NEurope
Happenstance

The Walking Dead

One of the Whisperers, a living man, is getting a bullet in the head. Thinking back, I can't remember if a single issue has shown an actual death on the cover itself. So, it's probably right. It's not suggesting Andrea will die, even though I think she will.

Ah, didn't see that at all. The wiki only showed the top half of the cover!

I watched it the day after the American reveal, on the UK release day on Fox. I managed to go all that time with no spoilers then an HOUR before I watched it, as I was scrolling Twitter, an old account I follow called 'WiiWare Wave' of all places was just like 'can't believe abe AND Glenn died'... Man.

Saying that, I kinda guessed it would be those two anyway, so whatever. Anyway, the episode itself was so full on and traumatising that I almost can't praise it. The acting was great and it was really dramatic but I think the show might be a bit much for me now :p Glenn's eye popping last few words were awful to watch, man.

Had a friend over when watching this episode and they'd never seen the show before... What a place for them to start :p I didn't mind the new setting but it all felt really cheap to me. The Tiger looked off, maybe it was the lighting or something, and the acting from the new charact Rs and the new setting itself just felt so weird. It was like I'd acidentally tuned into some teenage apocalypse drama on Channel 5 featuring Carol from the Walking Dead. I don't read the graphic novels mind, so maybe I'm missing something.

The one redeeming part for me was when that guy came clean to Carol about being a bullshitter. I thought 'great, another storyline featuring a group of people with some crazy leader' so it was a relief to find out he was self aware and knew the stuff he was doing and the way he was acting was crazy and stupid.

I have a good few episodes lined up now but I'm not that fussed about watching them any time soon. I might just leave it for a rainy day and binge as I'm a bit burnt out on it at the moment.

They've not done a great job thus far in making the Whisperers look a major threat.

Sure, we had the Rosita/Ezekiel etc deaths a year or so ago, but ever since then, even when Hilltop was under attack and burning to the ground, we've seen very few deaths from the settlements. The last major death was Gabriel, which was hardly a major loss. Beta looked really weak vs Negan and it seems their main method of attack is to blend in with the walkers with no decent tactics to speak of.

The remaining Saviours, lead by Sherry seem to be plotting against Rick, which could be interesting but we've seen it before with the Alexandria residents. Though maybe having the wildcard of which side Negan will choose will add a little spice. This storyline has been pretty boring, I really hope they thin out the cast massively soon, throwing in some major character deaths like they used to.

What I'd really like to see is some sort of government has survived in another part of the country (maybe the Stephanie/Ohio side story) where they are organised, with military and are trying to annex the rest of the world to reform civilisation as it once was. They are effectively destroying the zombies and clash with Rick's group by trying to change their way of life, not necessarily by using violence at first either.

Edited by Dog-amoto

They've not done a great job thus far in making the Whisperers look a major threat.

I think the major threat is coming after the war.

TWD162_Cover.jpg

The-Walking-Dead-162-Preview-800.jpg

TWD165-Cover.jpg

Is that Negan with a damaged eye?? Is that Carl standing to his right, our left?? This is the threat that's coming, looking good.

TWD166-Cover.png

Plus two issues coming in Feb., and then a new one in March, so 3 in quick succession. Feb also sees the return of Season 7. Good walker month coming.

Some speculation it's from Eugene's knife and not from you know what, but I think it's the latter

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

My Whisperer War volume arrived yesterday. Looking forward to sitting down to read it.

What do people make of the TV show atm? I still think that there are too many episodes and it's killing the pace of the show.

What do people make of the TV show atm? I still think that there are too many episodes and it's killing the pace of the show.

I stopped watching. Characters are bland and as you said too many episodes.

My Whisperer War volume arrived yesterday. Looking forward to sitting down to read it.

I'm still watching it, it's following the comics to a high degree. There's too much filler (like you say too many episodes), e.g. that new group, the lady in charge has a weird haircut, and 3 years of a zombie apocalypse has made them forget how to speak English properly???? There's no tension anymore, Rick taking on the Gladiatorial walker was just ridiculous, he made so much hard work out of it, and that always happens to apparently raise tension, but only ever makes me frustrated at characters ineptness.

