NEurope
Retro_Link

The Avengers

Oh my god that movie was so good :D Also there were an amazing number of comic book fans there, dressed up as random people. They clapped when certain funny things happened. Pretty good atmosphere.

Awesome movie. Read all the Avengers comics as a kid & never believed i'd see them on the big screen, especially in a movie as awesome as this & I must say the prequel movies leading up to this were very well done.

Don't watch many films more than once or twice but can't wait to see this again & it's a first ever for me day one movie on bluray purchase.

I was just reading some Avengers threads on other forums and someone pointed out something which hadn't occurred to me

Why is Thanos' hand human when his face was obviously CGI and alien?

Something happened after the credits? O_o I didn't see because I was holding it in for over an hour because of the awesomeness, as soon as it ended I left :( One of the comic book guys I mentioned though couldn't hold it, and full on sprinted across the movie screen trying to not miss too much :laughing:

Cap was turd.

I enjoy how he felt "bad". Like, shit in comparison to Iron Man and Thor. And I liked how they actively made a thing of him being really anachronistic and annoying to talk to. It felt like he only came into his own in the last 20 mins of the film, which felt stunning. Really loved the team-up fighting, using his shield to deflect the energy from Thor (or was it Iron Man?) to hit an alien etc. And I enjoy the feeling of being agile, like jumping over cars etc, but not ridiculously so, not like CGI / Spider-Man agile.

I loved how Black Widow felt like she had his role covered, and was more efficient at doing it. Of course she was the one to outwit Loki. EASY.

I also liked how it was a thing that his costume is bad. Actually part of the script.

I felt Black Widow and Hawkeye put him to shame. I felt I had no idea why he was there and wondered why I should care when he was. I felt that the deflecty beam thing summed him up perfectly; he was a piece of scenery. In fact I felt the deflecty beam thing summed up the whole film perfectly, awesomely flashy but utterly pointless - where/what exactly was the plot?

where/what exactly was the plot?

Loki, brother of Thor had found his way into deep space, following the finale of the Thor movie. Having come across a race of aliens known as the Chituari, he was given a staff and promised them a planet in exchange for the use of the staff and the army.

Loki goes to Earth in order to obtain the cosmic cube, a highly powerful weapon that could open a gateway in the time/space continuum. He steals the cube, and starts work on gathering his own army and resources, required to open up the portal.

In response to the imminent threat to Earth, Nick Fury, director of the government organisation SHIELD is forced to return to The Avengers initiative and begins to put the pieces into place, recruiting the Earth's mightiest heroes.

Loki is captured, as part of his plan and attempts to disassemble the Avengers from the inside, to make his alien army able to wreak more havok. He causes a mid-air disaster, and The Avengers are left scattered.

Loki puts the final piece of the plan into play, setting up the cosmic cube in New York City, and opening the portal to deep space. The Chituari army attack, leaving destruction and pain in their wake. Finally The Avengers come together and lead by Captain America they attempt damage control and to bring an end to the onslaught of the alien army.

With Loki's army defeated, Thor takes him prisoner to be returned to Asgard. The other Avengers all get back to their regular jobs, and for now, the Earth is safe again.

I admit it irritates me when people say "what was the plot?". Its a very different statement to "Not much happened, story wise".

Honestly, I loved it, all of them. My favourite was Loki, I have to disagree about the Captain, I think really if you watch Captain America he's pretty much the same way and I don't think it'd work if he wasn't there.

Not sure how Hawk Eye and Black Widow will work out, I didn't really enjoy Black Widow as a character, I don't know why, she doesn't didn't feel particularly special, still worth having, but I don't know..

Anyway, I can't wait to watch it again, although this time in 2D, the 3D was so dark especially with the glasses that I couldn't pick up lots of details.

I admit it irritates me when people say "what was the plot?". Its a very different statement to "Not much happened, story wise".

You obviously know I meant the latter. + 'It was a lame plot.' The plot was actually worse than the Green Lantern's movie plot.

