NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

Of course the ones whining about the General Chit-Chat mix up could go and experience other boards for a while. It's a Nintendo forum, yet very few people on here regularly contribute to Nintendo discussion. I swear some people on here have never even visited the Wii Discussion.

That's fine; Nintendo mostly sucks these days anyway. (can of worms hurhur)

I don't think people should feel any inclination to visit certain boards because it is primarily a Nintendo site.

Think of it this way: minus all the people who don't go in Nintendo threads from the total member count and you have even fewer members. It's better to have more people; ones that don't visit Nintendo topics, than not to have them at all.

Of course the ones whining about the General Chit-Chat mix up could go and experience other boards for a while. It's a Nintendo forum, yet very few people on here regularly contribute to Nintendo discussion. I swear some people on here have never even visited the Wii Discussion.

And as much as it comforts me to know that everyone else's life is as shite as mine, I'd much rather we had bigger and better Nintendo-related discussion. That's the reason why I and I imagine most other people joined.

Sure, I like the community aspect, but HWYD and other trivial "life" posts dominate this forum.

If you want more Nintendo discussion, go post in the Wii and DS boards I say. General Chit Chat is just for that, non-gaming things. And I don't see how things about people's lives and stuff from the real world should be excluded from here. Gaming stuff goes in the gaming boards, general stuff goes here.

I joined back in the day because of Nintendo, but since I've gotten older I play less games (still play though, Nintendo all the way heh) and thus feel less inclined to talk about it. And I think it's the same for quite a few people who initially may have joined for the games but now feel they also want to talk about other things.

I'm against it.

I enjoy reading the vast majority of large threads of this board, HWYD, rate ones, LGBT etc. Its good to be able to join into a discussion or start your own.

I visit another board that tended to scrap the threads similiar to these, they (ie the mods) found it quite difficult, in the end you have a lot of people who come on and make threads, find its already been made three hundred times and it gets locked, for example now we'll have a thread everytime a new blockbuster comes out, spam the hell out of the board and make it difficult for other threads to thrive.

I'll be surprised if that makes any sense to you, I'm rather tired.

And as much as it comforts me to know that everyone else's life is as shite as mine, I'd much rather we had bigger and better Nintendo-related discussion. That's the reason why I and I imagine most other people joined.

Sure, I like the community aspect, but HWYD and other trivial "life" posts dominate this forum.

Join the Other Boards. We're loads of fun.

I'm against it.

I enjoy reading the vast majority of large threads of this board, HWYD, rate ones, LGBT etc. Its good to be able to join into a discussion or start your own.

I visit another board that tended to scrap the threads similiar to these, they (ie the mods) found it quite difficult, in the end you have a lot of people who come on and make threads, find its already been made three hundred times and it gets locked, for example now we'll have a thread everytime a new blockbuster comes out, spam the hell out of the board and make it difficult for other threads to thrive.

I'll be surprised if that makes any sense to you, I'm rather tired.

It made some sence to me, somehow. At least with the standard threads it was easier to manage, now with all these extras dotted about it could be harder to manage.

Didn't we have a situe like that a few years back, hence why the HWYD thread was created??. Can't 100% remember (actually, i can but i don't want to mention it in the fear i get infractionated).

Phew, see now the way the boards are now are a perfect example of why this won't work, I have to trawl through so many threads to reach anything and several pages back I might add!

I'm all for separating a little, but this is chaos atm, well at least personally.

Before you had to trawl through massive threads that were generally labelled. Now you can glance down the page and see exactly what you want.

How is it not easier?

If anything, you just justified exactly the reason it needed to change. "I have to trawl through so many threads to reach anything and several pages back"; that problem isn't there any more.

Its good to be able to join into a discussion or start your own.

Surely this is more true when there is a thread for each topic than when they are all bundled into one thread?

I wasn't behind this idea but I'm willing to see how it works out. If we* were wrong, we'll* graciously admit it and re-open the threads.

* Mr_Odwin

I think User Image Gallery should be re-opened...since, as much as I'd love to, I'm not going to start a thread about myself.

Before you had to trawl through massive threads that were generally labelled. Now you can glance down the page and see exactly what you want.

How is it not easier?

If anything, you just justified exactly the reason it needed to change. "I have to trawl through so many threads to reach anything and several pages back"; that problem isn't there any more.

Not really, I mean when I wanted to speak about a film I just watched I'd go to the rate your last film thread, when I wanted to speak about my day I went into HWYD, now I go through lots of threads to find a thread about a film I've just seen to discuss it, which given the amount of threads could be back on page 3/4.

Yes I suppose I could finally make use of the search function the board has, but really I preferred the way it was, it was much simplier for me to find things.

Difference of preference I guess.

