NEurope
dwarf

Vow to watch a (TV) series.

I may check out The Last Train.

Also I did enjoy the first season of Survivors, need to pick up the second.

When I was gushing over American TV I was ignoring the billions of shows I hate I guess...

Things like Gossip Girl, 91209201, One Tree Hill, The other BILLION rich teen brat shows, Scrubs and other lifeless comedies like Big Bang Theory.

I may check out The Last Train.

YES. Too good. Although I havn't seen it in a hugely long time.

Not really sure/can't remember what I said I'd watch next. Never finished Sopranos. Need to catch up on Mad Men and Dollhouse (not sure if I'm bothered), though.

Just finished the first season of The Wire.

;wbr;lgjrvlrn.... No superlative does this show justice. This makes it hard to now follow up with my thoughts on it, but seriously, if I say something about an aspect, I'm saying it in a way that means it is out of every other show's league.

When it ended, I was thinking 'wow, I've watched one fifth of something that just can't be beaten'. I felt quite saddened. They could not have made it any better. I literally cannot watch anything after this show that is of a higher quality.

The acting is astounding, never did I question the actor behind a character, I was fully hooked into everyone's lives and personalities. The relationships between people as individuals and as groups is amazing. The script is fantastic, the way the whole thing is cut together is genius, there's never a dull moment, yet so much brilliance is packed into the 'non-important' scenes - but that's the thing, they are the most important things because it's what elevates the production beyond anything out there.

The fact that there's little actual action is testament to how gripping the plot is. You know there will be some around the corner, but you want to know every detail as to what's going on. There's enough subtlety to keep you on your toes but almost everything is really clear. More awesomeness comes in how the writers sprinkle in a few tidbits in one episode that make more sense or come to fruition later down the line.

You won't have forgotten the original piece of information either because you're a greedy motherfucking voyeur and you can't help but want more, and grin at how everything is so perfect and how everything intertwines and...just makes sense. Each end to a mini chapter, in which an uncertain event or difficulty rears its head, feels as though it is wrapped up in a way that improves upon the ideal vision you had in your head for it. There is relief when the people you're rooting for manage to cotton onto something, and there is surprise when you realise some characters are better than you first imagined.

This makes the flipside, i.e. a downturn in events, far more hard-hitting. It's why you don't ever want The Wire to end, because it's just too damn involving.

--

Moving away from review mode (slightly), just wondered if people would like to share their favourite moments or characters from Season 1? I won't spoil anything, even if minor, for those who I've hopefully convinced to get off their sorry ass and watch the best TV they'll ever come across.

The thing is, there's so many incredible characters, you feel like they all need a mention.

The scene where McNulty is drinking in his car and sees some kids smashing up a car at night is just hilarious. His face and laughter after he falls over, completely wasted, as he glances at his police badge - fucking brilliant.

Also, when he and Bunk are investigating the scene of a gun crime, and the only word they use is 'fuck', truly awesome.

My favourite characters have to be the the pair of amateur police goons - Carver and Herc - the interplay between them is genius, some of the funniest dialogue evar. Their general banter, mockery, brotherly love, stupidity > brilliant, yet their overall charm is what makes them so winful.

Ahhhh Wire, you. You feel like too much a part of my life.

Edited by dwarf

Haaha I saw your first post on The Wire and I knew that was coming. Glad you like it- everyone does, really.

Personally, I've finally gotten around to Six Feet Under. More HBO goodness and very much in the spirit of what makes The Wire great- slow, thoughtful plotting, dense detail, naturalism and depth over shock and action. It's probably the strongest piece of character fiction I've ever seen, in fact. It's brave and occasionally controversial too, with a fantastic performance from Michael C Hall as David, a gay and initially closeted funeral director. His role is, I think, responsible for several leaps forward in the realistic portrayal of gay men on TV.

It's basically brilliant. everyone needs to watch it.

Just finished the first season of The Wire.

