NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Eddage

Yet Another "Recommend Me A Graphics Card" Thread!

Ok this has all changed so if your confused by the first few replies then just ignore them...

Quit simply I wanna make my PC bigger and better (well not so much bigger)!

What I'm thinking is New Mothorboard, CPU, Graphics Card, and maybe some more memory.

From what I've picked up around here the general conception seems to be that AMD CPU's are better than their Intel counterparts so I'll probably head in that direction, other than that the only thing that I really know is that I sould spend between £300-400 but that could go higher if needs be, oh and it doesn't have to be the 'greatest system ever' (not that I'm gonna get that with £400 though!). but something that could handle games such as Half Life 2 (loved the original) quite comfortably, but not necessarily on the highest setting.

One last thing is that the graphics card needs DVI out so that I can connect it to my LCD television, although I doubt this will be much of a problem!

Cheers for any help!

theres ur problem right there

Cheers for that ultra helpful comment there, obviously I had absolutely no idea that this would be some sort of a problem! ("Oh and incase you didn't get it I was being sarcastic")

I realise that idealy I would want PCI, but that would mean getting a new motherboard (and once again I would want a reasonably good one), and subsequently a new graphics chip (mine isn't exactly great) and then the graphics card as well, and all this does add up.

Okay then, lets say I had a mothorboard with a PCI slot, what sort of card would I be able to get within the price range, and whilst we're at it how much would a half decent PCI enabled mothorboard cost?!

Ok, most motherboartds have PCI Slots on them, it's where you plug in Modem cards, and Sound Cards...

what you're thinking of is PCI-X or PCI Express, or something of that name... (maybe Jordan or Roadki|| can clarify)

But yeah you'd need a new motherboard to get a pcix slot.

Tell ya what, I think I'm gonna rename this thread and just make it a "help me re-build my PC" thread...

EDIT:

Is there a way to change the thread title? I thought I had but that's just the bit above each individual post, if any mods read this then could they please change it!?

dude if i were u, i just save my money and buy a whole new pc, the thing is once you spend at least 100 on a motherboared u gonar have at least 300 left, now the cpu is gonar cost ya, i.e amd 64 3200+ which leaves 150, u will then need a ram stick like 512 mb of ram (do not use your old ram on your current comp), so it can sync with the cpu which cost at least 50 ( for a good brand) and then your left with 100 for a gfx card, which for £100 is not gonar be a good one

hence just save up and buy a new pc or built one

I have a X800 GT and I can play games like HL2 and Doom3 with High resolutions and with every option at maximum just great. I'm loving it!

I have a X800 GT and I can play games like HL2 and Doom3 with High resolutions and with every option at maximum just great. I'm loving it!

what bout fear or quake 4?

:indeed:

Haven't tried them out, but I doubt it doesn't fare well. I'm not saying it's the best, but not everyone is rich. Unless you have a lot money to spend on the best, the X800 is a good buy.

I just upgraded to the Geforce 6600 GT, and to be honest it really is the best bang-for-buck.

I play battlefield 2 no sweat.

7800 GTX. Get one for just over £200 ish. No competition for the price.

Dont bother with the x800 and x850 because they dont support SM3.0 which games are already starting to use. ALos they are comparable to a 6800 performance wise which also uses SM3.0

My specs: AMD 2500+ @ 1.83 Ghz, 1 GB DDRAM, Radeon Sapphire 9800 Pro.

Works easily on 1024*768 High, even multiplayer. So an x800 GT could do better easily. That ATI OpenGL hotfix gives you an extra 4 fps at least.

Doom 3 took a lot more out of my machine than Q4.

Haven't tried FEAR.

-edit-

And don't start about the 'Ultra' graphics settings, that's just for iD's e-penis, nobody's expected to use them (unless you can find a 512 MB graphics card around for a price that doesn't require you to sell siblings)

So something like this could easily run Half Life 2 and could run newer games fairly well?

If this is the case then I think I'll get myself one of these.

So something like this could easily run Half Life 2 and could run newer games fairly well?

If this is the case then I think I'll get myself one of these.

thats a good card, ( i think u can mod that into a x850xt pe easily), it run hl2 well but i do not know about newer games like fear, i beleve u can get atleast medium - high settings, i suggest u save your money and buy wither a x860xt pe if u have agp r a 7800gt if u have pci e

my X800 XTPE runs FEAR maxed out, apart from AA which i have off. I got 60-90fps constant.

Then again i do have 2 gigs of a ram and a fairly fast processor...

go for the X800, i can run games like rome total war and hl2 and cs:s fine on my 1.2 gtz 552ram ati 9800 machine, so a x800 should have no trouble runnign them, and they are a good price now as well.

Buy some axtra ddr memory and a graphics card it'l cost you about £100+ the card and 30-60 odd for the memory. Don't know much about main boards, but get a big hard drive, mines 160GB i can chuck tonns of crap on it and it just keeps sucking it up.

Ok, i have a similiar question...

Which one out of a PNY 6600GT or XFX 6800XT?

Both are 128mb but the 6600 is GDDR3

XT probably - it has GDDR3, you can unlock 8 more pipelines and has twice the memory bandwidth. I'm looking for one too.

If you don't want to mess with your card the 6600GT is probably slightly better though.

Sign in to follow this