Obviously I'll use the boards either way, I just find that in my own opinion that it was better how it was, but there's no harm in experimenting, if it works for the majority, then it should be kept as such, one way or the other! :awesome:

I approve of this change.

As a part-time poster it was very hard to get involved in those big threads. As someone else put it, it was quite intimidating. New threads = fresher discussion and easier for people to get involved.

2 thumbs up :)

I haven't made up my mind about this. I suppose it could work. When I think about it, when I went on the forums all I did was look at HWYD, rate *blah blah blah* and basically the usual ones with some other threads here and there. I'll wait a few days and retain any judgment.

I have a feeling that this idea is similar to communism. Everything seems perfect on paper but when actually done and practiced...

so you think the general chit chat looks better with all these random threads scattered everywere? no disrespect guys it looks messy.

Intergration isn't the future anymore.

I noticed my Total Recall topic's title was changed. Is this another change where we can't have a bit of mystique in our titles?

I assume this new regime means every birthday thread from now on will just have the title "Happy Birthday "

I give it three days.

Three days?

Optimistic.

Intergration isn't the future anymore.

I noticed my Total Recall topic's title was changed. Is this another change where we can't have a bit of mystique in our titles?

I assume this new regime means every birthday thread from now on will just have the title "Happy Birthday "

OH MY GOD IT'S PC GONE MAD!

I think we should have a entertainment boards with sub-boards of Manga & Comics, Music, Films & TV and make a new board called Consoles with Wii and Other Consoles topics merge together also rename DS/3DS board as Handhelds and move PSP topics from Other Consoles into that board.

Edited by Dante

A nice idea (if we're changing shit) is to have more thread icons, ie icon4.gificon5.gif etc. Like a film reel for film, book for comic, etc etc. Could be better.

DO IT!

Positive changes FTLULZ.

make a new board called Consoles with Wii and Other Consoles topics merge together also rename DS/3DS board as Handhelds and move PSP topics from Other Consoles into that board.
The fact that Wii has double the number of threads/posts as the other two main consoles combined means that would be a bad idea. Many Wii fans on these forums refuse to try other consoles, I somehow doubt they would want to filter through Modern Warfare 2, God of War threads etc.

I think you're forgetting this is a Nintendo forum, not just general gaming....

Seeing as how we're totally complaining about stuff that isn't really to do with this, I'd like to chip in a request for more daily allowances of thanksings, otherwise I'm gonna go on a NO THANKING RIOT.

I'm f*cking serious, too.

The reason I liked the bigger movie, music, etc threads is that if someone just happened to mention something in passing that I hadn't seen/listened to then often I would go and check it out (rate the last tv show is the best example here). That isn't going to happen anymore, cause I'm certainly not going to click on every one of the new topics just in case it might be something I'm interested in.

Coming home from work and seeing two pages of threads with new posts is extremely off putting.

Coming home from work and seeing two pages of threads with new posts is extremely off putting.

This.

At least if it's all contained in one thread you can just ignore that thread / read it at leisure. But if everythings all up in your face...

Think of it this way: minus all the people who don't go in Nintendo threads from the total member count and you have even fewer members. It's better to have more people; ones that don't visit Nintendo topics, than not to have them at all.

If you want more Nintendo discussion, go post in the Wii and DS boards I say. General Chit Chat is just for that, non-gaming things. And I don't see how things about people's lives and stuff from the real world should be excluded from here. Gaming stuff goes in the gaming boards, general stuff goes here.

I joined back in the day because of Nintendo, but since I've gotten older I play less games (still play though, Nintendo all the way heh) and thus feel less inclined to talk about it. And I think it's the same for quite a few people who initially may have joined for the games but now feel they also want to talk about other things.

Well Eenuh you're right, the general side of things shouldn't be excluded, although my thought on the matter is that there's too much emphasis on it. A place for general discussion is great and all but when it becomes the overriding theme of the entire forum, then it really defies the point of n-europe being a Nintendo site. It might as well be g-europe.

Sheikah, I get your point but I prefer quality over quantity.

As for the community aspect, it's actually hard to call it a community. Seems more like a clique of people who spend more time on here than others. The general discussions always involve the same people talking with one another in a fairly familiar way about their lives (which they've already talked about a million times already on the forum), which makes very little sense to anyone who enters the forum for the first time. As Jim correctly stated, it's a bit intimidating (I remember thinking so when I first joined too). At least with specific discussions anyone can join in and not have to feel like they must know everyone before saying something.

Also, as we're talking change, then the whole n-e awards need a rehaul too. The fact that there were no awards for best person to play online with, or any awards related to the supposed core content of the forum for example only serves to further deepen the divide between "north" and "south" of the forum.