NEurope
Raining_again

What do you do for a living?

Just graduated my STX, which is a secondary education in Denmark. I'll be taking a gap year or two in which I've got work as a substitute teacher. Afterwards I plan to go to university and study classical philology, and after that I'll most likely supply with English or philosophy or another subject. My dream is to become a teacher, possibly part time researcher.

Junior Database Administrator for Brightside Insurance Services and on a temporary basis i'm also the Dialer Manager for 3 Outbound call teams in our Quota Marketing Call Centre.

i like the DBA Role... but hate the Dialer Manager role... well.. i wouldnt mind it if i were paid for the additional responsability of baby sitting 3 teams and managing their data for calling. But i'm not... so i'm cranky.

http://www.brightsidegroup.co.uk/

I work with the psychiatrically unwell as a healthcare assistant. On an unrelated facet, I have a BSc in Psychology that isn't really getting me anywhere. I'd like to try my hand in some stats and research with what I've learnt in my degree, whether psych related or not.

I'm not very politically correct when I talk about the job I do, or many things, so forgive me if I offend. I do my job well though despite my gripes, as I think personal care is a very important thing to be taken seriously and I try to keep the patients/clients/service users as happy as I can within my remit, and sometimes beyond it.

I work on what they call the 'bank', only it's a 'bank' for nurses and not for money, and so I cover shifts as and when needed without being contracted to any hours, so I can take work or leave it as I see fit, the only potential downside being that nobody is obliged to provide me with shifts.

I applied for a permanent job with criminals/in forensic, which I have never done before. I have an interview next monday.

I can work anywhere with Oxeleas/NHS psychiatric healthcare for most of the southeast(bexley bromley greenwich boroughs) landan. I basically choose to work in two places only. One is right next to my house. I started working there occasionally towards the end of last year. It is psych rehab.

The other is about 20-30minutes away on a bus, and where I've mainly worked(read as one shift a week or so) for the last 4 years. My mum works on that ward too. It is acute inpatients, and a bit crazy at times.

A man who works at the former place used to work on the same unit, until a patient bit his ear off. I don't think that was very fun for him. I guess I like my job, but I also hate it.

This post was long.

I'm a statistician, which is great to tell people because most look at you with a look of "er ... whut?"

I did a maths degree and then a masters in statistics.

The company I work for collect data on doctors and patients with specific diseases (so we have stuff like an arthritis area, a diabetes area, a respiratory area, etc). Drug companies pay us to examine the market, look for areas of improvement, why doctors prescribe treatments over others, unmet needs, market segmentations, justifying costs of new treatments, etc.

Each piece of work is different and it gives me a mental challenge so I enjoy it.

I could get better pay elsewhere but I have good friends here, the location is great, the work is good, the atmosphere is very pleasant, and I get to ride my bike to work.

I'm currently a student (which doesn't so much class as a job) doing a biology research masters. Although I do work part time in a bakery on Sundays, which I finish in 3 weeks. :yay:

From September I'll be a full-time paid scientist at UCL in London (with time in New Zealand and America) doing a 4-year PhD. Which may kill me but is incredibly exciting either way.

So many master degrees here..!

I'm a games design student at sheffield hallam, in a years time I'll be working full time, hopefully with a degree under my belt.

Well, now I do nothing! Summer holidays and all that. By September, returning to school where I'll be doing my Leaving Cert...*shudders*

I also have no clue what to do when I'm done. I have a love of art, music, and french. How to make an actual job that pays with those, I'm not sure.

Maybe sing in French while dressed in some wacko arty clothes that I designed or something :/

I'm a chambermaid in a 4 star hotel, and have no irons in the fire. I often vaguely think about where i could go from here, but i never act on it because there are a couple of things i really love about the job:

*All the exercise i'd ever need. Never do i have to worry that i'm not doing enough exercise, or do exercise in my free time. Work takes care of it all, and if i made more effort to eat better i could quite easily be in perfect physical condition. Woo. Not sure i could adapt now to sitting at a desk all day.

* No boss looking over my shoulder. Or even on the same floor of the building as me, actually.

* On a more personal note, one of my workmates is a very good friend but i know we'd drift apart if i left. I know i shouldn't stay in a job just because of one person, but i can't help feeling that way. I'd miss our giggling at work. I don't have any other friends i giggle with like that.

But the pay is rubbish, and i can't even afford a private let on what i earn. Unless i did the housemate thing, which i'd rather not. I really just want a place of my own.

I'm a designer at Dorling Kindersley. I'm currently doing the jackets for two kids encyclopedias. The major upside is that I get free Penguin books. Score. And I work on the Strand, next to Covent Garden, double score.

My favourite job was working at Square as an localisation tester. Not for the God awful games, because the people were good banter.

I've been lucky with these two awesome jobs. I'm also a student about to enter my final year.

Self employed greengrocer. Great in the summer, horrific in the winter.

