NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

As much as I have no desire to try and answer every bloody reply here, given that I'm fighting a losing battle but...

My point was that all the traits you listed are what a community is. By definition it's an ingroup, I don't see that as a problem; a clique is just a group of friends seen from the outside.

Yes, they are. But sub-groups do exist within communities. Which is what my point was. If you want to apply the general definition to those as well then by all means, be my guest.

I don't view this place as exclusive. I've certainly never come across a more inclusive gaming forum — new posters aren't discriminated against, every other post isn't a meme, and the cast of regular posters is almost entirely different to the Cube-Europe days. No you can't walk in and instantly know everything about everyone, but when is that ever the case? We're all new at some point, every friend starts off a stranger. You get a feel for things quickly by taking part, or even just taking the time to lurk for a while before contributing.

This is fair enough as it's your opinion but not everyone thinks the same way as you do. I'm by no means suggesting it's not a valid viewpoint, but there's certainly another side to it.

I don't disagree that more could be done to bring the wider community together, but you do that by instigating things and encouraging people to do so, not by lopping bits off. If, as you suggested earlier, the General boards were banished from the forum that wouldn't encourage people in the other sections to get to know each other better, just take away a venue for those already familiar with one another. Rather than cutting off its nose to spite its face, the boards should be encouraging people to take part in the General sections as well as keeping up the game chat.

Surely simplifying the forum would make it more accessible? Yeah, it's more impersonal for us who come here on a regular basis but it could allow newer/less frequent members to join in more spontaneously. It's certainly something that should be discussed. And, although discussion would've been preferable before all this, I imagine it would've been shot down before it'd even been given some serious consideration.

Anyway, personally I don't take issue with the staff making some changes. I think a few of the forums could be consolidated, especially when paired with some light formatting rules — think along the lines of ReZ's icon request earlier — and getting people in good habits. In any case it's something that should be discussed, not just enacted by the staff because they're the staff; I'm not damning the experiment as it's labelled as such.

Well, it's their forum I guess, they can do what they want with it. They certainly do so when they're dishing out infractions to me for no reason so why stop now! I definitely agree about consolidating parts of the forum for a tidier experience!

Nolan; he was referring to the user called 'Jim'.

Yeah! So scrrrrrreeeeeeeeewwwwwww yoooooooouuuuuu, Princess!

I like this more, it pushes for more specific discussions and gives the forum far less "filler" to ignore.

Yeah! So scrrrrrreeeeeeeeewwwwwww yoooooooouuuuuu, Princess!

:red:

I was unaware of a user called Jim. Boy howdy do I feel sheepish.

Anyways, my point somewhat stands in that occasionally people use other members real names which can get a might bit confusing.

:red:

I was unaware of a user called Jim. Boy howdy do I feel sheepish.

Anyways, my point somewhat stands in that occasionally people use other members real names which can get a might bit confusing.

I don't like to get personal on this forum. As far as I'm concerned, you're all crazed!

also rename DS/3DS board as Handhelds and move PSP topics from Other Consoles into that board.

Nope nope nope.

Besides, PSP is shit.

The awards are community run, as opposed to being an official thing. Suggestions are always welcome :heh:

It also doesn't help when idiots prepare it all, let people vote and then have no time to count up the results.

What?

I win!

Won't be doing it this year though. Losers.

Although in all fairness it is easier when separated into threads so if someone wanted to do that...we can talk in December.

Which, as I seemingly have to continuously point out, I'm not disputing. But this is a Nintendo forum. I come here to talk Nintendo. Not find out why so and so had a shite day. But, if general chit-chat is part of the package then I'm not against it. It adds more variety which is a good thing. My point with this whole thing though is that this is primarily a Nintendo forum whether people like it or not and people seem to argue me down for it despite the fact that the site is called n(intendo)-europe. Teen chat this ain't.

And surely, Nintendo's "crappy shift" is a point of discussion nevertheless.

I don't get why you keep stating that it's a Nintendo forum when this clearly has no impact whatsoever on what people should feel inclined to post. People have just as much right to post about general topics than they do Nintendo topics. The website is a different matter, but the forums are individually separated so that the most important focus of each is the individual title they hold - e.g. general chat rather than Nintendo-Europe.

You may find people are arguing you down because you are using a mere title of a forum, something fairly trivial, as a point to why Nintendo views should be more 'heard' on this forum or hold higher importance. Which most people would disagree with you about.

NO!!!! I'd feel more initimidated.:mad: There is far too much to go through and you don't find out anything about the other people on the forum. Plus my PC is slow and doesn't like 'tabs'. It will take days to go through, instead of just clicking 3/4 main threads and getting what I want to read.

Good, this is just what I wanted to hear, I salute you.

<Post>

Your last post before this was on 17th May. This forum shakeup has brought you back to the forum!

Hurrah! It is indeed tremendous. :bouncy:

I don't get why you keep stating that it's a Nintendo forum when this clearly has no impact whatsoever on what people should feel inclined to post. People have just as much right to post about general topics than they do Nintendo topics. The website is a different matter, but the forums are individually separated so that the most important focus of each is the individual title they hold - e.g. general chat rather than Nintendo-Europe.

You may find people are arguing you down because you are using a mere title of a forum, something fairly trivial, as a point to why Nintendo views should be more 'heard' on this forum or hold higher importance. Which most people would disagree with you about.

As far as I'm concerned, any forum on the internet, no matter the topic, needs a general board. Because when people get to know each other, chances are they'll want to talk about things unrelated to the original topic. A community is created, and people develop relationships that extend beyond the original topic. Some people might then lose interest in the topic, have less time for it, etc., but that doesn't change the fact that they have developed relationships with the people on the forum and will want to stay in touch with the community. If I had stopped posting on these forums when my need to discuss Nintendo on a regular basis disappeared, I wouldn't be here today.

