NEurope
Retro_Link

The Avengers

Wow really? :p We went to the first showing in Sheffield's IMAX. It was honestly the busiest I've ever seen it. By the time we showed up we probably grabbed the only remaining 2-adjacent seats in the centre seat block. And everybody was laughing! Especially at that Hulk/Loki scene and the "adopted" joke.

I saw it on Saturday and it was busy then. People were laughing and most people got the jokes I think. Even Coulsen's gun related joke.

OK so I finally saw the film yesterday!

Visually it looked in-credible (though maybe the 'hoverbike' scene could have been better).

The humour was amazing.

And the action was plain awesome!

I've been reading through the thread now, and everyones already covered all the great scenes/one liners etc... so I won't really repeat them too much, but I agree with them all, just utterly fantastic!!

Honestly Hulk/Loki was incredible though!

It's just the way Loki suddenly dissapears from the screen, :D and then just when you think the smashing might stop, it just keeps going!

'He was adopted' was the other stand-out... just so quick!

So the characters...

I can't see the criticism either.

I thought he was one of the best handled characters. They perfectly portrayed the fact that he's basically underpowered compared to everyone else, but perfectly brought through all his strengths as a leader. I loved the fact he had to parachute out the plane when everyone else could just jump out, and he had to resort to guns to cover for Tony on the ship etc...

And he had some damn cool moments in the final fight, reflecting the laser, tucking up behind his shield etc...

Honestly I don't think I could fault Captain America in the film.

The characters were just perfect! :D

And Caps "HULK............. Smash!" was just too awesome, watching him leap around the city!

Have to say I was also confused by the two different HULK scenes though and how he was/wasn't in control.

I wasn't sure if maybe Loki did have some sort of hold over him on the helicarrier... hense why Banner seemed to completely subconciously(?), find himself holding Loki's staff at one point during his outburst. Almost in the same way Loki seemed to be manipulating Selvig from afar in the Thor post-credits scene.

And HULK was broken out of this in pretty much the same way Hawkeye was... by his fall to Earth from the jet knocking him unconcious?

But I also like the idea that he's in control of the HULK now, and thus can bring it on himself; but on the carrier, he didn't mean to Hulk-out (it was enduced through pain), and thus he wasn't in control that time?

I love Thor.

But for this reason I was somewhat dissapointed because I felt he was massively underutilised

And for that I wish the film had been longer because I think his character needed more.

Throughout the film, especially on the carrier I felt he could have done with some more time with Loki...

And during the final battle I felt he didn't get enough attention, and what he did get didn't do him justice; and given the vastness of the opposition I felt they actually could have shown him at his best, rather that worrying he might look too powerful.

If you look at the way he handled that fight on the Jotunheim then they could have done something similar here. Plus I mean he barely flew at all.

But anyway, his fight against HULK especially was brilliant, especially the hammer and HULK getting stuck under it/not able to pick it up.

And the HULK/Thor team up during the final battle was also great.

*PUNCH*

Iron Man was great.

I actually enjoyed seeing the more technical/helpful side to him and his suit in this film, as opposed to straight out fighting... which he also got.

Seeing him working underwater was such an incredibly cool introduction! :D

And then his work with Cap kick starting the propellor into action.

I thought there might be more mention of Cap/Howard Stark in relation to Tony and a strong bond develop between them, but the relationship in this film went with Tony/Banner.

Fantastic.

Thought Scarlett was absolutely amazing in this, such a great job and sexy as hell.

Great acting and character development in the time Black Widow had on screen.

Hawkeye. Yeah fine/pretty cool.

I did expect to see him with some form of headgear with built high-tech vision... lending to his costume, but it made total sense to keep him more SHIELD in this one and maybe give him more of an outfit in a sequel as his character will want this/have advanced.

---

Think my only complaint, would be to do with the final battle, in that somehow it felt a bit too confined/had a bit of a wierd feeling to it; maybe as in despite the fact it was in this big city, it felt like the battle was very much coming to them/just a few streets/they were vastly outnumbered but it didn't seem to matter...

Like when Hawkeye was perched on his ledge firing off arrows... there was too much going on around him for him to actually stand any chance (seeing as he doesn't really have any powers), and yet he did! *Maybe it was just these scenes that were to blame*

They could have used Thor more here perhaps, flying around the skies taking them out.

---

I liked how the film felt almost like a SHIELD film in the intro, I think it somewhat needed that.

Nick Fury, not really fussed.

But I liked what we got to see of Maria Hill!

Loki was really great. Some pretty dark scenes... the eye machine/with Scarlett.

Might have been nice to see a bit more action from him during the final fight... he seemed to bit of a spectator during that. Though he's a bastard to Thor.

