NEurope
Murr

X-Men: First Class

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270798/

Now that Kevin Bacon has been confirmed as the villain in X-Men: First Class, speculation has begun as to what mutant the Baconator will play. Mister Sinister and Shadow King are names that have been thrown around online lately, but no official announcement has been disclosed. Forces of Geek, however, is claiming that he'll play supervillain Sebastian Shaw.

Sebastian Hiram Shaw is the leader of the Hellfire Club, a secret society of X-Men adversaries. He possesses the ability to absorb kinetic energy around him and turn it into brute strength. For more on Shaw check out IGN's list of the Top 100 Comic Book Villains of All Time, where he's ranked at #55.

Bacon as Shaw is still just a rumor, and hopefully we will hear an official announcement during Comic-Con this week. Confirmed cast members for the reboot are James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Alice Eve, Nicholas Hoult, Caleb Landry Jones and Lucas Till. X-Men: First Class will kickoff next year's summer blockbuster season on June 3, 2011.

Source - IGN.com

Edited by Mr_Odwin

Interesting. Sebastian Shaw is a quality badguy, too. The Hellfire Club are kind of like the secret societies conspiracy theorists love but run by mutants. If shaw is in, then so are some of the X-Men's best adversaries.

From The Playlist comes new information about X-Men: First Class' movie. The info comes from an old draft of the movie, surely written by Jamie Moss; we already know the script has been retooled several times, including a recent one by frequent Vaughn collaborator Jane Goldman.

The info are:

- Magneto (then known as Eric Lensherr, played by Michael Fassbender) and Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) travel around trying to save mutants. As more news about their existence leaks out, more goverment led operations are endangering mutants' lives.

- Like the comics, they go and build a school for mutants.

- There is a love triangle between Eric, Charles and Emma Frost (played by Alice Eve). Our source didn't want to say too much, but we presume this is one of the factors that tears Charles and Eric apart.

- One of their rifts is apparently also because of their differing ways on how to train and teach their students.

- The script features Cyclops (there's been some speculation out there that some key mutants may be missing in certain drafts).

- We see the transformation of Hank McCoy, how he goes from the regular Beast (Nicholas Hoult) to the blue furry one played by Kelsey Grammer in "X-Men: The Last Stand."

- Apparently some shooting has already taken place, but it might just be test footage.

The film also stars Kevin Bacon as the film's main villain, Jennifer Lawrence ("Winter's Bone") as Mystique, Lucas Till as Havoc and Caleb Landry Jones (NBC's "Friday Night Lights") as Banshee. There have been reports that some of the casting details may have been purposeful disinformation, we'll see, but it is interesting that names like Cyclops, Angel, Ice-Man and Jean Grey haven't been announced yet.

Source - Comicbookmovie.com

How is it interesting that Iceman hasn't been announced yet? Would he have even been born yet? He should and won't have any part in the film. What a moronic article writer.

Wait...I thought this film was going to be about the actual first class of X-Men? Not the zany adventures of Charles and Eric.

How strange.

Wait...I thought this film was going to be about the actual first class of X-Men? Not the zany adventures of Charles and Eric.

How strange.

Yeah I assumed it'd be Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Marvel Girl and Iceman.

Well the Origins and First Class movies are still in continuity with the X-Men movies weve already had so Iceman wouldnt be in it anyway

Are they? I thought they were being classed as a 'reboot'.

Hence the excitement over Cyclops now being given a second chance!

Oh god, I thought they were the reboot. Fuck this shiiiiiiiit.

And nice going having continuity issues already with Emma Frost. I'm sure they'll explain that away as "That wasn't Emma Frost (in Wolverine)! See, she's Silver Fox's sister in that!".

UGH UGH.

This franchise is dead. It should have ended with a Singer-directed, James Marsden-featuring X-Men 3.

I thought they were in continuity but maybe not. Although as the Origins ones are its gonna be confusing having two x-men timelines going on at the same time.

What is it lately with films being "rebooted" or remade. Leave them alone. I hope this film is still in continuity with the X-Men movies, would hate a reboot and a new timeline. Does my nut in.

I would also love more Gambit! Although I think that's unlikely.

Some things NEED a reboot, though. Sadly Fox want to milk this sagging tit for all it's worth, which produces crap like Wolverine Origins, before Marvel can get the rights back and make it themselves (like they have with all the other recent and upcoming Marvel films).

