NEurope
Retro_Link

The Avengers

marvel-avengers.jpg

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/110/1107983p1.html

July 22, 2010

Avengers Officially Scores a Director

Whedon officially announced that he is directing The Avengers to a very happy Comic-Con crowd. Previously, the writer-director of Serenity was "in talks" to make the Marvel team-up movie, but now the Joss is officially on board. This isn't surprising, but it's nice to have this news 100% from the source.

So what is Whedon's take? "It is a little early for that," he said. Whedon did reveal that he is currently writing an outline for the film, and is excited to helm the project to explore the "family aspect" of this unique pairing of superheroes.

"This [team-up] is counter-intuitive, these people shouldn't be on the same team," Whedon said, and that aspect is why he wants to make the movie.

IGN Movies will see you in line at the theatre, when The Avengers opens May 4, 2012.

I'm really interested to see what Joss will do. His X-Men is outstanding, but that's comics. But he does do big action with good characters well in general so hopes are high.

Whedon Confirms Jeremy Renner As Hawkeye In Avengers

On the eve of the Marvel Studios panel at Comic-Con International, director Joss Whedon has confirmed The Hurt Locker star Jeremy Renner will play Hawkeye in The Avengers.

“There will be some avenging that takes place during the film and that’s about all I can tell you,” Whedon tells OnTheRedCarpet.com. “I think it’s well-known that Jeremy Renner is joining us as Hawkeye, which is so exciting for me and the rest of the cast.”

Rumors circulated for months that Renner would portray Marvel’s outspoken archer, leading to a report in early June that the Oscar-nominated actor was in final negotiations for the role. The studio remained quiet about Renner, perhaps waiting for the announcement of Whedon’s involvement, or for the official introductions at Comic-Con. However, most everyone else seemed to treat Renner’s casting as a foregone conclusion.

The confirmation comes quickly on the heels of a report that Marvel had reached a deal for Mark Ruffalo to play Bruce Banner in The Avengers, replacing Edward Norton. Presumably, Renner and Ruffalo will join Whedon and cast members Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson and possibly a couple of others Saturday afternoon in Hall H.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/23/cci-whedon-confirms-jeremy-renner-as-hawkeye-in-avengers/

Cool, Hawkeye sounds like a great character.

Just hope the cast doesn't grow too big for this first film, in what will most likely be a new series.

n175004.jpg

What I always think of when I hear the film name.

Is that official? If so, I'm glad they're using the actual logo.

So where's Eva Longoria? She's not in it then? Or is this old news?

Having just Black Widow adds somewhat though.

Somehow, the fact that Scarlett Johansson apparently actively wanted to be in the Avengers film adds so much to her whole bag.

Almost as much as Anywhere I Lay My Head does.

Awesome!!

So is Hawkeye the only main cast addition?... If so great!

I'm sure there will be some other cameo appearances, but keeping the main cast down is a good choice IMO!

Thought that looked meh....

....Until Arnim Zola and Constrictor came on. And then it started looking awesome.

I watched that earlier, didnt think it looked that bad but I did hate the intro music.

What is it with the cartoons of today... they all look aweful!

Full of awe? :p

He may well mean awful. Unless he really does enjoy every modern cartoon to the point of awe...?

Yeah he probably meant awful.

OK major confusion has ensued!...

I now have a horrible feeling I've been spelling it wrong my entire life!

Yeah, really uninspiring. Though I loved the anime-esque bit where it poignantly doesn't show Black Widow and Hawkeye's faces, just their forearms.

Wolverine and the X-Men was gooooood!! The first genuinely good marvel cartoon in ages. And it's gone.

They can't keep stopping and starting random cartoons just cause the movies are coming out. The DCUA seems so much classier because it was sustained for so long while nothing of much quality movie-wise was around. And DC's cartoons are generally way better than Marvel's. (Except WatXm)