;wbr;lgjrvlrn.... No superlative does this show justice. This makes it hard to now follow up with my thoughts on it, but seriously, if I say something about an aspect, I'm saying it in a way that means it is out of every other show's league.

When it ended, I was thinking 'wow, I've watched one fifth of something that just can't be beaten'. I felt quite saddened. They could not have made it any better. I literally cannot watch anything after this show that is of a higher quality.

The acting is astounding, never did I question the actor behind a character, I was fully hooked into everyone's lives and personalities. The relationships between people as individuals and as groups is amazing. The script is fantastic, the way the whole thing is cut together is genius, there's never a dull moment, yet so much brilliance is packed into the 'non-important' scenes - but that's the thing, they are the most important things because it's what elevates the production beyond anything out there.

The fact that there's little actual action is testament to how gripping the plot is. You know there will be some around the corner, but you want to know every detail as to what's going on. There's enough subtlety to keep you on your toes but almost everything is really clear. More awesomeness comes in how the writers sprinkle in a few tidbits in one episode that make more sense or come to fruition later down the line.

You won't have forgotten the original piece of information either because you're a greedy motherfucking voyeur and you can't help but want more, and grin at how everything is so perfect and how everything intertwines and...just makes sense. Each end to a mini chapter, in which an uncertain event or difficulty rears its head, feels as though it is wrapped up in a way that improves upon the ideal vision you had in your head for it. There is relief when the people you're rooting for manage to cotton onto something, and there is surprise when you realise some characters are better than you first imagined.

This makes the flipside, i.e. a downturn in events, far more hard-hitting. It's why you don't ever want The Wire to end, because it's just too damn involving.

--

Moving away from review mode (slightly), just wondered if people would like to share their favourite moments or characters from Season 1? I won't spoil anything, even if minor, for those who I've hopefully convinced to get off their sorry ass and watch the best TV they'll ever come across.

The thing is, there's so many incredible characters, you feel like they all need a mention.

The scene where McNulty is drinking in his car and sees some kids smashing up a car at night is just hilarious. His face and laughter after he falls over, completely wasted, as he glances at his police badge - fucking brilliant.

Also, when he and Bunk are investigating the scene of a gun crime, and the only word they use is 'fuck', truly awesome.

My favourite characters have to be the the pair of amateur police goons - Carver and Herc - the interplay between them is genius, some of the funniest dialogue evar. Their general banter, mockery, brotherly love, stupidity > brilliant, yet their overall charm is what makes them so winful.

Ahhhh Wire, you. You feel like too much a part of my life.

Wow for someone is usually such a dick and does nothing but talk total and utter shite ( :P ) on here you just convinced me that I have to watch The Wire and have it put off way to lonng! Right when I'm done working my way through the whole of Seinfeld (a series everyone should watch) I will pick it up.

I vow to watch Sherlock... shouldn't be hard seeing as the first and second ep have already been shown and the third is the last. :p

Seriously though it's one of the best things I've seen on tv in a while, even if it's short.

LOST is the only series I suppose I could catch up on, I only watched series 1 & 2.

Smallville, I'm right back into watching it, (majorly zoned out of it during the middle series), but it's been great from 7 onwards.

And for those who haven't watched Prison Break... WATCH IT!!!

PB Series 1 is probably my favourite TV series EVER... it's absolutely fantastic!!

I enjoyed Series 2, Series 3 is ok, and 4 (whilst it has some down points)... has some of the best episode from across the whole series... and the Finale and 'Movie' is brilliant!

On this subject I just ordered all five series of Six Feet Under. I've only ever seen series 1 (and 3 quite some time ago) so I'm looking forward to it muchly. It's part of a trilogy of TV series that absolutely blow me away, any of which can be my favourites depending on my mood:

mad-men.jpg

wire.jpg

Six-Feet-Under-six-feet-under-111581_506_316.jpg

Also worth an honourable mention, for quite different reasons:

30-rock-2.jpg

Edited by ipaul

The Wire is also on my list of shows to watch, I've been keeping an eye on the prices of the complete boxset and will likely be buying it any day now.

