NEurope
Murr

Dredd (2012)

He looks so sad. :sad:

That's because he's a doctor, not a judge.

IGN Review - 8/10

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review

The 1995 adaptation of Judge Dredd didn’t get it right. Not even close. The rusted, scum-riddled streets of Mega City One – a dying metropolis, addled with violent crime – were too clean, too stagey. The plot too convoluted. And Stallone’s performance as the grim lawgiver was too heroic. (He even took his helmet off.) Even one of the co-creators of Dredd, John Wagner, dismissed the entire project, saying that “Judge Dredd wasn’t really Judge Dredd." But thankfully, the failure of that project has led to a movie which really is Judge Dredd.

This simple, elegant conceit is one of the film’s greatest strength. Those who attend summer blockbusters for spectacle might be slightly underwhelmed, as the film features nothing you haven’t seen before. There’s no single standout action set-piece, and consequently Dredd will suffer comparisons with jaw-dropping action film The Raid, with which it shares a similar plot structure. And while director Pete Travis never captures the spectacular, Dredd, at just over 90 minutes, feels like one concentrated, concussive action sequence.

In many ways, Dredd feels like an action film from a simpler time, like Assault on Precinct 13 or Escape From New York. It doesn’t break the bank with escalating set-pieces, to the point where the character is lost amidst the explosions. Dredd is a character study, primarily, one fuelled by violence and action, and we can’t think of a better way to re-introduce this character to cinema audiences.

Dredd is, first and foremost, though, an action movie, a self-contained sequence of events that comes to a simple and satisfying ending. It does not force its Judges to confront any larger truths about their function in society, and even as we see a bleakness in Mega-City One that goes far beyond crime, we can't help but root for the virtuous Judges over the wicked forces of Ma-Ma. Much like its Judges, Dredd sets out to accomplish a very specific task, and it accomplishes it directly, effectively, and with no small amount of bloodshed.

I'm so delighted to hear this, it really sounds like they've captured some form of the character's bleak, tongue-in-cheek satire within an effective action movie. Can't wait to see it.

It all sounds great. Why do we have to wait so long to see it!?

Ooooh a nice new clip! - violent enough for you?

I'm guessing it's all shiny and slightly unrealistic because of slow mo right? Or is it just bad?

I'm hoping the first..someone enlighten me.

I suspect the former because when it cuts back to normal speed at the end it pretty slick...and because they just smoked some crack.

I'm guessing it's all shiny and slightly unrealistic because of slow mo right? Or is it just bad?

I'm hoping the first..someone enlighten me.

I thought it was pretty obvious it was because of the slo mo - the colours get sharper when you see the junkies take a hit of their drug.

Seriously, what's up with the [original] design of his helmet?

OK, so they put a red cross because I guess it's more intimidating, but as a reult he's a law enforcer who realistically can't see shit! Nor can he see out the sides!

Seriously, what's up with the [original] design of his helmet?

OK, so they put a red cross because I guess it's more intimidating, but as a reult he's a law enforcer who realistically can't see shit! Nor can he see out the sides!

Do you mean the [original] designed helmet that was in the Stallone film?

_11339.jpg

I suggest you read the comic which for 35 years has had the helmet like this:

judge-dredd.png

You'll be disappointed to hear that Dredd does not have a codpiece in this film unlike the [original] one.

dredd.jpg

Edited by Cookyman

Do you mean the [original] designed helmet that was in the Stallone film?
No I mean the design of the helmet since it was original concieved. It looks like they can barely see out of it.

Anybody seen this yet - going on Wednesday the reviews have been fantastic.

A2MrRjvCcAA_pal.jpg

Saw it today. I really enjoyed it. Never read the comics or seen the Stallone film, so went in with no expectations and got probably the best action film of 2012 so far.* T'was a good blend of Die Hard, Robocop and Escape from New York etc with some great action that wasn't too over the top in the violence department, and Urban was suprisingly memorable as the title character.

3D wasn't too bad either, despite a few ghosting effecrs. 2D showings are extremely limited for this film in the UK for some reason?

*Haven't seen The Raid yet.

From The Hollywood Reporter

'Dredd 3D' Takes U.K. Weekend Box Office With $1.65 Mil

It's the first 18 certificate –- equivalent to an R rating stateside -- to hit No. 1 in British theaters since 2010.

LONDON – Pete Travis' Dredd 3D, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as Judge Dredd, has shot down heavyweight competition from Anna Karenina, Lawless and Total Recall to hit the top spot at the U.K. box office.

It is the first 18 certificate – equivalent to an R rating stateside -- to be No. 1 in British theaters since 2010 when Saw 3D hit the heights.

Exact figures are being compiled but the release, distributed by Entertainment Film Distributors, has taken more than a million pounds ($1.65 million) on its opening weekend, ahead of Joe Wright's Anna Karenina which sashayed to an estimated £980,000 ($1.6 million).

dredd-smoke-modified-comic-art.jpg

Watched this before...

It was fucking awesome!

So much better than I expected. :D

3D was shit overall though. Decent in parts. (My cinema isn't even showing the 2D one otherwise I would have gone for that)

This was amazing. Not sure it was ALL that in 3d though. I'm never entirely sure a dark movie will ever work in 3d but nevertheless

8/10. Very fresh yet retro. Hopefully this will signal a return to violent action flicks :)

Damn, there's no 2D showing within a hundred miles of me. Blast it all, 3D gives me such a bolting headache. DVD purchase for me I think.

Just back from Dredd, loved it. It was a dirty, grimy, violent, stylish, and occassionally beautiful film.

Karl Urban was fantastic as Dredd and totally nailed the part.

You should all go and see this and support a British film which isn't a period drama for a change.

As for the soundtrack - very retro but it fucking rocked!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

9 out of 10 - cracking stuff!

Why is hardly anybody on here raving about what a great movie Dredd is?

You can't all be under 18!

Support independant British Cinema and see this move - or would you rather watch more victorian costume drama shite? :laughing:

135582_s0.jpg