NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

Just thought I'd let you know that I did indeed read it - I hear ya and you make a good point. People knowing each other on here doesn't annoy me by the way, striking up new friendships is always good! I guess I just want something impersonal overall but for there to somehow be some room for personal friendships etc. to develop. It's a catch 22. But I think the staff have approached this in the right way for the moment at least.

Anyway, I guess I'm just disappointed that the Wii Discussion/Retro Gaming boards in particular aren't more active, but making people post there won't make the discussion anymore lively though will it!

Of course, if you guys wanna make me happy and shut up whining, you could just view my N64 thread in the Private Trades board and sell me some stuff!

Well there's nothing wrong with that - real life issues are far more important than Nintendo. If you're not happy that more people care about general discussion than Nintendo then blame Nintendo's crappy shift to casual audiences; people who don't particularly care to sign up to Nintendo forums and stick around long.

Yeah we get it. You don't like Nintendo.

Sorry a little delayed in replying, so a few old points from a few pages back just to re-fresh.

I think we should have a entertainment boards with sub-boards of Manga & Comics, Music, Films & TV and make a new board called Consoles with Wii and Other Consoles topics merge together also rename DS/3DS board as Handhelds and move PSP topics from Other Consoles into that board.

Agree with this, this is what i mentioned on maybe page 2 of the thread with a link to another forum that has that format, the argument against it was that the forum i linked to was fucking huge (number of members wise)

If you were a new member, would you feel less intimidated?

I Dont know if i'm classed as new anymore, but i must say the old layout of a few uber huge threads didnt intimidate me at all, i'd pick up from a few of the last pages as to what was being discussed and contributed where i could.

I preferred that to the pages and pages of new threads that could be summed up in...

A - A section / Sub forum devoted to the numerous similar threads - EG as mentioned above with an entertaintment section broken down into Films/TVAnime/Music/BooksComics

B - A large thread devoted to each subject - EG The old Movie Thread, The old Music Thread.

but thats jus the opinion of a n00b, so what do i know right :p

Right. I see alot of old schoolers posting, and I don't know if I'm mistaken in my memory or what, so someone tell me if I'm right.

Wasn't it like this circa mid-late 2006 and continuing? I'm pretty sure there were tons more threads when I first joined. The only 'big' thread then was the MPOTD, and that was easily ignorable. Lots of other threads for lots of discussion. Stupid/Unneccessary/Dupe threads got locked/deleted etc as the mods did their job. It worked fine?

Pooki, I get where you're coming from. This IS a forum born out of a Nintendo based aim. I joined after having read the news pages forever, and as I could not contain my excitement for the Wii, I used to post a fair bit in Wii discussion and other bits of the gaming forums.

General Chit Chat however, was something that really got me, and I didn't expect when I joined the forums. It was nice because I got to see the 'general' side of people with whom I'd talk games and have heated debates in the Games forums etc. It was amazing too, cos it was just so friendly, and such a nice community. Two years later, 2008, the forumers of General had their first meetup and they've grown since, and I always find them totally awesome. I don't think I have a point, I just wanted to say that. I guess also if Gen Chit Chat hadn't been so nice, I'd not have stuck around forumwise.

I don't go in much of the Gaming forums anymore(and I fell off Gen Chit Chat, when I was first here I threw myself proper into the forums and was quite the eager beaver). Now though, I'm getting older and busier, less time for games, less time for forums. Less time in particular, for trawling big threads. Having a few pages with summary titles is much easier. Also I don't go in Gaming because tbh, nothing's quite as interesting as it used to be. When the Wii came out, it was revolutionary, now things have dried up a bit, but that's a dicussion for there, not here.

MPOTD got closed because mods thought it was sucking up every possible new thread. After the closure HWYD started which was similar but with a slight focus. The other topics also popped up. This was better as having 5 general threads was better than 1. Now the mods think that the general threads are preventing new threads from being made so they've closed them. We've already been here before.

People need to realise that this is experimental. They're trying to see how things work, find the optimum balance between general threads and individual threads. Just give it time. We'll get some general threads after a while, just need to see how things pan out first.

Yeah we get it. You don't like Nintendo.

I've nearly got all 242 stars on Galaxy 2. :/

It's not that I don't like Nintendo, it's that you can't blame forumers for not posting in Nintendo forums if they don't want to.

Rummy makes a good point. The whole joining for nintendo-related discussion and then taking part in general discussion is certainly a nice aspect of this forum which makes it worth returning to! I like to get to know the personal side of people on here I really do! Ask captain falcon or buttons or tellyn or rinha - I'm not anti-general chit chat!

My only real concern was that the nintendo side of the forum has more or less been abandoned apart from a few of us who won't budge. The discussions there aren't as lively anymore! And sheikah, despite being a real douchebag lately, is correct - you can't blame people for not wanting to post about nintendo if they don't wanna. But maybe we're missing out on new members in that regard because we don't have much to offer on the gaming side of things?

And there's some truly good discussions that do happen in general cc and if you look at my posting habits I've typically posted more in general than anywhere else. But new folk are drawn in because of nintendo and I reckon we're missing out on meeting new folk by letting that side of it down. At least with the removal of the bigger threads like hwyd where loads of people's posts go ignored, new folk can at least dive into a current affair topic or film related thread and actually have their post read and discussed without having to first learn what everyone's like by trawling through hordes of hwyd posts. Apologies for bad grammar etc. On my blackberry.

