NEurope
Retro_Link

The Avengers

Im just looking forward to the Marvel movie marathon at ReZ's new flat once Avengers is out on blu ray, should be awesome :p

I didn't get to do a 3rd viewing of this the weekend as planned.

My cousin did come down, we did rent Cap & Thor which he did enjoy but he decided to not want to go to the cinema as on his way down to my place he got two flat tyres which he obviously had to then buy new ones so didn't have money for cinema....gggrrrr.

I might be going up to his place first weekend of June... ye think Avengers will still be in cinemas round then (I have a feeling he won't go to cinema unless I push him, haha) :heh:

Im just looking forward to the Marvel movie marathon at ReZ's new flat once Avengers is out on blu ray, should be awesome :p

Speaking of which, is there a release date for the Bluray? Or when should we expect it?

Really hoping for a 6 film boxset *dreams*

Speaking of which, is there a release date for the Bluray? Or when should we expect it?

Really hoping for a 6 film boxset *dreams*

Amazon Germany has it for September, so probably around then.

Ok then, theories about Avengers 2?

Obviously we should see Thanos returning but one thing ive been wondering is do you think we will see Cap pick up and use Thor's hammer at some point?

Yeah, maybe. They need that scene between Cap and Thanos for sure, though. I don't actually know much about Thanos, or at least his involvement with the Avengers.

I read a theory that Coulson is going to become Vision, given he had so much irrelevant screen-time and has been contracted for 9 movies. I feel stunned by the joke.

Yeah, maybe. They need that scene between Cap and Thanos for sure, though. I don't actually know much about Thanos, or at least his involvement with the Avengers.

The thing with Thanos is that he's too powerful for fight scenes against him to actually be in any way interesting. Like, his function in the comics originally was so the writer could monologue about death, mortality and nihilism for pages and pages.

I wish they went down the Masters Of Evil route, where the Avengers are faced by a team of weaker villains, who are still great.

Edited by chairdriver
Automerged Doublepost

Speaking of the Blu-Ray, there will be about 30 mimnutes of additional scenes, mostly involving Captain America.

Speaking of the Blu-Ray, there will be about 30 mimnutes of additional scenes, mostly involving Captain America.

he goes to see Peggy as an old lady. Plus I assume there was originally more than just a flash of him in the block of ice.

Hopefully they'll get Joss Whedon back for it, so he can help make another near-perfect script and manage the characters - especially as there will probably be a few more.

I agree with this 100% and I have to apologise to Joss - I was sceptical about his involvement in this film. But he won me over.

Y'see, I absolutely hated both of those films. They attempted to be far too cerebral with ridiculous subject matter. The high point of Watchmen was the actor playing Rorshach and the saving grace of V was the fact that it did, eventually, have an end.

I feel that's more because both were badly directed though. (Zack Snyder is the worst person.)

Could any director make the end of Watchmen resemble anything half decent without completely changing it?

I really hope for Avengers 2 we get

Ultron or someone other than Thanos, as technically he was in this movie as the manipulator behind Loki, When he returns it can be for the infinity gauntlet. And if not Ultron how about a secret war based film?

I really hope for Avengers 2 we get

Ultron or someone other than Thanos, as technically he was in this movie as the manipulator behind Loki, When he returns it can be for the infinity gauntlet. And if not Ultron how about a secret war based film?

I'd like to see Ultron introduced in either the Ant-Man movie or Avengers 2 but I wouldnt want him as the villain until Avengers 3 at least. He needs to be built up so you will understand the shame Pym feels after he turns.

Interestingly, Avengers fails the Bechdel test. In the two hour long movie, there is no dialogue between two women.

That's probably the most pointless "test" I've ever seen.

Edit: And to show how pointless it is here is an article showing how The Avengers is actually brilliant at portraying women in the film.

Edited by Cube

Ha, Captain America's glutes. Yeah I didn't see any oversexualisation in that movie, and Black Widow kicked a lot of ass.

I'd like to know though, since I amn't too well up on Hulk and it's probably a stupid question, but how come sometimes he goes mental and sometimes he is well behaved? Is it that if he chooses to transform he can control it but if he has a fit of rage he can't?

Edited by heroicjanitor

Black Widow never spoke to Nick Fury's bitch in the entire film?

Robin? No, they never spoke.

I guess this is partly because X-Men is obviously an allegory for LGBT oppression

I'm sorry, I am probably going to get slammed just for asking this, but please explain to me how X-Men is obviously an allegory for LGBT oppression as opposed to, say, racial minorities, gender issues or civil rights?

There are individual moments that clearly are specific to LGBT "have you tried not being a mutant?" but on the whole, the series clearly mirrors minority, class and civil right issues as a blanket topic.

I'm sorry, I am probably going to get slammed just for asking this, but please explain to me how X-Men is obviously an allegory for LGBT oppression as opposed to, say, racial minorities, gender issues or civil rights?

There are individual moments that clearly are specific to LGBT "have you tried not being a mutant?" but on the whole, the series clearly mirrors minority, class and civil right issues as a blanket topic.

Well yeah, Stan Lee has confirmed that loads of times in interviews.

You could argue it fits LGBT on a personal level- with characters discovering their abilities in puberty in the same way teenagers realise they're gay. It's different to race at that level because you don't suddenly turn black or switch sex at 14 or whatever. The civil rights parable comes in when looking at the political level with prof x and magneto.

I know it fits it, absolutely. I'm not arguing that the allegory doesn't exist, and in more ways than one, only that it's strange to call X-Men "an allegory of LGBT repression" as though that's its main underlying purpose.

I know it fits it, absolutely. I'm not arguing that the allegory doesn't exist, and in more ways than one, only that it's strange to call X-Men "an allegory of LGBT repression" as though that's its main underlying purpose.

Specifically the movies, it undeniably is. Bobby Drake "coming out" to his parents, "the cure", William Stryker: "my son is not a mutant / I don't have a son", Nightcrawler being self-loathing, Mystique: "I shouldn't have to pretend to not be a mutant", etc etc.

^ Which displays my point well. With X-Men you can pick out a plethora of stunning bits / aspects, and see that they are devices in the script. Avengers you can kinda talk about Nick Fury and the baseball cards, the attempt to give Maria Hill a life at the start, perhaps talk about Hulk, but it feels like there's not much depth to anything. Everything is as what you see.

I agree with Oxigen Waste, it's going to be largely irrelevant in 5 years in the sense that the only reason you'd watch it is to watch a film about the Avengers.

I agree with Oxigen Waste, it's going to be largely irrelevant in 5 years in the sense that the only reason you'd watch it is to watch a film about the Avengers.

I'm still puzzled that you think people chose to watch a superhero movie for anything other than the superheroes and action.