Despite all this Negan and the overall thread of the story are keeping me coming back for more. (Eugene is awesome). I'm enjoying it in a kind of Saturday morning TV show way, but it should be so much more than that.

Gutted. Actually shed a tear. Such a big death that they didn't do a Letter Hacks and in its place was a eulogy to Andrea from Robert Kirkman.

Hopefully this death will upset the status quo a bit, but it seems like it'll just be business as usual from what Rick said at the end.

So, only three characters remain from the first volume now.

I was on the verge of welling up as well, and can't wait to see where Kirkman takes this.

Man, Dwight looked mighty pissed at Rick over Sherry's end.

Spoiler

Good issue. Worried that there are potentially 50,000 new characters though. Of course, there won’t be but it’s already hard to keep track.

The closing scene with Michonne was fantastic.

Spoiler

Surprised nobody has talked about this yet. Killing off such a major character and one who has so much more to do in the comics...

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Dog-amoto said:
  175 (Reveal hidden contents)

Good issue. Worried that there are potentially 50,000 new characters though. Of course, there won’t be but it’s already hard to keep track.

The closing scene with Michonne was fantastic.

S8 (Reveal hidden contents)

Surprised nobody has talked about this yet. Killing off such a major character and one who has so much more to do in the comics...

I've not read the latest issues just yet. I got up to Volume 26 and didn't keep up. So, I re-read everything from A New Beginning and am about to read Volume 26,27 and 28 now.

Spoiler

I'm so fucking annoyed from a creative point of view with the decision to kill off Carl. Fucking retarded. He's HEAVILY involved in the New Beginning arc and is virtually on every page. It just makes no sense to waste all of that character development and plot potential.

It wouldn't annoy me so much if the actual "death" wasn't so weak. The TV show picks and chooses when it decides that walkers are dangerous. The fact that the "bite" itself wasn't seen on-screen, wasn't really alluded to and was just a random moment in an episode or two before the reveal is just...pathetic, tbh. It's insulting to the fanbase. The fact that it's also ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER (midseason, too) is unforgiveable, imo.

TV series never really got over Season 6. The Glenn dumpster scene and Negan fake-out has damaged the show. As has the piss-poor writing since. Nobody talks like they are real anymore. 

On 10/03/2017 at 8:55 PM, londragon said:

I'm still watching it, it's following the comics to a high degree. There's too much filler (like you say too many episodes), e.g. that new group, the lady in charge has a weird haircut, and 3 years of a zombie apocalypse has made them forget how to speak English properly???? There's no tension anymore, Rick taking on the Gladiatorial walker was just ridiculous, he made so much hard work out of it, and that always happens to apparently raise tension, but only ever makes me frustrated at characters ineptness.

Despite all this Negan and the overall thread of the story are keeping me coming back for more. (Eugene is awesome). I'm enjoying it in a kind of Saturday morning TV show way, but it should be so much more than that.

I'm a die-hard fan of the TV show, but I have to say that I am "over" Negan and the Saviours with their creepy, almost prescient ability to bounce back from everything.

And yeah, I thought Rick was supposed to be a badass, but he seems to have been de-powered these last two seasons.

• Like 1

I've decided to give Fear The Walking Dead another chance after hearing some good things about it recently. We watched season 1 and didn't make it onto season 2. S1 was ok but it didn't have/do enough to grip me. But, I enjoyed it much more the second time around and I also enjoyed what I saw of Season 2. We've since started Season 3 and I have to say that I'm enjoying this show currently a lot more than current season The Walking Dead. The characters just feel more real and the way that they talk and act towards each other just seems more like they're real people. Every character in the main series just seems to give some sort of cryptic "epic" monologue about how much they've lost or why "things are hard and intense maaaaaaan" and that sorta shit. Fear feels more like The Walking Dead used to be.

Spoiler

Man, that episode "Wrath" where we find out that Chris has been killed was just so, so good. Brutal, especially Travis' reaction. Loved it. Such great television, but I felt emotionally very bad for Travis and also couldn't help but feel sorry and also angry at Chris for being so naïve and stupid. It's been a while since the main show has done anything to make me feel like that. 