Question: The Tesseract... so fundamentally it's just a gateway/portal device is it... but also has an extreme amount of energy that can be harnessed?

What did Thor use to control it at the end to make sure he knew where he was being sent?

Anyway, film was Great!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I hope you understand why I was trying to warn you away from discussions about Coulson - I didn't think it would take long before a news source would have mentioned what happened here.

Yeah basically I went into it having guessed what would happen there, so that was a bit annoying/would have preferred not to have known, but it was ok... I certainly didn't know it would happen how and when exactly it did, so it was still somewhat of a surprise.

I saw it again. It held up way worse second time round. The most glaring thing is that I don't understand why it was expected of us to feel empathy for the dead. Why did Iron Man even give a shit? Why would it actually move him enough to join the team, when like half an hour ago he'd been largely against it?

I saw it again. It held up way worse second time round. The most glaring thing is that I don't understand why it was expected of us to feel empathy for the dead. Why did Iron Man even give a shit? Why would it actually move him enough to join the team, when like half an hour ago he'd been largely against it?
Edited by Retro_Link

Because he was normal guy with no special powers but stood up to the Loki on his own anyway when he could have just hid in a corner and waited for one of the "speical" people to come help and cause he knew it was the right thing to do. While the others just bickered amongst themselves... had they pulled together sooner maybe it wouldn't have had to happen?

Plus in Tony and Thor's case he was a friend which I thought was obvious as to why Tony would give a shit.

I also don't think Tony was against being part of the team, more that he just Tony being Tony was a bit arrogant in thinking he could do it all by himself or that he was the "best" guy on the team. What happened to Phil and then the realisation that Loki was trying to drive them apart (duh Tony :heh:) gave him the kick he needed to cop on and see the bigger picture rather than the self portrait.

Also if you were dissapointed in the film the first time round... why go see it again?

Also if you were dissapointed in the film the first time round... why go see it again?

I wanted to see it again to decide if I was just being silly. And I'm not disappointed per se, I just think it could have been better. I think it's a fine film.

Edited by chairdriver

I feel like I need to watch all the Super-Hero movies relating to this before re-watching. I was ridiculously unaware of the hype behind this film and the fact it had all those films leading up to this.

I enjoyed it. I think a large chunk of the film completely went over my head though -- I've such a lack of any knowledge on every one of the films main characters (didn't even know 3 of their names until I saw it). Visually it was amazing / it distracted me a lot from the dialogue :p

The humour felt way too slapstick & stupid. I wish it had been done well but felt tacked on & a little cheap.

I sound really critical but I enjoyed the film as a whole. I loved Black Widow and Thor!

Actually i'm not sure that broken link is enough...

EDIT: Ah i see who it is.

This is so awesome. I want to sit on Loki's shoulders too...

Story of a Five Year Old Avenger, Meeting The Avengers

http://www.g33kwatch.com/movies/story-of-a-five-year-old-avenger-meeting-the-avengers/

edison-loki-proshot.jpg

Why do kids get all the attention? If I met Thor I'd like to go on his shoulders but do you think he'd let me :heh:

If it hasn't been posted

2aZRn.jpg

That is an awesome spot.... I always just read the sign on the other building and never spotted the other one. Now it makes more sense and less of a random Tony moment at the end. :D:bowdown:

Why do kids get all the attention? If I met Thor I'd like to go on his shoulders but do you think he'd let me :heh:

I dunno, maybe if you did a running jump and landed there he might leave you for a few seconds...then you should run, because I'm sure his punches hurt :p

Plus they're not in the same universe.

Indeed. I was just showing John Goodman that there was a bigger threat to the Marvel Universe/s than two Chris Evans'

Chris Evans makes a better Capatain America than he does Human Torch, I think.

I think so too! I thought he was an annoying git as the Human Torch, but then I hate the character and I also did not like the movie, so. He's so different as Captain America, more stoic but still cool.

He isn't playing the same personality as the human torch though.

As the human torch he is supposed to be annoying and cocky as opposed to the humble and simple Captain America.

FINALLY got around to seeing it today and have been catching up on everything in this thread since. :heh:

Obviously I found it awesome, amazing, orgasmic, etc.

1) The difference between the two instances of Banner Hulking out: The first time he was pushed as a result of the strife created by Loki with Banner being somewhat antagonised, resulting in the classic rage Hulk. The second time he revealed that he had learnt to control the transformation, meaning he was directing his anger and using it constructively.

2) Coulson's death was important because he was the regular, idealistic, grounded man that they (and the audience) had developed a somewhat personal bond with. Throughout the first five films he'd been the main link between them, the symbol of S.H.I.E.L.D., and his death serves to finalise this link, to finally unite them.

Obviously I found it awesome, amazing, orgasmic, etc.

You forgot 'retarded'.