NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

Ian Tomlinson death: police officer will not face criminal charges

I recall this, it's disgraceful the way the police officer attacked.

If I pushed a man to the street regardless - I'd be charged. I don't see how a police officer is above this, infact a police officer should show an example to the public and show be punished for doing so! The poor family.

At the very least he should have to publicly apologise to the victim's family. Then again, do any of us know the real circumstances behind it?

I personally think that the public reaction (a protest outside Scotland Yard) is a really stupid one, though.

So what they're saying is that this push [unnecessary as it was] killed him.

No doubt they're going to claim whatever "natural causes" that did the job were triggered by this forced meeting with the ground. But it does seem clutching at straws.

Horrendous. I remember that clip of the incident and it gets me in the gut. The farce about the 'conflict of medical causes of death' is also ridiculous. Urgh.

Horrendous. I remember that clip of the incident and it gets me in the gut. The farce about the 'conflict of medical causes of death' is also ridiculous. Urgh.

What would be your guess?

My guess is that a police officer pushed a man walking away from him with his hands in his pockets for little gain and was not charged with anything. If it was teh other way around and someone pushed a police officer over who then died shortly afterwards, do you think he'd get away with it scot-free?

It's just not justice.

My guess is that a police officer pushed a man walking away from him with his hands in his pockets for little gain and was not charged with anything. If it was teh other way around and someone pushed a police officer over who then died shortly afterwards, do you think he'd get away with it scot-free?

It's just not justice.

For me the medical reports can be as conflicting as they like. It's that there is this video footage and the officer has no repercussions. There was an assault. Whether it resulted in the fella's death is something else further.

I've not put that very well.

It makes sense Odders, it's not even that the guy died (although that is awful), if the man had lived the police officer should still be charged, the man wasn't being unruly or aggressive, he was just walking past and for some reason the officer decided to push him over!

WTF, the guy wasn't even doing anything. If he was assaulting the police I could understand, but he was just walking there. Regardless of what caused the man's death, Assault is Assault.

The common assault charge - which was the only possible charge that didn't rely on the conflicting results of the post-mortems - couldn't be used as it effectively has an expiry date of six months after the incident. The CPS was still allegedly deep in the investigation at the six month stage.

The common assault charge - which was the only possible charge that didn't rely on the conflicting results of the post-mortems - couldn't be used as it effectively has an expiry date of six months after the incident. The CPS was still allegedly deep in the investigation at the six month stage.

Now that's what I call a broken system.

Sign in to follow this