NEurope
Retro_Link

The Avengers

Thats bullshit, the Red Skull isnt in that scene. Its just Thanos and the leader of the Chitauri, the guy im assuming they called"The Other" in the credits.

That's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if it was just my cinema/maybe only the Americans got it.

That's the name I was thinking of. I kept searching for Thanatos.

The only thing that came to my mind when I saw his name in this thread is "the extra H is for Hamazing".

wQuja.jpg

Well this weekend I'm going to sit and re-watch all the Avengers type movies ready in preperation for this. (yes I'm behind) including the one I havn't yet seen Captain America.

Well this weekend I'm going to sit and re-watch all the Avengers type movies ready in preperation for this. (yes I'm behind) including the one I havn't yet seen Captain America.

I re-watched Captain America (third time) on Wednesday. Still Awesome!

I re-watched Captain America (third time) on Wednesday. Still Awesome!

Yeah I know I said to a while back it was on my love film list but I still havn't got it despite being only high priority title so in the end I've picked it up instead....

Canon wise does anyone know the correct order to watch them in as such or does it not matter? I'm gonna just watch them in release order.

Yeah I know I said to a while back it was on my love film list but I still havn't got it despite being only high priority title so in the end I've picked it up instead....

Canon wise does anyone know the correct order to watch them in as such or does it not matter? I'm gonna just watch them in release order.

I watched them in release order but I think the after credits scene in Thor will make more sense if you have already watched Captain America...

But nothing major so it doesn't really matter that much.

I watched them in release order but I think the after credits scene in Thor will make more sense if you have already watched Captain America...

But nothing major so it doesn't really matter that much.

Yeah I've already seen Thor so I know what scene you mean.

We rewatched them all on Wednesday before we went to see The Avengers in the evening, and I almost ruined my eyes.

Gave myself a headache and almost ruined the Avengers!

Totally worth it though.

Yeah I've already seen Thor so I know what scene you mean.

The bit where this guy turns up?

throg_thor_frog.jpg

When I watched them all in my Avengers prep I did it in release order with the exception of Captain America which I watched first.

So it went

Captain America, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor

Though if you want to get technical parts of Hulk, IM2 and Thor happen at the same time roughly, shame you can't combine them all nicely spliced up into one epic 10 hour film :heh:

If you haven't seen them, I would watch Captain America before Thor. Thor makes the ending of Captain America have less of an impact.

Actually there is a good question,

I have a cousin visiting for the weekend, of the 5 films he hasn't seen Cap & Thor, we planned to rent those tomorrow and then go to cinema for Avengers (his 1st time seeing....my 3rd :heh:) on Sunday.

I was thinking of showing him Thor first then Cap as he hasn't seen either, thinking having seen Thor first would make some elements of Cap (Refreneces to Norse gods and "magic" and of course the Cosmic Cube) make more sense.

For a first time viewer of both (bare in mind he is not a big comics fan and doesn't know much about either character to begin with) which order do ye think would be best to show him those two films before going to see Avengers?

The way I see it, the "mystery" behind the magic stuff is greater in Captain America if you don't already know what it all is. You don't need to know it's Asgard stuff.

Plus there is effect used in Red Skull's "death", which is exactly the same as the transportation cannon effect. I think the impact would be greater if you weren't already aware of the effect.

If you don't watch it in chronological order, you're doing it wrong.

Captain America

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Incredible Hulk

Thor

OR

If you're super hardcore, get four T.V.s, start Captain America, pause it, play Iron Man and finish it, then put Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Thor on at the same time, then unpause Captain America at the end of it all.

If you're super hardcore, get four T.V.s, start Captain America, pause it, play Iron Man and finish it, then put Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk and Thor on at the same time, then unpause Captain America at the end of it all.

If I had 4 TV's and 4 Bluray players I would so try that.

Though you wouldn't start IM2, Hulk & Thor at the same time, you'd have to time it right so that as IM2 is ending when Hulk reaches the University fight scene and when Thor reaches the scene with Coulson finding the hammer.

