NEurope
Dante

Sucker Punch

I thought that the bus driver was the commander in Baby Doll's dancing fantasies

Anyway, I loved it. I really enjoyed it. Of course I knew that it was always going to be style over anything else and that's exactly what I got. I didn't expect any more or any less. It's brilliant and imaginative and is nothing more than mindless entertainment and a good way to waste a couple of hours. If you're expecting a great story or great character development and other things like that then you will be disappointed.

It's all fun.

I thought that the bus driver was the commander in Baby Doll's dancing fantasies

Yeah he was... made no sense really. Hardly the biggest issue in the film though. Definitely substituted effects for plot but I still enjoyed it.

I honestly don't think the plot was that bad.

One change

I would have preferred it if you didn't see her face again. Because it was pretty disturbing up until that point.

I honestly don't think the plot was that bad.

One change

I would have preferred it if you didn't see her face again. Because it was pretty disturbing up until that point.

I thought that too! I was disappointed we did but I can't believe this movie has such low scores! I mean, from the trailer you knew it was always going to be style over everything so I'd love to know what they were expecting. I could have very easily watched it again, the effects and the fight scenes were just awesome.

My favourite scenes was the first Baby Doll fight and the "Knife" fight fantasy, that just rocked so much! I can't wait to get this on DVD so I can rewind that bit over and over again, lol.

Yeah he was... made no sense really. Hardly the biggest issue in the film though. Definitely substituted effects for plot but I still enjoyed it.

Maybe the ending wasn't real, and was just another bit in her head to represent her escape, albeit via lobotomy.

I thought the film was set completely in her head. Kind of like Identity, the five girls were all just split personalities.

Hence why there were sisters, Blondie who betrays them, Amber who (fuck knows...was tough?) and Baby Doll represented her self while her mother was a life, someone she couldn't be any more.

I thought that too! I was disappointed we did but I can't believe this movie has such low scores! I mean, from the trailer you knew it was always going to be style over everything so I'd love to know what they were expecting. I could have very easily watched it again, the effects and the fight scenes were just awesome.

My favourite scenes was the first Baby Doll fight and the "Knife" fight fantasy, that just rocked so much! I can't wait to get this on DVD so I can rewind that bit over and over again, lol.

I don't buy this style over substance drivel. Something like Sofia Coppola's Somewhere (I only bring up because I watched yesterday) has about as much (actually, probably less) substance but as a director her style shines. But, critics for the most part love it.

The film is aesthetically sensational. It's story is comparable to a dark fairy tale. I suspect it could have done without the cuts. And I can't remember a film that hated men quite so much.

I definitely think a big part of whether you like this film has to do with age (or at least attitude). This always seems to be the case with Snyder's films. He gets really quite vicious attacks from critics who, at the end of the day, simply can't understand here he is coming from. They lack the cultural code to be able to enjoy it.

Yeah, the film isn't perfect by any means but who the Hell cares? This argument about 'substance' infuriates me.

Edited by Daft

I thought the film was set completely in her head. Kind of like Identity, the five girls were all just split personalities.
Hence why there were sisters, Blondie who betrays them, Amber who (fuck knows...was tough?) and Baby Doll represented her self while her mother was a life, someone she couldn't be any more.

I don't buy this style over substance drivel. Something like Sofia Coppola's Somewhere (I only bring up because I watched yesterday) has about as much (actually, probably less) substance but as a director her style shines. But, critics for the most part love it.

The film is aesthetically sensational. It's story is comparable to a dark fairy tale. I suspect it could have done without the cuts. And I can't remember a film that hated men quite so much.

I definitely think a big part of whether you like this film has to do with age (or at least attitude). This always seems to be the case with Snyder's films. He gets really quite vicious attacks from critics who, at the end of the day, simply can't understand here he is coming from. They lack the cultural code to be able to enjoy it.

Yeah, the film isn't perfect by any means but who the Hell cares? This argument about 'substance' infuriates me.

I liked the story because, as you said, it was like some kind of dark fairytale but it wasn't great. The characters were a bit meh, I really wanted to know much more about Amber and Blondie but the movie seemed to be just about Baby Doll, Rocket and Sweet Pea (which I don't mind since I liked them but still, would have been awesome to have known more about the other two as well).

I didn't like how the men were depicted in one way but this would be Baby Doll's imagination so that would be how she saw men because of her experiences with her stepfather and hearing the crooked doctor.

I get that it's not perfect and everything and I get that it doesn't really have the best story in the world but I still thought it was awesome and definitely met my expectations.

I thought it was quite cheap how they killed them off. The two that got shot barely did anything anyway but it was a bit of an anti-climax. The one that was shot first had the least to do with stealing the knife from what I saw and then Blondie gets shot because 'oh we don't like snitches either' - which was a complete contradiction of character I thought. Just seemed like they didn't know what else to do with the characters but knew they couldn't be around to escape.

Also I thought it completely detracted from Rocket's death and made it less.... poignant? lol

I thought it was quite cheap how they killed them off. The two that got shot barely did anything anyway but it was a bit of an anti-climax. The one that was shot first had the least to do with stealing the knife from what I saw and then Blondie gets shot because 'oh we don't like snitches either' - which was a complete contradiction of character I thought. Just seemed like they didn't know what else to do with the characters but knew they couldn't be around to escape.