But whatevs, it wasn't a bad film, it was pretty stunning.

Edited by Daft

Looks like this time you got my back, Mokong Nerd rage diverted :awesome:

I think Daft is just trolling at this stage, such a statement as "where/what was the plot" makes no sense when talking about any film you've just seen. Even if you didn't like the film surely it wouldn't be that hard to work out what was going on unless you decided to leave the cinema 5 mins into the film. ;)

(EDIT:

note: Daft's above reply to Rez was posted while I was typing so I only saw it after I posted this)

In releation to Cap again

What were you expecting from Cap?

I already tried to explain it before how he is not meant to appear equal in "power/abilities" to the other 3.

Even in the comics he was never elevated to that level in what he could and couldn't do.

With Cap it was never just about what he could do (in his "powers") but also who he was as a person. Which is why in his origin story there is large focus on how he wasn't a tough guy before, he wasn't big, he wasn't popular. But he was a good man with a strong heart and sense of justice.

"Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion."

It takes more than being a "stong man" to gain respect from others, if strenght and power was all it took everyone would have just bowed down to Loki as soon as he showed up. You also have to be a "good person" (best I can describe it) which I think the rest of the Avengers saw in Cap which is why took no issues when he started barking orders. Because he earned their respect and they knew he knew what he was talking about when it comes to battle tactics.

In comparison, Batman as part of the Justice League would seem pointless when compared to the likes of Superman and Green Lantern but he still has a role to play.

I think this is a better description that whatever I typed yesterday.

Edited by Mokong

To be honest I dont really get the complaints about the plot.

Loki is all pissed off, takes it out on Earth. Avengers have to assemble to stop him.

Just because something is a simple plot does not make it a bad one.

That. Was. Awesome.

Hulk stole the show for me. Great casting for Banner and just so many great moments with Hulk. Fight with Thor was brilliant, Caps "Hulk SMASH" then carnage!, the punch on THOR after working together lulz!! and the Loki smackdown mid speech! Pure brilliance.

Robert Downey Jr was once again spot on and brilliant as Stark. Christ such a great film still on a massive high and smiling at everything. Defo going to see it again.

I love the whole idea of doing the individual films first for the build up and then to explode it all in one massive orgasm in the Avengers. Thank you for this. J'adore.

More more more!

I went and seen it again last night and it's just as good a second time around.

I had to keep my laughter in a certain points as I knew what was coming but my mates didn't. :D

Mokong discussed this earlier in the thread and I wanted to just come back to it.

Banner has complete control over his alter ego at the end of the film yet doesn't seem to when they are all on the helicarrier. Could this be because of Loki having some form of influence over him? He kinda admits the Hulk plan to Black Widow and the smile he gives Banner when he passes him indicates something is going on. I mean that was his plan once he surrendered to shield.

Well...that was average. But I was expecting average so I suppose I've not been disappointed.

Good plot or no, an entertaining film makes you care about the characters and their plight. Or even gives you a reason to root for the bad guy. This did neither.

Bland is the word I would choose. Not overly offensive and I don't regret watching it but I wouldn't watch it again.

4/10

Good plot or no, an entertaining film makes you care about the characters and their plight. Or even gives you a reason to root for the bad guy. This did neither.

By the fact that they were killing thousands of helpful individuals and would have levelled the entirety of New York City.....is this basically admission that you're a terrorist? :p

Haha! The thing is, I never saw any civilians actually being killed. And they were all American infidel anyway.

The number of poor aliens being slaughtered though...

Saw this earlier today. I absolutely loved it - I was surprised at how....Whedon it actually felt. My thoughts (note that the majority of my knowledge is through the films as I never really read comics)...I may be repeating stuff others have said.

RDJ awesome as always, and his scenes with Banner were great. I also like how he an Rogers didn't get along for most of the films. The "banter" between everyone was great.

He had a great role in the final battle, and his fight with Thor was awesome.

The new guy did a terrific job, he also had some of the best funny moments: Him hitting Thor out of the way after working together and him interrupting Loki's speech.

