NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

As an experiment some of the larger, and topic-general, threads are going to be locked.

There are several reasons for this. Here are some, but not all:

• HWYD/Rate */Post * likely suck up the creation of new threads
  • Longer threads are more intimidating to newcomers
  • Ghost pages are formed
  • More discussion comes from individual threads (we see this in thread rips all the time) than posts in the more general threads

As a team of moderators we realise this is potentially controversial, but just roll with it and see what happens. For now, please don't recreate these threads with clones or similarly titled threads.

Create new exciting threads. A 2-page thread is a success.

I agree with most of those but personally I dont think the "rate" threads need locking, or at least not being allowed to recreate them. They dont really stop people creating a new thread about a movie. I mean what should we do now if we watch an old movie and wanted to mention it but dont feel like it needs its own thread?

I'm sort of in agreeance with Happenstance, i don't see the need for locking the "Rate" threads and the HWYD thread. They do make up, probably a lot of everyones convo's here, well they do mine anyway. Perhaps locking them and creating a new one of each may help with non-deterring new members but hey, i'm no mod.

I mean what should we do now if we watch an old movie and wanted to mention it but dont feel like it needs its own thread?

Exactly this. Me going out and buying a new DVD or random bit of camera equipment doesn't warrant a new thread, but it could spark up a mini conversation in the PYP thread.

I really don't see the point in locking all of those threads... Where can we talk about films now? Do we make a new thread for every film we'd like to discuss? Same with music.

Or just talking about things you bought or things that happened in your day. They usually don't deserve their own thread, but sometimes it's just nice to mention them. You get to know bit more about people that way.

but sure if it becomes a big topic people go and create a seperate thread or admin/mod can rip, no?

*agrees with Ine*

I think making controversial decisions is the way to get discussion happening, we can all unite in rage against the system and complain more than we would otherwise discuss! Hurrah! I especially mean the RAH :mad:! bit of that hurrah.

Same with funny images and video clips we find. They don't really warrant their own thread, but it would be nice to be able to share them.

I'm for the idea though, and I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

After a tad think, it could work in general. Only time will tell.

Heck, even this thread now is getting a convo going.

Remember when we deleted the "Meaningless Post of the Day" thread? The forums were much better after that. Then we got HWYD, then they died again other than thread rips.

Stop acting like children ("I bought a bottle of Fanta today") and try and go along with the idea, if it doesn't work they'll change it back to what it was before.

Edited by Charlie

'm for the idea though, and I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

It'll go 1 of 2 ways. There will be new threads for absolutely everything. No one will want to flick through every thread, many won't even bother looking at the second page of threads. We'll end up with loads of threads with no replies.

Or no one will post anything because they'll want to discuss what happened in their day/they're new favourite song/film etc, but won't feel a new thread is necessary and have nowhere else to post it.

It'll go 1 of 2 ways. There will be new threads for absolutely everything. No one will want to flick through every thread, many won't even bother looking at the second page of threads. We'll end up with loads of threads with no replies.

Or no one will post anything because they'll want to discuss what happened in their day/they're new favourite song/film etc, but won't feel a new thread is necessary and have nowhere else to post it.

Still, I have a feeling it might ignite the forums a bit more. I'm positive for the moment.

I mean what happens when I want to post about a comic? As we cant make generalised threads then it'll have to be specific to that comic, then of course we talk about multiple comics in that old thread so shall I make threads for all of them? If not then why lock the thread in the first place.

I mean what happens when I want to post about a comic? As we cant make generalised threads then it'll have to be specific to that comic, then of course we talk about multiple comics in that old thread so shall I make threads for all of them? If not then why lock the thread in the first place.

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....THE COMIC THREAD IS CLOSED?!!

Oh this won't do. This won't do at all.

Edited by ReZourceman
Automerged Doublepost

Still, I have a feeling it might ignite the forums a bit more. I'm positive for the moment.

I just dont think its been thought through properly. Certain threads may need to be broken up for more conversation but as I and other people have mentioned, it just doesnt work with everything locked.

I'm thinking the latter. Because it's not that we won't feel a new thread is necessary, it's that we've been told not to. We can't:

• Tell people about our day.
  • Talk about comics.
  • Post images of our lovely mugs.
  • Post images of other lovely mugs.
  • Tell people what music we like.
  • Tell people what we've bought.
  • Tell people films we've seen.
  • Talk about film updates.

For now, please don't recreate these threads with clones or similarly titled threads.

So now the challenge is on.

Create new exciting threads. A 2-page thread is a success.

Just nothing about the above matters.

General discussion is just natural though. With this new system, someone could make a thread about a movie, then someone else could post comparisons to another movie, someone else posts comparisons to a different movie and before we know it, we're back to a general movie thread, just with a specific films name in the title.

Discussions just flow that way and the general topics were great for this. I think the forum does need a bit of a shake up and I can see the motives behind it (most of the discussions do happen in 5 or 6 threads), but locking the most popular threads and not allowing them to be recreated just seems ludicrous to me.

Lilt.

----

The only way I could see this working is instead of having massive threads, the Rate threads have a new edition each month and are replaced etc.

Also, other consoles needs new members, it's very dull in that board. It's almost worth going out of my to root some good people from other forums.

Edited by dwarf

Oh, I do agree. But it is still only temporary, and I'm just trying to be optimistic about it for now.

That being said, I especially agree with the above posts by EEVIL and Goafer. They seem to have hit the nail on the head.

Daymn, didn't realise we'd lost the User Image Gallery! That one totally should have stayed.

The others are all a bit gay though.

I feel that while this is a good idea in theory, some threads wouldn't really fit having multiple threads. Examples of this would be the User Image Gallery and the Post your Purchases thread. It's not exactly fitting for there to be a new thread whenever there's a person with new pictures or has just bought something.

If the desired effect of this experiment was to create a forum full of Stuwii wannabe posts then I declare this a grand success already.