I am a bartender! I've worked in my local pub since I was 16, it's decent pay and all the staff are great, so it's quite enjoyable.

Other than that, I'm finished with sixth form, going on to Leeds Uni in September to do Broadcast Journalism.

At the mo, enjoying summer holidays. Other than that, i'm doing a degree in Psychology- just went through to the second year (yay!!). Up until then... worked for a company on behalf of the FCO that assisted british envoys and diplomats across the globe (medical assistance, security, etc.)

It's wonderful to enjoy the good student life again but... boy, do i miss my paycheck at the end of the month!!

ahhh how i miss the summer! The good old days when school was out for 2 whole months. Awesome. :bouncy:

I'm lucky to get a flippin day in my office... We're critically short staffed at the mo and i'm being relied on AGAIN >_> I havent had a day off since April.. :angry:

edit:

I'm a statistician, which is great to tell people because most look at you with a look of "er ... whut?"

The company I work for collect data on doctors and patients with specific diseases (so we have stuff like an arthritis area, a diabetes area, a respiratory area, etc). Drug companies pay us to examine the market, look for areas of improvement, why doctors prescribe treatments over others, unmet needs, market segmentations, justifying costs of new treatments, etc.

Each piece of work is different and it gives me a mental challenge so I enjoy it.

I could get better pay elsewhere but I have good friends here, the location is great, the work is good, the atmosphere is very pleasant, and I get to ride my bike to work.

I'd love to do that kind of job, sounds really interesting!

I hate the summer when I'm stuck at work. We get the really stuffy kind of heat and we don't get to see the sun (due to having no windows).

I hate the summer when I'm stuck at work. We get the really stuffy kind of heat and we don't get to see the sun (due to having no windows).

We have aircon at work but its not great for allergies/hayfever.. Or if you have to sit under it freezing YOUR FREAKIN ASS OFF while people complain that they are too warm and you aren't allowed to turn it off.

Argh!!! :angry:

At the moment I'm a 'Claims Support Officer' (basically admin work) for Allianz insurance in Bristol. I say at the moment because at the end of next I will have no job :cry:

My temp contract runs out (was already extended an extra 6 weeks) and I'm not sure what's gonna happen!? I've applied for a couple of roles in the company and the job agency have put me forward for another job but dunno if any thing's gonna come from those!

Mobile Engineer for a Facilities Management Company. Basically doing a lot of travelling between Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield responding to air conditioning/heating/electrical plant break-downs in hospitals/hotels/sports centres etc... and trying to look as if I know what I'm doing.

I am a character artist in the games industry.

I have a degree and all that, but my university education didn't contribute to me getting a job whatsoever.

So yeah. Job is excellent. Continuously learning, life drawing every week, couldn't ask for a better job.

Does indeed sound quite interesting! For some freakish reason I'm really fascinated by stats, would love to get some research experience at some point! I've found it hard to find the jobs though, though admittedly I've been sticking to psychological fields in my lookings, I don't really know where else to look :/

Does indeed sound quite interesting! For some freakish reason I'm really fascinated by stats, would love to get some research experience at some point! I've found it hard to find the jobs though, though admittedly I've been sticking to psychological fields in my lookings, I don't really know where else to look :/

The field is almost irrelevant though - at my end it's all numbers. Directors/Execs come down to the stats department with a hypothesis and we look into it for them. I know little about disease areas, but that's not really what I need - I just need to know what variables I need and where to stick them in my analysis.

Like someone comes down to stats and says something like "for dementia patients is there a relationship between type of treatment and time from initial symptoms to diagnosis?" I say "Where can I find that info?". They'll tell me all I'll need is two things:

1. treatment type - several yes/no variables (one for each treatment available)

2. time from symptoms to diagnosis - a numerical variable

Then it's become just numbers and I run some correlations/regressions/whatever.

It can get more complicated than that and often the more interesting stuff is where the data manipulation is tricky. The end command is often boring.

Having said all that, I can't help but learn about some diseases as I work with them so often.

I have 2 part time jobs that I alternate between depending on whether I'm at uni or not. When I'm in Shetland I work in a sort of disgusting take-away from 9pm to 3am at weekends, and 9-5 during the weekdays, where the primary customers are drunks and minks. I come out verbally abused and smelling of grease. The pay is also terrible.

My job in Aberdeen is awesome! I work as a bartender in a Halloween/spooky themed pub! It can get pretty hectic, the pub is a 600 capacity building with 2 floors. The pay also isn't great, but the tips are.

I'm also doing a degree in Fashion, which is full time.

I work at GAME. It is great. Before that I worked at HMV. It was shit, but I've posted many times as to why. I'm glad it's over to be honest, the £2 an hour less is worth taking.

Yay me! If I don't screw it up I will be able to work for 2 months (8 hours a day) and get a total of about 3000€. Maybe even more. :bouncy:

After that I hope I'll be able to study biology or biochemistry.