackpad and Battery Charger from Apple

Apple have released some updated iMacs, as well a some other interesting items today.

The lower end iMacs are now Intel i3 rather than Core2Duo, and the higher end model has the option to include a solid state hard drive to increase the speed.

Apple also announced a 'Magic Trackpad', a multi-touch mouse pad for your desktop computer. It has similar dimensions to the apple wireless keyboard so fits nicely alongside... but sadly it costs a pretty whopping £59, which is somehow even more expensive than the magic mouse.

hero_1_20100727.pngcompanion_20100727.jpg

Still, Apple have also hoped to decrease your battery cost in the long-run by releasing their new battery charger. Apparently it's very environmentally friendly as it uses a lot less power than normal chargers once the batteries are fully charged. It also comes with 6 batteries, which isn't too bad. Still, with a price tag of £25 the least you'd expect is a few batteries thrown in.

hero_20100727.pngrechargeable_20100727.png

Anyway, what do people think? I'd love the trackpad, but could never justify spending so much on such an unnecessary (but lovely) thing.

I want all of them. Seriously. They're just that sexy.

I can't believe the cheapest iMac is now £999. That's up from £749 a year or two ago. Even the mini has had a reasonable price bump. I realise the £ and fell against the $. I'd love another mac, I just can't justify their price.

So does the track pad detect if you're tapping with your index finger (for left click) or middle finger (for right click)? Or do you tap with two fingers for right click? And how does it know if you want to move the cursor or scroll?

The charger seems reasonably priced.

I'm on the fence, I have a MacBook atm, but was thinking about getting a iMac to replace my home Windows 7 PC.

So does the track pad detect if you're tapping with your index finger (for left click) or middle finger (for right click)? Or do you tap with two fingers for right click? And how does it know if you want to move the cursor or scroll?

The charger seems reasonably priced.

Two fingers for right click or you press the bottom right hand corner. Scrolling is 2 finger swipe up or down. Same as the MacBooks.

Well if it's anything like the macbook trackpad it's fully customisable. I think a double finger click/tap is usually considered as the right click function though. In terms of scrolling that's also customisable, but the standard I think is 1 finger = mouse moving, two fingers (up, down, side to side) = scrolling within windows, 3 finger swipes = change space n shit.

It also comes with 6 batteries, which isn't too bad. Still, with a price tag of £25 the least you'd expect is a few batteries thrown in.

:hmm:

I would be very tempted to get a Mac of some sort as I've been using them at work recently and do enjoy using them but the cheapest iMac is £999 which I feel is far too expensive for the entry level model.

I was thinking about buying an iMac, as my MacBook Pro's video card keeps overheating. It was either that, or keep using my MacBook Pro as my primary computer and build a gaming PC for games. I'm leaning towards the gaming PC at the moment, and this update has done nothing to change my mind.

As for the Magic Trackpad, I've always considered trackpads as something you use with a laptop because you don't want to carry a mouse, and so you don't have much choice. I really see no reason to use one with a desktop.

As for the battery charger, its 3 times the price of a normal charger that works just as well.

I'll definitely be getting the trackpad, wanted one ever since the leaked shots a few months ago. They're so much better than a mouse imo. Hopefully someone will hack some software so it runs on a pc, then I'll buy one for my work computer too.

iMac I'm not so fussed about, i think my next machine will be a mini.

The charger is interesting, if it's genuinely better than competitors I'll probably pick one up.

I guess no one can really comment on the Track thing until they've used it...

Saying that...

I really don't see how that can be useful at all on a desktop.

I mean, I hate track pads on laptops, and people I know usually buy small wireless mice for when they're using their laptops for a long period of time.

So why are they now better?

I'm confused.

Apple trackpads are way way better than anything else though. I honestly find them preferable to a mouse. I don't really see how they wouldn't be useful.

I'm guess I'm just going to have to go into an Apple store...

I simply don't see how a trackpad is going to be more useful over a mouse on a desktop PC.

And I'm talking regular iMacs as well, I'm not even thinking about people who have multiple monitors, etc.

Also, I've never enjoyed Apple pointing devices as a whole; had a terrible time with the Mighty Mouse.

The magic mouse touchy thing was a bit better though.

Shit for doing 3D stuff though eh? (or at least Maya)

So the track pad is just a Wacom Touch in silver, sans pen?

Apple trackpads are way way better than anything else though. I honestly find them preferable to a mouse. I don't really see how they wouldn't be useful.

Totally agree there, Apples trackpads are miles ahead of anything I've ever used. Their mice are a different story though. Never been a fan of those.

They've updated the trackpads for the Macbooks now so it has the same scrolling as iPhones do.

These prices are a bit too high though. Mac prices have crept up over the last couple of years. I assume this is all to do with the value of the pound. The Macbook is now £150 more than it was 3-4 years ago.

Using my Magic Trackpad now, pretty impressed. Got it for £52 with Chucks student discount.

Makes a nice change from a mouse on a desktop.

I really like Trackpad's too. I used to swear by mice but I find the trackpad on my laptop so accurate. Obviously they aren't good for gaming but it's a lot quicker to use than moving your hand over to a mouse. Apple Trackpad's are great too with the multitouch gestures etc you can do on them.

Doesn't anybody find their fingers hurt after using trackpads for a while? Well maybe not hurt as such but...it becomes a dull pain.

I was talking to my mate about the trackpads today and, as Ashley said, we didn't see how they were friendly for any design stuff.

I guess it's alright for... browsing the web.