NEurope
Retro_Link

The Avengers

I'm still puzzled that you think people chose to watch a superhero movie for anything other than the superheroes and action.

Because to think that a superhero movie is confined to the sort of film delivered to us with Avengers is to underestimate the potential the genre holds.

There's no reason why a superhero film well written and directed shouldn't be as good/relevant as films like Alien, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner etc etc.

Whatever the undertones in the X-Men films those same things would have been present in the comics and it would be kinda hard to not touch on such things in a movie adaptation.

But the X-Men is it's own franchise in the comics, The Avengers is like extra stories of different characters brought together to just kick some ass. And that what the film is too. I don't think there were that many people expecting any deep meaning behind the characters, hell there wasn't much in the ways of character development for anyone (except maybe Black Widow) but there didn't need to be as they were all established in their own films anyway. The draw of this film was to see if this whole "experiment" as it were to merge different films into one would work. All I wanted to see was the Avengers to kick some ass and be awesome. And to 99% of people that's all it needed to be and it exceeded I'd say most peoples expectations in the process.

Anyway I think Shorty's point in his last post anyway was that he thought it odd to consider the X-Men films just having LGBT undertones when it clearly dealt with more and for most people it would have been the racial undertones that showed more.

You just seem to be focusing too much on what you wanted from the film instead of what it was. Im perfectly happy with the way the film turned out, the Avengers is an adventure comic and thats what this movie showed.

Whatever the undertones in the X-Men films those same things would have been present in the comics and it would be kinda hard to not touch on such things in a movie adaptation.

Yes, this is true.

But the X-Men is it's own franchise in the comics, The Avengers is like extra stories of different characters brought together to just kick some ass. And that what the film is too. I don't think there were that many people expecting any deep meaning behind the characters, hell there wasn't much in the ways of character development for anyone (except maybe Black Widow) but there didn't need to be as they were all established in their own films anyway. The draw of this film was to see if this whole "experiment" as it were to merge different films into one would work. All I wanted to see was the Avengers to kick some ass and be awesome. And to 99% of people that's all it needed to be and it exceeded I'd say most peoples expectations in the process.

I wanted that, and a compelling plot and an engaging script with intellectual depth. Basically I'm just contesting the thing where everyone's like "Joss Whedon is the best writer" when he's not. [He reminds me of David Guetta. I'm stunned by Titanium and I love the feeling of Who's That Chick on my puss, but ultimately, his work is kinda vapid.]

Anyway I think Shorty's point in his last post anyway was that he thought it odd to consider the X-Men films just having LGBT undertones when it clearly dealt with more and for most people it would have been the racial undertones that showed more.

Only because most people aren't "familiar" with LGBT plight (in the sense that it wouldn't spring to their mind because it doesn't apply to them). The race allegory doesn't stand up as well as the LGBT allegory does. The MLK vs Malcolm X / Prof x vs Magneto thing fits really well, but there's lots of places where the allegory doesn't apply: Bobby Drake is scared to tell his parents he's black? Bigoted scientists are looking for a cure for people being Chinese? Angel is self-harming because he's realised he's not white?

[You can even see Professor X and Magneto in Hamishmash and I, respectively, when it comes to our views on LGBT politics. He's liberal where I'm like ultra-queer "sterilise everyone and have children born in birthing chambers" :p.]

Black Widow never spoke to Nick Fury's bitch in the entire film?

No, but there was a deleted scene where they lezzed up.

There was no dialogue in that scene either.

Not particularly bothered about that, though.

And besides, don't women have some kind of unspoken psychic nod? They seem to instinctively know why another lady is unhappy, what kind of childhood they had,nowhere they fit in the social hierarchy, when shoes are on sale etc.

Don't stop The Avengers being distinctly lacking in parts.

I don't think anyone's beat David Goyer's Batman Begins in terms of super hero shizzle.

Has anyone seen the 2nd after credits scene that the US got floating on the web anywhere? I been searching youtube but can only find the one scene that we got here.

I know there's nothing major in it, but would still like to see it rather than the still photo posted here a page back.

Ha, Captain America's glutes. Yeah I didn't see any oversexualisation in that movie, and Black Widow kicked a lot of ass.

I'd like to know though, since I amn't too well up on Hulk and it's probably a stupid question, but how come sometimes he goes mental and sometimes he is well behaved? Is it that if he chooses to transform he can control it but if he has a fit of rage he can't?

I'd also like to know that about The Hulk ::shrug:

Re: The Hulk.

He's not so much mindless as you might think. He's angry and full of rage but at what? In the helicarrier sequence he

fights S.H.I.E.L.D and Thor but that's really because Banner is angry at being held more or less hostage and being press ganged. Later, he directs that rage against the invading aliens and Loki, who humiliated him earlier.

I'd have liked to see him fleshed out with a bit of dialogue though. He actually has a pretty fun character when he's not smashing.

tumblr_m3sxsll9Oq1rpp85po1_250.gif

Edited by Dan_Dare
Automerged Doublepost

Dan, in the spirit of things could you spoiler that image, it will ruin the surprise for anyone who is yet to see it.

