Mr_Odwin

Invincible Comic

invincible_ultcol_v4_hc.jpg

Thanks for your order, Mr James Pike

Delivery estimate: 29 July 2010 - 3 Aug 2010

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

1 "Invincible: The Ultimate Collection Volume 4"

Ryan Ottley; Hardcover; £15.38

I've just purchased Ultimate Collection Volume 4. Volume 5 will likely follow a few days after I finish this one.

aw man so many good stories in that volume. 4 and 5 are, I think, easily the best. The book just keeps getting better.

Im up to date with my Invincible trades. Id say its one of the most consistant comics I read, doesnt really have any dips in quality. Only other current book id say is on par would be the Ultimate Spider-Man run.

I've only read the first volume, but I'm willing/eager to grab the subsequent ones. What sort of price am I looking at forking out/is acceptible? I know a few different comic shops in brighton... Ok so I know one comic shop (Dave's Comics) and alternatively there's HMV...

HMV only sell the really "hip" stuff. KIlling Joke, Watchmen, and recently, to their credit, Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Amazon's your best bet, almost always cheaper than in store.

Probably around £2-25 in shops or a bit below £20 online (but watch the postage)

Tried Invincible after all the hype here. Bought volumes 1 & 2. Pretty much regret it.

Well that's you and I'm sorry.

Phew, there I was thinking it was someone else. Thanks for clearing that up.

Apology accepted.

Probably around £2-25 in shops or a bit below £20 online (but watch the postage)

As Paj advised, they're all around £16 on Amazon, and come with free delivery.

Volume 5 shits on everything.

Volume 4 is slightly better then 3, so amazing.

You should start to love it soon. :D

Incidentally TWD Volume 6 was just solicited this month so hopefully Invincible is a mere 4 or so months away (assuming they solicit it approx the same time ISH.....but as a counter point you could say they have a specific motivation to get TWD in shops in time for October) still Im hopeful nevertheless.

As Paj advised, they're all around £16 on Amazon, and come with free delivery.

Well in that case A Winner Is You

It's a wicked deal. Although, when I look at the three that I have and think £45, that's still kinda scary.

I was originally gonna get the Ultimate collections but I never really like spending over a tenner for a comic collection, regardless of how much is in it (I know it sounds rediculous and I would have saved money getting the Ultimate ones) so I just got the single trades over time.

It arrived yesterday and it was like "er ... this is smaller than the other three." So that was uncool. Then I made my wife catch up with her paperwork and I read it all evening after the kids went to bed. Finished it, loved it.

I think what I like is that there are a load of stories/threads all being matured at the same time and then all of a sudden one will pop up as the focus, be dealt with and fade away again.

It arrived yesterday and it was like "er ... this is smaller than the other three." So that was uncool. Then I made my wife catch up with her paperwork and I read it all evening after the kids went to bed. Finished it, loved it.

I think what I like is that there are a load of stories/threads all being matured at the same time and then all of a sudden one will pop up as the focus, be dealt with and fade away again.

Ah yes, we should have mentioned, same amount of content but the paper is thinner.

Prepare for Volume 5. The best fucking thing ever.

I loved the first 3 hardback volumes, so essentially the first 39-ish issues. It was very fresh, unique and full of twists. It took what you expected to happen of a Superhero comic and pretty much turned it on its head at every conceivable opportunity. It was quite difficult to predict what would happen.

But personally I think it's gotten stale more recently. Whilst the action is constantly hurtling forward and ever increasing in sheer scale, everything else has become silly. One of the most amazing twists in a comic ever was completely ruined when a certain character has an inexplicable change of heart. Great characters are killed off, shit characters survive when they ought to die.

It's still a great comic tbh, but it doesn't have an ounce of the charm that once grabbed me in the first place.

I loved the first 3 hardback volumes, so essentially the first 39-ish issues. It was very fresh, unique and full of twists. It took what you expected to happen of a Superhero comic and pretty much turned it on its head at every conceivable opportunity. It was quite difficult to predict what would happen.

But personally I think it's gotten stale more recently. Whilst the action is constantly hurtling forward and ever increasing in sheer scale, everything else has become silly. One of the most amazing twists in a comic ever was completely ruined when a certain character has an inexplicable change of heart. Great characters are killed off, shit characters survive when they ought to die.

It's still a great comic tbh, but it doesn't have an ounce of the charm that once grabbed me in the first place.

Its gotten better since issue 40 ish, the art is better, the colouring is better and the writing is the same, but all the plot threads are coming to a head. It had the 50's which were pretty much all one shots, and then the 60's were absolutely amazing, with awesome figts, an...AMAZING fight, and now we're on the big one. You talking crazy.

Something kinda cool (for me) when reading it last night was that in one scene where Invincible is flying over his college campus someone below is reading "The Work and the Glory." I thought that was weird because it is a hardcore Mormon book (even more so than the Twilight series :heh:). A little bit of research later I learn that Ryan Ottley is a Mormon and there are a couple of references to this throughout the comics. (This book, car number plates, etc.)