I personally didn't think the wolverine one was THAT bad. I actually quite enjoyed it.

Ok, well I felt it was a whole load of nothing. Just various reasons to meet characters fans wanted in the other X-Men films (and some they didnt) for a few minutes then move on to the silly finale. It was completely unnecessary and kinda answered nothing. At least X-men 3 tried and failed/had potential, Wolverine was a fail from the get-go.

The X-Men franchise is being dragged down in the mud compared to the top-quality superhero films being made elsewhere. Sure it jump-started the superhero movie revolution in 2000, but it needs to DIE.

I love X-Men too much to watch more rubbish being churned out.

What is it lately with films being "rebooted" or remade. Leave them alone. I hope this film is still in continuity with the X-Men movies, would hate a reboot and a new timeline. Does my nut in.

It's just that they keep ruining the films with shite, so reboots are needed. Cyclops was handled so badly, considering he is the core X-Men member - the one you need to get right for the whole thing to feel right; and then he died off-screen!?! Just really infuriatingly bad.

Don't even get me started on Wolverine origin. Why fuck up the majority of the characters' origins by including shit? Why include Emma Frost's sister, but pointlessly NOT make her like she's portrayed in the comics (ie. a good character)?

They should do a reboot, based on:

astonishing-x-men-1-100k.jpg

or

x-menvol1_19662.jpg

or even:

140_UNCANNY_X_MEN__FIRST_CLASS_1.jpg

Or they should just cut to the chase and do a really well done feature length animated film (of Shrek/Pixar visual quality).

Ok ok, I don't mind a reboot as long as Gambit is a main character and he has a flirty relationship with Rogue throughout. :)

Gambit reminds me of awful. There's a reason he's kinda faded into the background/become an annoying semi-evil schizophrenic in the comics. He's a reminder of the 90's at their worst. He's one of the least essential famous X-man and Rogue is enough southern snark on any team. In Ultimate X-Men they even killed him off and gave her his powers!

But then maybe I just hate him. / Prefer Rogue, and how she's become a better character without his baggage.

They could just base a new film on Ultimate X-Men...Millar's stuff is very "real world" anyway, and the first arc could make a great film.

515PIXYnu5L._SS400_.jpg

They killed him off in the comic! bah!

When I was a youngling and watched the cartoon, Gambit was by far my favourite character. Don't know why, he just was!

I was so annoyed that he wasn't in any of the films and perhaps that's why I liked Wolverine origins as he was in it, Although I was slightly disappointed in his character.

I used to like Gambit, and read alot of him in Wolverine & Gambit, but after about half a year, realised he's very annoying.

Ultimate X-Men wins.

Ok ok, I don't mind a reboot as long as Gambit is a main character and he has a flirty relationship with Rogue throughout. :)
When I was a youngling and watched the cartoon, Gambit was by far my favourite character. Don't know why, he just was!
Yeah same!

Not sure why but I always used to like him (and Cyclops) the most and the relationship with Rogue.

But then yeah, that's approaching it from when I used to watch some of the cartoon, and having not read the comics I imagine they all have their different take.

Well the attraction thing was prominent in the comics throughout the 90's, as in the cartoon, but obviously very little coming of it. Then the writers revealed Gambit's big secret; he (without understanding what would happen) helped organise and run the team that masacred loads of mutants in the sewers many years before. Rogue dumped him to die in Antarctica. (Woo!)

He came back eventually, vaguely forgiven, and slowly did less and less of worth. He then became Apocalypse's horseman, Death. He obviously came through that, but ASAIK, he keeps having relapses into this Death persona. All in all, no one really knows what to do with him.

If you were directing a rebooted X-Men film, which characters would you include?

Honestly, I don't even know. Past Cyclops and Jean Grey (which feel essential), I'm so lost.

I'd use Cyclops and Jean too, but then try and let the story determine who's included. Why I'd like to see Ultimate X-Men be the basis , story-wise, of an X-Men film, is that they get Wolverine into the team without undue fuss, and without it seeming silly. I might use that team actually. (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Storm and Colossus - then Iceman and Wolverine)

Colossus feels replaceable, though he was always written well in Ultimate. Maybe Beast then, he adds so little. But that team covers the holy quartet of Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Wolverine, as well as some others.