Also I thought it completely detracted from Rocket's death and made it less.... poignant? lol

I agree with this, except for Rocket's death, and I thought it was pretty cheap killing them off in the same minute and so quickly but I suppose that is how Blue was. He just didn't really give a shit at all so it kind of did work but it was a little meh the way it happened. I'd have prefered Amber and Blondie to have done more in the film and be involved a lot more. To me, it just seemed that Baby Doll, Sweet Pea and Rocket stole the show and the other two just stood there and looked pretty and did nothing.

I was genuinely sad when Rocket died and Baby Doll got lobotomised because we felt for their characters. Very unfortunately, I didn't really care about the other two even though I really wanted to. We hardly knew anything at all about them. I really wanted to know more! :(

Yeah, agree with the Blondie/Amber thing. If it's not addressed in the Director's Cut then that's a massive issue. I guess by that point I pretty much considered it just Sweet Pea, Rocket and Baby Doll's story.

My friends and I opted to see Source Code instead of this last night due to the two having basically the two extremes, reviews wise. We knew Sucker Punch would be style>substance but were scared it would be truly awful.

I suppose views on here kinda make me want to see it a bit more, but then I don't fully trust Daft/Dazz. (Daft loved Tron ;) )

Yeah, but I know Tron isn't a 'good' film. I've never said otherwise. I just don't see why people feel a need to react so much to the negatives while looking past all the positives. It's not like we get a film like Sucker Punch (or Tron for that matter) often.

Edited by Daft
Typos

For me the negatives covered almost everything except maybe how passingly pretty the visuals were. Nothing to write home about visually though. Possibly technically, but no one cares about that.

I know you can't be talking about Tron. The set design is stunning and the soundtrack is sublime. I also like the simplified concepts, so in Tron things like action through inaction, utopia and identity.

They didn't explore the bits I would've been interested in enough. The city, the people, how they exist in this neon/blue world. I didn't give a shit about bikes smashing into eachother/hovercraft smashing into each other. Or the terrible cgi Jeff Bridges.

I suspect the reason they didn't explore it is because it doesn't really make any sense.

I suppose views on here kinda make me want to see it a bit more, but then I don't fully trust Daft/Dazz. (Daft loved Tron ;) )

Ouch! Why don't you trust me? lmao.

Seriously Paj!, this is a fun movie. If you walk in the cinemas and don't think about everything and let yourself go, you'll have a lot of fun watching it. You already know it's all about the style anyway. Besides, you liked DOA and that's more style over anything really.

Yeah but DOA is camptastic whilst also not taking itself seriously. I worry this might take itself seriously. :(

Yeah but DOA is camptastic whilst also not taking itself seriously. I worry this might take itself seriously. :(

It doesn't and even if it does, you can still have fun watching it for its style and you yourself don't have to take it seriously either. I found myself looking forward to the next dance fantasy Baby Doll has all of the while. If you're going to walk in expecting a masterpiece then you will be disappointed. It's just mindless, harmless, imaginative fun. It's not overly brilliant but it is good considering it's just stylish fun.

I think that may be why you didn't like Tron either. I walked in knowing it was always going to be style over everything else and I was right and I had fun watching it.

If you don't take it seriously and just walk in and watch it, you'll have fun.

Bottom line is it's enjoyable if you let it be.

Which is why I think people who don't enjoy it are weird/bitter/cynical./sweeping generalisation

I didn't expect a masterpiece from Tron, I expected a competent story. It was crap. Or rather...it's flaws were so glaring they overtook the entire film.

I'll probably end up seeing this. Maybe on the cheaper cinema days.

Bottom line is it's enjoyable if you let it be.

Which is why I think people who don't enjoy it are weird/bitter/cynical./sweeping generalisation

Basically this. Just walk into the movie without thinking or expecting anything and enjoy it. Most likely you'll have fun.

What the fuck. How were all three of you not fucking blown away.

Yes it was shit, but...oh my god, it was so fucking amazing. I want to have sex with everything I saw in that movie. Including Jon Hamm and the dragons. Ahhhh.

It was just so fucking cool. God damn my boner was so fucking big during the action scenes. Fuck. Amazing. I've been raped. I need to change my desktop background now and spend the next decade masturbating over the main chick.

Basically this. Just walk into the movie without thinking or expecting anything and enjoy it. Most likely you'll have fun.

THIS. Quoted for fucking truth. It's amazing how many movies you can enjoy if you just let yourself. I often get ridiculed for loving films that are generally considered bad, but I honestly believe I'm the one getting the better end of that deal since I'm enjoying myself while others are not.

What the fuck. How were all three of you not fucking blown away.

Yes it was shit, but...oh my god, it was so fucking amazing. I want to have sex with everything I saw in that movie. Including Jon Hamm and the dragons. Ahhhh.

It was just so fucking cool. God damn my boner was so fucking big during the action scenes. Fuck. Amazing. I've been raped. I need to change my desktop background now and spend the next decade masturbating over the main chick.

I loved it myself, I've seen it twice. I'm seeing it again next week along with Scre4m (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!)

THIS. Quoted for fucking truth. It's amazing how many movies you can enjoy if you just let yourself. I often get ridiculed for loving films that are generally considered bad, but I honestly believe I'm the one getting the better end of that deal since I'm enjoying myself while others are not.

I agree but let's face it, some stuff out there really is just so shit you can't enjoy it. Sucker Punch is what goes on in my mind! It gets me! :D lol.

Also, the soundtrack is just too awesome for words!

Edited by Animal