NEurope
Guy

Scott Pilgrim

scott-pilgrim.jpg

So... the sixth and conclusive volume of Bryan Lee O'Malley's masterpiece, Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour, is due out in the Americas tomorrow and hitting over here (apparently) on the 22nd, or tomorrow; I've yet to discover a firm release date for us tea drinkers. Anyone who has seen the Edgar Wright movie trailer and is interested in the film would do well to check out the comics the movie is based upon as they are absolutely awesome fun.

Blog_ScottPilgrim_Covers.jpg

Brief Outline:

The series is about 23-year-old Canadian Scott Pilgrim, a slacker, hero, and part-time bassist who is living in Toronto and plays bass guitar in the band "Sex Bob-Omb." He falls in love with American delivery girl Ramona V. Flowers, but must defeat her seven "evil exes" in order to date her.

The books are crammed full of gaming and pop-culture references, anime tinted artwork and some of the most surreal comedy I've come across in a while. There are currently five volumes with the sixth due shortly. Most bookstores sell these in the manga section.

Movie Trailer:

Personally I'm super excited about the final volume and forthcoming movie. Does anyone else share my enthusiasm? Raise your hands. RAISE THEM!

I need to start collecting all the books. I haven't read any of them.

The movie however, has me hooked just from trailers.

Have only read the first comic and I really liked it.

Regarding the film, Micheal Cera as Scott Pilgrim.... really?

Otherwise it looks awesome.

Cera is a great Scott. I couldn't see anyone else nailing it.

How odd, I bought the first book yesterday in anticipation for the film. Should be here in a couple of days. :D

Looking forward to this. My comics taste tends to veer towards dudes punching eachother through buildings but I'm quite interested in this series. I'll almost certainly see the film first though.

I'm so excited for it. I'm debating training it to the nearest waterstones tomorrow, but they'd probably not have it in yet. Anyway, i'm sure it's going to rock ultimate.

Related: Read Lost at Sea lately. Not as good.

I still need to read 4 and 5, I've got the American printings of 1, 2, 3 and 5 and don't want to ruin the set!

Can't wait for the movie as well

Cera is a great Scott. I couldn't see anyone else nailing it.

Really?

Cera has been playing the same role ever since Arrested Development so the image of him doing it again has stuck a bit in my mind.

I am only getting my impressions of Scott as a character from the first comic but none of it really pointed to Cera being the ideal pick.

From the trailers, it looks like Cera is doing a decent job of not playing himself. Dunno how close the Pilgrim he is though.

The one trailer I've seen for it got me excited, after getting over the fact that it wasn't Lazytown the movie. Should be good. Not going to be reading it any time soon if I'm honest. I'll definitely watch the film though.

At first I was like What is Michael Cera doing the same thing in now?

then it got awesome. :grin:

I think Cera is perfect for the role. I am very excited to see how he manages, but unfortunately the movie doesn't premiere here in Denmark before 14th October, which is a bit long to wait. I hadn't seen the trailer that was posted here but it looks like it is quite true to the books, which is definitely a good thing.

Does anyone know how many of the books they're cramming into the film? It looks like it might be one too many, I'd rather if they'd split it up in two films.

Anyway, just finished reading the sixth, gave me some good laughs and I think it concluded the story quite well. I might have to read them again, though, as some details might have gone over my head; they are a bit confusing at times, I think. Also, €8 for each book is a tad expensive.

The first book arrived today and I managed to get half way through it in under half an hour. But my god it's awesome. Don't think I'm gonna get all 6 read before the film comes out due to money issues, but I would love to :D

The first book arrived today and I managed to get half way through it in under half an hour. But my god it's awesome. Don't think I'm gonna get all 6 read before the film comes out due to money issues, but I would love to :D

Not like I would advokate such a thing, but all the books are easily findable via.. other methods.. which I'm using for the sixth whilst I wait for Waterstones to get some stock in!!

It's an odd one. With books I don't think I can bring myself to do it but have no problems when it comes to anything else. I'd rather buy 'em :D

Good lord, the response to Scott Pilgrim vs Comic Con on Twitter is immense. Lots of people have seen the movie and loved it. Very positive stuff. They screened it for free apparently, this is why I should have gone to this. Dammit.

I also want one of those Scott Pilgrim vs Comic Con shirts so bad, wow.

I think Cera is perfect for the role. I am very excited to see how he manages, but unfortunately the movie doesn't premiere here in Denmark before 14th October, which is a bit long to wait. I hadn't seen the trailer that was posted here but it looks like it is quite true to the books, which is definitely a good thing.

Does anyone know how many of the books they're cramming into the film? It looks like it might be one too many, I'd rather if they'd split it up in two films.

Anyway, just finished reading the sixth, gave me some good laughs and I think it concluded the story quite well. I might have to read them again, though, as some details might have gone over my head; they are a bit confusing at times, I think. Also, €8 for each book is a tad expensive.

The movie covers all 6 books, so the film may end differently to the books as O'Malley hadn't finished writing when they were filming

I'm fairly positive that O'Malley would have directly collaborated with the film crew what the ending would be.

By the way, I finished book 1 in what must have been an hour and it was awesome. I really reeeeally want to pick up the second book but I shouldn't be spending any money right now. But that £5 is super tempting..

^ Nah, I vaguely recall reading that the endings differ, despite O'Malley working closely with Edgar. I also vaguely recall one of them tweeting 'surprised how similarly our endings are' or something.

Also, do it, it gets better and better. 30 pages into the Sixth, making it last. Love it.

The ending can't be much different, anyway.

Well, this was the case with Kick-Ass as well, where I prefer the ending of the comic.

But I'm a bit sad that they push all six books into just one movie. It might feel rushed and lose the appeal and atmosphere.

I really, really like all the Zelda-references! And when a chapter in Vol 6 was called "A link to the past" I was very happy! That just made it so great for me. Also, the whole video games reference-thing, O'Malley seems to use works really well, at least for me.

I finished Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour a little while ago. Still digesting everything that happened, but I'm pretty sure I liked it. A lot. The comedy was present, the action abundant and the resolution I expected more or less unfolded with a few tasty surprises. The whole thing turned out to be a lot more intricate than I first assumed.

Great series. Can't wait to buy the collection and hopefully meet Bryan Lee O'Malley when he's down signing in London middle of next month.

What surprises me about Scott Pilgrim is how little I liked any of the characters. None of them were particularly likeable people, but they felt fairly real. Maybe that's what sold it.

Edited by Guy

Well the movie was pretty freakin awesome. Some of the best Choreography I've seen. Everyone go watch it.

And yeah, a ridiculous amount of old skool videogame refs. Gamesradar did a big thing of all of em, interesting stuff

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/scott-pilgrims-precious-little-videogame-references/a-20100811123011995002

Anyway yeah finished reading it the other day also. Wasn't massively thrilled by the second half, tailed off a bit, but the rest was great as ever. O'Malley's turned into quite the artist too, in some of the pages. Need to see the film!!

Should be seeing this tomorrow evening if fate doesn't fuck me over. I have my train booked, my free ticket to the early screening printed... all I'm waiting for now is something to go terribly wrong.

Anyone going to the SP signing at Forbidden Planet in London today? Looking forward to meeting Bryan Lee O'Malley.