EDIT:

Actually if you REALLY want to be hardcore you'd need a 5th TV and extra Blurays of Cap and Thor so that you could add the two Agent Coulson One-Shots in from the bonus features

I didnt watch Cap first, it may come first in chronological order but there are a good few references to Thor shit (which are better seen after Thor) and I feel the way Cap ends especially the extra scene that leads into Avengers is better.

I'm gonna go chronological order its only of fitting in Captain America and Hulk in as I've seen all the rest.

I feel the films are so referential to the comics that you don't really need to watch them in any order.

I've got to be honest here... every single scene before New York was really uninteresting and run of the mill stuff. The only real way to describe the first two thirds of the movie is "watchable".

The last third, however... was incredible. This movie is just overall quite a stupid achievement. The plot is ridiculously vanilla and lazy, there's no drive behind it apart from "here are these 4 loose cannons, see how fun they can be to watch?", Loki is a lame excuse for a villain (even though he is a great character) and fails miserably to provide any feeling of threat, plus the action in the majority of the film is just unambitious and condescending towards it's audience. Add one of the worst cold opens of all time and you have a sure recipe for disaster.

And then we enter the third act. Everything remains just as dumb an unfocused as it's been from the start, but the action... is just perfect, for lack of a better word. Hulk's smashing endeavours in particular shine as bright as blockbuster action has ever shone.

So yeah, I guess the movie is redeemed. The movie is a convoluted mess saved by a single grace, which is one of the best action sequences in recent history. Does that mean it's worth watching? Absolutely. But that hardly means it deserves the insane amount of praise it's getting. It's bloated and hollow.

It also feels really empty in the sense that it doesn't contain any sort of depth to the script. I mean, the team consists of a WWII soldier, a weapons dealer, a warrior god of myth and a walking metaphor for the dangers of nuclear warfare, and throughout the 2 hour film there's not one reflection on the nature of war? There's not one comment on how war has changed over time? There's nothing said to give us any feeling that Thor's presence is supposed to represent something more than him just being a _literal_ god.

I mean, it's would be so easy to write a really good script (in the sense it has content) with this array of characters, but it doesn't delve at any point deeper than a surface level. Even the reaction to the death avoids any comment on what it means to give up elements of your personal freedoms in joining military.

It's just completely apolitical and contentless. But the action was good.

Edited by chairdriver

throughout the 2 hour film there's not one reflection on the nature of war?

Why would they spend time talking about something completely random, which has no relevance to the events in the film? The only person who has any kind of experience on this kind of "war" is Thor.

It seems like a subject best left for Captain America 2.

Why would they spend time talking about something completely random, which has no relevance to the events in the film? The only person who has any kind of experience on this kind of "war" is Thor.

It seems like a subject best left for Captain America 2.

Because that would help the film have some value above being just what it is as a story?

It wouldn't take much, just someone who can actually write properly to write the script, you could add so much depth to the script by a couple of sentences here and there.

~~

I only just remembered this, but was anyone else literally SHOCKED when Loki called Black Widow a "Mewling quim"?? Probably the most obscene thing I've ever heard said on film. I have absolutely no idea how they got away with that. And there wasn't even any notion of "oh you sexist piece of shit" in retaliation. While she was over it (she was just acting), I think it's important for people to know that you can't just call a person a quim and it not be a thing.

Quim is like the number 1 most offensive/disgusting word in the whole English language. Actually sounds horrid and slimy, where cunt just sounds aggressive.

Edited by chairdriver

lol I'm so going to call my brother a mewling quim tomorow. We like to randomly call each other insulting names out of nowhere, brotherly love eh?

Edited by bryanee

Just looked up what it means and it's an awesome word lol. I think he got away with it in a pg-13 movie because not many people know what it means? I didn't know what he said until you mentioned it there. Just remembered a heated exchange/her outsmarting him.

Edit: Just saw someone refer to The Avengers' jets as quimjets :p

Edited by heroicjanitor