Forum uses GLOMP on ampheroid

It is super-effective!

Ampheroid tries to run...

FAIL ETC

... because we want you to staaaay?

Good, this is just what I wanted to hear, I salute you.

:bowdown:: peace:

Your last post before this was on 17th May. This forum shakeup has brought you back to the forum!

Hurrah! It is indeed tremendous. :bouncy:

Errrrr

No

The thing that bought me back was the man from virgin giving me broadband again :blank:

I was back and and posting regardless of the change.

Honestly it has slightly put me off posting in the other threads if anything.:sad:

Comic-Con is starting soon and comic topic is still locked. :hmm:

Edited by Dante

So start a comic con thread!

Besides, CC covers a lot of mediums.

:bowdown:: peace:

Errrrr

No

The thing that bought me back was the man from virgin giving me broadband again :blank:

I was back and and posting regardless of the change.

Honestly it has slightly put me off posting in the other threads if anything.:sad:

Booo. You deleted the other post. Makes my post look rather ridiculous now.

So start a comic con thread!

Besides, CC covers a lot of mediums.

Alright Ashley.

I'll throw this out there, I'll follow a comic con thread. I went into the Comic thread once or twice.

Which brings up your ridiculous:normal ration to 92:8.

Which, as I seemingly have to continuously point out, I'm not disputing. But this is a Nintendo forum. I come here to talk Nintendo. Not find out why so and so had a shite day. But, if general chit-chat is part of the package then I'm not against it. It adds more variety which is a good thing. My point with this whole thing though is that this is primarily a Nintendo forum whether people like it or not and people seem to argue me down for it despite the fact that the site is called n(intendo)-europe. Teen chat this ain't.

And surely, Nintendo's "crappy shift" is a point of discussion nevertheless.

As charming and quaint as I find the notion of 'going somewhere to talk Nintendo', I think you vastly misinterpret the tone of the forum for, if not most of, a good proportion of the members.

Like I said before, I haven't owned a nintendo console in years. The last time I played one was wii bowling over a year ago for about an hour. But I did join this forum when I was fifteen, eight years ago. I know I'm not the exception when I say that Gen-Chat and the community here are the reason I'm still here. If I considered this a Nintendo only forum, I'd have left years ago.

Hell, some of our best members have, to my knowledge, hardly ever played computer games.

so in summary, you're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak

Chris-Morris-in-Brass-Eye-001.jpg

So how many separate threads would be acceptable?

I think it could be treated like E3 with a main thread covering the conference, and separate threads for the things that warrant more than a a couple people echoing similar sentiments.

After spending more time on the forum I still feel it was better before the 'change'

Is the forum having some sort of midlife crisis where it goes and buys a sports car or having some menopausal crying fits

The new threads started just seem utter tripe or are threads that could/would have been started regardless.

All in all, I miss having my 'subscribed' threads. PLEASE bring them back :cry:

What post? ;):indeed:

Don't know what you're talking about.

:kiss:

As charming and quaint as I find the notion of 'going somewhere to talk Nintendo', I think you vastly misinterpret the tone of the forum for, if not most of, a good proportion of the members.

This is awesome

and so true :bowdown:

So how many separate threads would be acceptable?

What I was suggesting was Comic Con wouldn't have solely lived in the comic thread anyway.

Surely simplifying the forum would make it more accessible? Yeah, it's more impersonal for us who come here on a regular basis but it could allow newer/less frequent members to join in more spontaneously.

I suppose this is the heart of our disagreement: you seem to want to entice more people in with a more impersonal forum, I want to encourage more people to get personal.

I see little point in aiming for the mass market, as it were. If that's what you want there are numerous monolithic alternatives, be it NeoGAF, IGN or the GameSpot forums. N-E is never going to be as large as those but throughout its many iterations it has always framed that as a strength: it isn't just "small", it's tight-knit.

To be frank I have no idea why people knowing each other ostensibly annoys you so much. If you don't want to interact on that level then that's fine, you can talk about games as much as you like without making a peep about your personal life. However, if you don't want to expend the effort to get involved on that other level don't resent those that do; like any relationship, with a forum you get out what you put in.

There's nothing special about the regular posters here, they didn't rise to power through nepotism or bribes, they're just people that were willing to make an effort and get involved. Any new member can become just as entrenched in the make-up of the forum as Dante, ReZ or whoever else, because that's exactly where they started too.

The ironic thing about all this is that I'm probably one of the longest standing members that is fairly impersonal. I don't go out of my way to make friends or self-publicise, that isn't who I am and I'm fine with that. I still enjoy the homely atmosphere of this place, though, and without it I'd see little reason to stay here rather than go somewhere else. I'm not saying the forum would necessarily miss me, but I'm sure there are many other posters in my situation which it would.

Anyway, I know it can be tiring replying to all these posts so don't feel obligated to respond to this one. I just came in here to say my piece, as I've always done.

Like I said before, I haven't owned a nintendo console in years. The last time I played one was wii bowling over a year ago for about an hour. But I did join this forum when I was fifteen, eight years ago. I know I'm not the exception when I say that Gen-Chat and the community here are the reason I'm still here. If I considered this a Nintendo only forum, I'd have left years ago.

Hell, some of our best members have, to my knowledge, hardly ever played computer games.

Sure a forum and its members can evolve and change their tastes through out the years to the point the only relation they have are the members themselves, but to deny this place's connection to the Nintendo side of gaming or even gaming as a whole is as, or more, ridiculous than claiming it as exclusively for Nintendo discussions.

Its not that I completely disagree with you, but the way you so proudly say it.

*Sigh*

I just made a comic con thread.

Can you change the title to "Comic Releases w/c 21st July" or something, where we can discuss the comics that we read.