Other than that, I've heard good things about Entourage and I have Band of Brothers sitting beside my TV just begging to be watched. I bought it after I watched and loved the Pacific, so I'll definitely watch it over the next few weeks.

I watched a few episode of The Wire and was thoroughly bored by it... I know you're supposed to give it a chance to get going or something, but seriously... I just can't see myself wanting to! From the episodes I watched I didn't find anything interesting in it, be it characters or story.

I watched a few episode of The Wire and was thoroughly bored by it... I know you're supposed to give it a chance to get going or something, but seriously... I just can't see myself wanting to! From the episodes I watched I didn't find anything interesting in it, be it characters or story.

Hahaha! Possibly the best/funniest post I've ever read. Retro you know how to make a man laugh!

It's just incredibly dense.

I need to finish series 1. I stopped watching it because it was so intensive, but it's definitely astounding stuff.

Very bad for tv. I recently started watching some classic series again like quantum leap and star trek: deep space nine

I've been such a bad T.V. watcher the last few months :S I tend to just watch good movies instead, either at home or cinema (Go Toy Story!!)

I've just been totally un-interested and found better things to do or I just can't be bothered to get into a series.

Lately, I've been watching The Simpsons every now and then if that counts? :p

I wouldn't mind getting into one of these series' which do seem quite good.

Not watched as much TV as I used to but my latest love is a little American show called Everwood. It ran for 4 seasons (02-06) on The WB and I've genuinely not seen anything like it since. I imported the first season from the US a few years back but they've only recently released the second and third seasons, so I've watched them back to back and am now just waiting for the fourth. I love it.

Edited by Jon

Ok so making my vow here...to finish watching the most recent series of Doctor Who. Made it up to Episode 8 and then stopped! So gonna finish it off...

Also watched the first Sherlock and loved it! Was amazing! Very modern yet still kept enough to elude to its source material. Great to see Martin Freeman in a decent role as well!

I always find it hard to get into new tv shows. I rarely catch them on tv, cos i have to be in bed early for work. And so that'd mean taking a gamble on buying a boxset, and i don't have the money to constantly be doing that.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the complete X Files someday though.

OK so series 2 of the Wire has been amazing so far, 2/3 in.

But,

Why the fuck does DiAngelo have to die? That's just fucked up, I'm seriously pissed off by the writers for doing that. I was looking forward to seeing how he'd develop but no.

I know it's hard hitting but I'm pissed off at it, genuinely. I felt sad as if the years he'd spent on the planet, toiling with life, getting fucked by his superiours, just wasted before he could turn good. I wanted to see D be a good man but no.

Argh whyyy!!!!???? NO.

NO NO NO.

I liked that kid too much :/

I'm all for the odd sad moment and killing a main character or what not, but this doesn't fit with me. To just do that and it be over, with nothing more of him to see, it's quite gutting. He was one of the more interesting people in the show.

Late edit to show how tense I was -

As the guy starts strangling him, I actually kept repeating aloud 'go on D, kick his ass, kick his ass!' 'you're strong now'. He didn't pull through. Losetube!

Edited by dwarf

Lately, I've been watching The Simpsons every now and then if that counts? :p

This definitely counts. :grin:

I do this all the time. The Simpsons never gets old, in fact I spent most of today watching good Lisa based episodes such as Summer of 4ft 2. Great episode.

Lisa is a whiny little bitch. I always feel awkward when watching her episodes because Matt Groaner strives for this moral real-ness and it comes across as cringey and weird, and something I don't want from a cartoon comedy.

It got to a point when shocking twists weren't all that shocking and plot lines seemed pale.

You should all be watching Boston Legal. It is quite literally the greatest show ever made. This I command!