On 09/04/2018 at 3:54 AM, Fierce_LiNk said:

I've decided to give Fear The Walking Dead another chance after hearing some good things about it recently. We watched season 1 and didn't make it onto season 2. S1 was ok but it didn't have/do enough to grip me. But, I enjoyed it much more the second time around and I also enjoyed what I saw of Season 2. We've since started Season 3 and I have to say that I'm enjoying this show currently a lot more than current season The Walking Dead. The characters just feel more real and the way that they talk and act towards each other just seems more like they're real people. Every character in the main series just seems to give some sort of cryptic "epic" monologue about how much they've lost or why "things are hard and intense maaaaaaan" and that sorta shit. Fear feels more like The Walking Dead used to be.

Fear Season 2 Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Man, that episode "Wrath" where we find out that Chris has been killed was just so, so good. Brutal, especially Travis' reaction. Loved it. Such great television, but I felt emotionally very bad for Travis and also couldn't help but feel sorry and also angry at Chris for being so naïve and stupid. It's been a while since the main show has done anything to make me feel like that. 

I might give Fear The Walking Dead a go, but as you said, I wasn't gripped by Season 1 so it's a difficult sell.

9 hours ago, Iun said:

I'd recommend giving Season 1 a re-watch.

The advantage that I think Fear has is that it's not bound to anything. The characters don't have to act a certain way because there are no comic counterparts to base them off. The settings are different, the characters are unique and we get to see some different types of locations that wouldn't be possible in the main series.

I feel that the main show in season 8 (which was also apparent in season 6 part 2 and season 7) has a definite goal and ending point for that arc, which is the "end of the war". They've spent two and a half seasons fighting said war and there's always been one end-goal in sight. But, there has been so much filler along the way to pad out the show because they knew that the war would end in the finale of season 8. So, the pacing has been really off and there have been so many stupid moments and manufactured storylines over the past 2 seasons that it's killed a lot of the quality of the show.

With Fear, I just feel that the pacing has been pretty good, if not better than the main series. The characters talk as if they're actual human beings and the shit that they say and/or do matters. I also feel that the characters are consistent throughout. At the moment, I feel that it is becoming the stronger show. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I wasn’t too keen on that, obviously it followed what happened in the comics, so I didn’t have a problem with the way it went, but it didn’t have to beat us over the head repeatedly with the forgiveness and choosing life over killing everyone throughout the entire season. Even if you don’t read the comics, it was obvious how it would end. They will do the same time jump now for s9 most likely. Glad Negan is still alive as there’s still loads they can do with him rather than making him just another Governor.

But my main problem with the finale was the massively out of character reactions from Maggie, Daryl, and especially Jesus when they were conspiring against Rick. Maggie, I can understand will be pretty pissed off with Rick’s decision, but Daryl had just spared the man he hated most in Dwight, and Jesus had gone as far as to endanger his group by insisting they didn’t kill the Saviours and had been badgering Morgan not to kill in that very same episode...so why the sudden change??

2 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:
  S8 finale and comic spoilers (Hide contents)

I wasn’t too keen on that, obviously it followed what happened in the comics, so I didn’t have a problem with the way it went, but it didn’t have to beat us over the head repeatedly with the forgiveness and choosing life over killing everyone throughout the entire season. Even if you don’t read the comics, it was obvious how it would end. They will do the same time jump now for s9 most likely. Glad Negan is still alive as there’s still loads they can do with him rather than making him just another Governor.

But my main problem with the finale was the massively out of character reactions from Maggie, Daryl, and especially Jesus when they were conspiring against Rick. Maggie, I can understand will be pretty pissed off with Rick’s decision, but Daryl had just spared the man he hated most in Dwight, and Jesus had gone as far as to endanger his group by insisting they didn’t kill the Saviours and had been badgering Morgan not to kill in that very same episode...so why the sudden change??

My thoughts.

Spoiler

It was shit. This series has been shit. The last one was shit. The writing is shit, the decision making of the characters is shit, the direction is shit and the decision making of the people at the top is shit. It's shit.

So, Rick was forgiving and merciful in this episode. He was a murderer and a liar in the episode before when he and Morgan were out there killing Saviours after offering to help them. Dwight is the saviour who has helped the allies at every turn and has tried to bring Negan down from the inside, risking his life and eventually paying the price by being captured. How do Daryl and Rick repay him? They exile him. But what about those other murderous saviours? Oh, they can stay put. What? 