Speaking of that, the interaction between everyone in the final fight was great, as they all paired up with someone else at different times and all had their own great moments, too.

He seemed to feel mostly useless until he took on the "leader" position near the end, with the great line "Hulk [pause as everyone knows what he's going to say next but it's still great] Smash!".

He was good, but probably the worst out of the bunch and had the least great stuff to say (other than the "He's adopted" line). The character still isn't very interesting. I'm glad the massively toned down how powerful his hammer was, though.

I actually really liked these as part of the team. Neither of them were superpowered, they were just really good at their professions.

The scene with Black Widow tricking Loki was wonderful, and Hawkeye getting controlled at the start was surprising.

I also thought Black Widow was introduced really well - I can't remember a single thing about her from Iron Man 2.

Nick Fury didn't seem particularly interesting, not were his fight scenes interesting. He just seemed to be there to get everyone together.

With Maria Hill, I was pleasantly surprised at how much screen time the lovely Cobie Smulders got. I also loved the design of the helicarrier, and Tony Stark having to fix one of the propellers.

A massive improvement over Thor. He actually felt like he was a threat to someone rather than being nothing more than a pathetic whiny bitch like he was in Thor. Him trying to control Stark was great.

The screen time and jokes were divided between everything pretty well, and the dialogue had a Whedon feel about it. I was surprised at how fleshed out even Hawkeye and Black Widow were, but it never felt like they took time away from the main guys.

There was a ton of great humour, lots of great fights - I loved how due to circumstances the heroes fought each other a few times.

Then the helicarrier was attacked, once scene I thought that would be great to see (that unfortunately never happened) would have been Captain having to help Stark until he got to his suit. It would have been a great ending to the argument they just had. Still, that's just something I thought of and not having it doesn't detract from the film.

I loved the design of the aliens, and the big carriers. For some reason they felt a bit "video gamey" - not the CGI, but the design of them and the whole thats-not-actually-a-boss-there-are-loads-of-the-massive-ones thing.

It marked a great end to my non-cinema spree that lasted from 2009.

Edited by Cube

You were so close to not getting thanked with what I can only assume were ReZourceman-Taunts, calling Hawkeye "Hawkman", but I supposed they didn't actually call him it in the film.

eK2eR.gif

Well they actually bothered to contextualise Parallax as opposed to this...robot alien army...thing. So yeah.

Watched Thor again last night and noticed.

the older doctor guy is obviously controlled by / is Loki at the very end but watching it again it totally holds up to consider him to be Loki the entire time. He's very subtly negative about Thor throughout and a lot of his actions seek to undermine or distract Thor from his journey. He also spends a lot of time trying to keep Jane (who's a few months work away from reversing Thor's banishment) from spending time with Thor. Of course, the clever part is that he's a legit character without being Loki, but it's a fun way to think about him.

So great.

I never expected it to be that successul a film. Unf. My friend and I were lying on the floor after the mid-credits scene. Dying.

Fuck what you think all h8rs of this film, it was excellent conceived, the perfect result of all the build-up. The Thor film feels so "..." in comparison, like it's now so obvious how they struggled to make an interesting film out of his story (which they did, but not overly), and Natalie Portman's prescence in anything now just annoys me. (Except Garden State)

Thor was too silly/random/hodge-podge/obviously made so they didn't have to explain him in Avengers. Or it feels that way now. It's fine and enjoyable but nothing on this.

MMmmm.

MAJOR SPOILERS:

HOW WILL THANOS FACTOR IN>>>!

I need a cosmic hero introduced. But someone relevant. I need Ms. Marvel. Maybe too awkward to introduce...they could just have a few joke new members in Avengers 2, and you are forced to assume they were found and assimilated.

I'd love Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (heavily based on their Ultimate universe versions). Adds more superpower to the team/could have hints of mutant persecution. Are these films allowed to even mention mutants though? Does Fox have the rights to that end of things entirely?