This is an awesome article and explains everything about the Hulk. Written by the Hulk.

THE HULK ON MARK RUFFALO’S HULK

I had to open firebug and get rid of the all-caps.

What's the point in writing like the Hulk if your syntax and tone is nothing like the Hulk? Then it's just an article written in serif all-caps, which is the reading equivalent of someone poking you in the eye with a rake.

Good article though.

I'm with @chairdriver on this really. (And the Prof X / Magneto comparison is magnificent). The Avengers is fine but people are praising it way too much. It served a silly, guilty pleasure purpose in seeing heroes together, but as a film it is rushed, weak and really samey. It really, really does nothing we haven't seen before. We've SEEN heroes working together before, the only difference here is that you have to have paid to see 5 other movies to get all the jokes.

People keep defending this film saying "oh well, it's just a super hero movie, what do you expect?" The audience shouldn't HAVE to expect mediocrity. We shouldn't be made to feel guilty for wanting a decent film at the end of what has essentially been a 5-year-long hype.

It didn't need to go into as much depth as films like Watchmen for example (which I don't think is a perfect film at all), but I feel very let down by the action, specifically. I don't see how everyone here is so easily pleased with stock, cgi enemies being smashed into explosions by over-powered heroes. There was absolutely no drama, no pain... no loss or risk in the final 20 minutes. Even the city being blown up seemed to be pretty ok with the whole "invasion from black hole alien monsters". Nothing seemed to really matter... and that really, really bothered me.

Edited by Hamishmash

It was basically a big budget lame filler episode of Buffy with super heroes. It's one of those character gangbangs that Joss Whedon excels at writing but hasn't managed to ever write differently from previous incarnations of the 'Scooby Gang' (Angel/Buffy/Firefly/ETC).

Edited by Daft

Excuse my untimely arrival in this thread, I just saw it with @Frank.

- I was going to see it in 2D because I am an idiot, but ended up seeing it in 3D as the cinema we went to didn't have it in 2D, and it was cheaper than the main cinema. I do not regret it. It's done well, there's no gimmicky fly-out-of-the-screen effects really.

- EVERYONE IS SO BUFF! Holy crap. I am motivated to start working out again (well, I already did last night).

- I like the scale of the...apocalypse at the end, the body count (lol) makes it so much more epic.

- Hulk was done really well in this, I refused to see the Hulk movie because he looked silly.

- Yay, Scarlett Johansson!

- I didn't care for Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk, or Thor (or their movies...), but I ended up thinking they were really cool in the movie.

- Loki is sexy. Like a more attractive Severus Snape (but mainly his voice). Why do I feel wrong for saying this...

- I liked how nothing was overly upsetting, like Coulson's death, war in NYC, people getting punched in the face, etc.

- I was afraid that Stark would steal the focus of the film in terms of dialogue, but he didn't! Yay.

- The combination of all of the heroes was just so, so awesome. Like a team of X-Men, multiplied by infinity.

- I want to watch it again *______*

edit: This...nooooo :( I hated Fantastic Four, and especially this dude!

avengers-am-i-the-only-one-that-gives-a-shit.jpg

Edited by EddieColeslaw

Well I watched this for a second time in the cinema tonight, this time at a cineworld in Cardiff.... still loved it!

Played some different trailers at the start but still no spiderman etc. :/

So ended up seeing this a 3rd time :D

Last saturday some reletives were down and my 12 year old cousin mentioned he hadn't yet seen the film but really wanted to. I as a joke said, why not check the cinema times here see when the next show is. And my aunt (his mother) said... would you bring him in? I'll pay your ticket?

haha, 3rd viewing and for free, YAY.

Still loved it.

Though did notice that being so "long" since release now, a lack of "nerds" in the cinema. Sure people laughed at the main funny bits but the more subtle ones like when Selvig says "it's putting out small amounts of gamma radiation, nothing harmful" and Fury replies.

Small "In-joke" I guess, when I saw it first and 2nd time loads of people laughed, this time I was the only one who got it :heh:

So ended up seeing this a 3rd time :D

Last saturday some reletives were down and my 12 year old cousin mentioned he hadn't yet seen the film but really wanted to. I as a joke said, why not check the cinema times here see when the next show is. And my aunt (his mother) said... would you bring him in? I'll pay your ticket?

haha, 3rd viewing and for free, YAY.

Still loved it.

Though did notice that being so "long" since release now, a lack of "nerds" in the cinema. Sure people laughed at the main funny bits but the more subtle ones like when Selvig says "it's putting out small amounts of gamma radiation, nothing harmful" and Fury replies.

Small "In-joke" I guess, when I saw it first and 2nd time loads of people laughed, this time I was the only one who got it :heh:

Is the in joke about "the other guy"?

When my friends and I went to see it, we felt like we were the only ones laughing at anything.