The Maggie/Jesus/Daryl conspiracy bit was utter drivel. Where did that come from? Jesus, the one who is so set on saving people? 

Also, if that was meant to be a Whisperer tease, it was crap. You couldn't see shit and now it looks like that Rick has declared a war on trees, because that's what it looked like.

Also also, just fuck Daryl. Why is he still here? How can people root for a character that does NOTHING? Where is the development for Jesus? Or Aaron? Or lots of other characters who need it? What meaningful storyline has Daryl been given that is useful? He is as useful to the story as Carol is, which is very little. They've even run out of ideas for Morgan who is now crazy again for some reason.

Basically, the show is this: Idea for Premier, idea for Mid-season finale, idea for Mid-season premier, idea for season finale. They plan for 4 episodes and everything else is filler to either get to or get from those episodes. It's such a transparent outline for the show and it's boring and dull.

Not sure I'll watch Season 9. If it is about the Whisperers, I don't trust them to do it justice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:
  S8 finale and comic spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Spoiler

Not just finale related but...A FUCKING HELICOPTER flew in the sky TWICE this season and nobody thought to bring that up again.

Why didn't Rick mention it to anyone? Why didn't Negan even ask about it? Why didn't Jadis tell anyone? This isn't small information, this is huuuuge. It's a big deal. Where was that helicopter going to take Jadis? Wtf?

It's a really bizarre plot point, like it was cgi-ed in afterwards and the actors didn't realise that it was there. Just...wtf. 

21 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:
  Also also also (Reveal hidden contents)

Not just finale related but...A FUCKING HELICOPTER flew in the sky TWICE this season and nobody thought to bring that up again.

Why didn't Rick mention it to anyone? Why didn't Negan even ask about it? Why didn't Jadis tell anyone? This isn't small information, this is huuuuge. It's a big deal. Where was that helicopter going to take Jadis? Wtf?

It's a really bizarre plot point, like it was cgi-ed in afterwards and the actors didn't realise that it was there. Just...wtf. 

Spoiler

What the hell was all that with Eugene about? Are we to believe that he ate that mac and cheese purely so he could vomit on Rosita in the off chance he was captured? So was that his plan all along, or did he just think about it after Gabriel made a dodgy bullet? So was it always his plan to be a triple agent as it were, as he had plenty of chances to escape back to Alexandria. Both him and Morgan had so many flips in personality, I no longer care about any of it. 

I get the feeling that the show runners just enjoy screwing with the comic readers in order to just be different.

2 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:
  Oh, and... (Hide contents)

What the hell was all that with Eugene about? Are we to believe that he ate that mac and cheese purely so he could vomit on Rosita in the off chance he was captured? So was that his plan all along, or did he just think about it after Gabriel made a dodgy bullet? So was it always his plan to be a triple agent as it were, as he had plenty of chances to escape back to Alexandria. Both him and Morgan had so many flips in personality, I no longer care about any of it. 

I get the feeling that the show runners just enjoy screwing with the comic readers in order to just be different.

Spoiler

The last bit is exactly how I think it is. They seem to get off on the whole "OH YOU THOUGHT THIS WOULD HAPPEN BUT IT DIDN'T...HA!" thing. Like with the dumpstergate situation. Very short term wins that actually affect the show negatively over a long period of time.

They've really ruined Morgan's character and, to an extent, they've done a similar thing with Carol. I assume that the writers think that they're very clever by making the characters more "complex" but actually it just makes the characters extremely inconsistent. Rick is murderous in one episode, and forgiving in the next. Carol wants to leave...for no apparent reason. Why is Morgan crazy again? It's just hard to follow and makes it difficult to empathise with them when the writing makes them seem too off-the-wall.

I'm annoyed because this really is one of the easiest arcs to transfer over to tv. There's tons of action, lots of drama, and the script is already there! They got the casting pretty much right with Negan, but they've messed up some of his characterisation and not letting him being able to swear has neutered the character a lot, imo. 

I feel that it's just been one major missed opportunity that can't be rectified. This really should have been the high point for the show, but now it's the lowest.