And sheikah, despite being a real douchebag lately

You know, not descending into insults because someone disagrees with you is a sign of maturity. Something you clearly don't show.

It's nothing to do with you disagreeing with me - loads of people have disagreed with me and you're singled out because you've been a right dick on this forum lately. Plus I agreed with you in my last post. Finally, I don't aspire to be mature, not my cup of tea.

So basically, a load of people disagree with you because you're talking garbage and to respond you directly insult someone. Good going, you have every right to call someone a dick.

Finally, I don't aspire to be mature, not my cup of tea.

Yeah they're much better fresh. Now cheese on the other hand...

Don't worry I'm leaving.

Rummy makes a good point. The whole joining for nintendo-related discussion and then taking part in general discussion is certainly a nice aspect of this forum which makes it worth returning to! I like to get to know the personal side of people on here I really do! Ask captain falcon or buttons or tellyn or rinha - I'm not anti-general chit chat!

My only real concern was that the nintendo side of the forum has more or less been abandoned apart from a few of us who won't budge. The discussions there aren't as lively anymore! And sheikah, despite being a real douchebag lately, is correct - you can't blame people for not wanting to post about nintendo if they don't wanna. But maybe we're missing out on new members in that regard because we don't have much to offer on the gaming side of things?

And there's some truly good discussions that do happen in general cc and if you look at my posting habits I've typically posted more in general than anywhere else. But new folk are drawn in because of nintendo and I reckon we're missing out on meeting new folk by letting that side of it down. At least with the removal of the bigger threads like hwyd where loads of people's posts go ignored, new folk can at least dive into a current affair topic or film related thread and actually have their post read and discussed without having to first learn what everyone's like by trawling through hordes of hwyd posts. Apologies for bad grammar etc. On my blackberry.

You know, not descending into insults because someone disagrees with you is a sign of maturity. Something you clearly don't show.

No need for that Pookiablo. Keep it clean.

EDIT:

And now there's more posted in the time I've been writing this. Lay off.

Pooki; at least half of this thread has been carried on by something that is, I think, a different matter -- the apparant downfall of the nintendo-focused parts of the forum. I do not think that a revamp of gen chit-chat really affects what goes on in there, and unless you can give some more specific examples of what's so sucky about it, I/we can't help amend/revive it.

Murr; yeah I saw that comment you made and made the response that I thought you'd've found alright -- the current state of affairs is not the be-all and end-all. We want you to give the new situation some time.

somebody else; I think it's a case of "the forum is never broken, and never fixed". I don't see any true harm in switching the way the gen chit-chat is policed every now and then when, as is pointed out, what goes around may just was well come back around, too.

Lulz.

right to get back on track: Just a reminder that this is an ongoing process so don't post those death threats just yet. There's a thread just like this one going on in Mod Towers, where the unwashed masses are not allowed, and where the enlightened few look down upon those less fortunate than themselves and laugh. Uncontrollably. Aside from that, though, we're also talking about the changes and what to do next. Stay tuned.

And if there's any ideas you have, feel free to post them here some more.

Lulz.

right to get back on track: Just a reminder that this is an ongoing process so don't post those death threats just yet. There's a thread just like this one going on in Mod Towers, where the unwashed masses are not allowed, and where the enlightened few look down upon those less fortunate than themselves and laugh. Uncontrollably. Aside from that, though, we're also talking about the changes and what to do next. Stay tuned.

And if there's any ideas you have, feel free to post them here some more.

And where you and Odwin just do whatever the fuck you want.

Where is that? Please tell me that's not photoshopped.

I'm pretty sure its a real place. I've never been to that place exactly, but I've seen streets like that when traveling to Vancouver. Looking at the buildings though, its probably in California.

And where you and Odwin just do whatever the fuck you want.

We're the true mavericks. Renegadality is why we were hired. And our boyish good looks.

We're the true mavericks. Renegadality is why we were hired. And our boyish good looks.

You were hired years ago for your boyish good looks. Why we keep you on now with your dishevelled old codger looks is questionable.

I think the lack of the 'Music' and 'Rate My...' threads is ridiculous. So much small conversation is now going to go unheard due to people feeling there's no point in creating a thread solely to start one. I got loads of little recommendations for music and film from these threads, and now that's going to be cut in half.

Actually annoying.

Your new Robyn thread is a perfect example of why the Music Thread is under experimentation. Anyone who cares about it will talk about it. Also! Because it wasn't one of a trillion videos on one page, I actually sat and listened to the songs you offered. Now that I know I do not like the music, I will Stay Away From Thread.

So in a sense, your post, now a thread, will get more 'recognition' then it did when it was part of The Music Thread.

In other words; deal.

Unless anyone actually has any actual input or constructive comments, can we stop posting in here just to say "don't like it". Substantiate your point.

Ta!

I'm going to offer the reverse, twisted, upside down. :)

I'm currently enjoying the overhaul, with many threads it feels more fun and alive and I'm actually staying on to see new posts, plus more of a discussion is going on in some threads. I'm also posting more for better or for worse. :p

At times it does feel inconvenient but that is probably because I'm not used to it and we all like to get stuck into old habits and everyone hates change.

As of late I and others perhaps got lazy, I'd come on post in about 3 threads and check about 5 and then comeback later and repeat.

wily.