NEurope
Ashley

Toy Story 3 (Spoiler Tags!)

Fantastic film, really enjoyed it, definitely a satisfying finish. The part in the furnace, and the emotion showed on the faces of the toys, wow. Jaw-droppingly emotive CGI, simply stunning.

Oh and Day and Night was outstanding. Loved it.

At least Shrek was funny :P DO THE ROAR!

Oh, dear.

Ignoring the absurd comment that it was even remotely funny, comparing Shrek 4, that pathetic excuse for a film with Toy Story 3??? ::shrug:

Fantastic film, really enjoyed it, definitely a satisfying finish. The part in the furnace, and the emotion showed on the faces of the toys, wow. Jaw-droppingly emotive CGI, simply stunning.

Oh and Day and Night was outstanding. Loved it.

Oh, dear.

Ignoring the absurd comment that it was even remotely funny, comparing Shrek 4, that pathetic excuse for a film with Toy Story 3??? ::shrug:

You managed to change who the quote was from. You must have a grudge against Tys. The hater was Esequiel.

One of my favourite lines:

"I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling toys."

Kids these days are spoiled with loads of CGI films, so to them Toy Story 3 is just another.

They don't know the magic of Toy Story like us big kids do.

I agree with this.

Toy Story is the first Movie I really remember watching as a kid, and the series was my favourite for a long time. I remember watching the first two Movies frequently on VHS as a child, and I remember watching the Buzz Lightyear cartoon every day back when it first came out. I honestly think Toy Story was what kick started my imagination as a kid. Over time, I grew out of it, just as I grew out of my childhood toys. This all happened about the time I started playing video games actually. Seeing Toy Story 3 brought back a lot of memories for me. The change in Time between the second movie and this one was probably the most powerful part of it. Everyone who grew up with Toy Story is now either starting to, or has recently reached or passed the age and life events of Andy in the movie, just as most of us were probably around the age of Andy in the first two movies when we saw them. I honestly don't think this Movie in particular was aimed at the kids, but everyone who grew up with Toy Story. I continue to admire how Pixar can make animated movies that aren't just kids movies filled with childish jokes and pointless silliness, but they can make Movies that people of all ages can enjoy. I've seen every Pixar movie, with the exception of Cars, and I enjoyed every single one of them, Toy Story (and to a lesser extent A Bug's Life) will always be my favourites though, I guess just because of when I saw them. Other animated movies I saw as a kid just weren't as memorable.

One of these days, I'm going to rent or buy all the pixar films on blu-ray and have a marathon.

Edited by Emasher

Saw it yesterday. It was good. Definitely struck a chord with my inner child seeing all the characters back again and even some of the news ones which I remember playing with when I was really young (such as the phone-thing).

Start was brilliant, seeing the toys in a big action sequence with Andy still a kid and the way that the movie quickly moved on to the toys in the box trying to get Andy to notice them was a nice piece of juxtapositioning and a sharp reminder that the movie was going to be more about hardships than about good times. Although the way in which we saw the metaphorical passing of the torch to the young girl at the end by Andy brought it all back to end on a happy, if saddened because it is the end, note.

I haven't seen all of Pixar's movies, only a small handful of them, but is it just me or is Toy Story the series of films which seems to speak more to adults than kids? Yes, kids will delight in seeing the toys but to me the storyline has more to it that adults will get and it's kind of why I see the films as more adult than perhaps other animations. I think that came across most in and around all the Sunnyside Day Care scenes with Lotso trying to rule with an iron fist, etc. or the retrospective on how Lotso became how he was.

As for the new characters, loved Mr. Pricklepants for his "Shhhhhhhhhh! I'm trying to stay in character!" and the triceratops thing, especially when the internet chat thing popped up. Didn't really care for Ken much, was funny seeing Barbie kicking his ass though.

So yeah, enjoyed watching it.

Will say that I don't think the 3D was up to much. Watched it all in 3D but did move my glasses up at times to see how the film was without them and apart from a slight different in colour contrast, it looked almost the same. I kind of think some of the adverts before hand were a bit more impressive 3D wise, although it did give a good enough sense of depth at times.

The Day & Night short was good as well.

Think a lot of the stuff in there would have just washed over the kids who were in the cinema, such as the woman sunbathing or the pool party and why they were oogling, along with some of the actual film. 3D worked well here and gave a few good laughs.

You managed to change who the quote was from. You must have a grudge against Tys. The hater was Esequiel.

D'oh. Apologies TysOnToast

Jesus fucking christ, that was ridiculously good. You couldn't hype this film enough. Amazing.

I managed to keep it together just about, but I was close to crying like a little bitch three times. Particularly

held hands and accepted death. Fucking hell that shit was heavy.

It was just insane. Such a wonderful wonderful ending aswell. Mega masterpiece, and I would say completely needed for the franchise as it gives it a solid ending. Incredible.

9.lots out of 10

I've heard people moaning that its not "3D enough" but there seems to be no pleasing some people. They'd also moan if things were popping out at you all the time.

Thankfully it wasn't "3D" at all really. Technically the best 3D film I've seen because I can't think of a single "arrow through the chest" type scene.

I've just been to see it and thought it was awesome!

On a kind of related note, Rick Astley just asked me if he could borrow my collection of Pixar films.

"Okay," I said. "You can have Toy Story, Cars and Finding Nemo but I'm never gonna give you Up."

That is frankfully the best joke ever, and is going straight on facebook. Spread the word.

There was Buzz's hand coming out and the Sharpie lid, but that was about it.

I hate that joke, mostly because that's not all the Pixar films :p

Saw it today, EASILY the best out of the three and I absolutely adore the first and second movies. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish, it had everything in it. It reminded me so much of how I felt watching the first and second movie as a kid. The story was perfection to me and had everything you could ask for in a kids' movie. I even shed a tear in two or three parts of the movie and the animation is just striking. A perfect 10 for me! I can't wait to see it again in 3D. It's quite sad though because when it ended, it felt like I said goodbye to part of my childhood since I grew up watching the Toy Story movies. If this is the last movie ever (I heard it may not be), it ended perfectly in my opinion.

A fantastic way to round up the story. I think the best thing of the trilogy is that they all feel the same whilst being different, they all have positives and negatives. But the general feel good feel and fun is there throughout.

There's just something that resonates in me when you see Buzz & Woody with Randy Numan singing in the background. Great stuff.

Must admit I didn't cry but my mind was on shooting out for a slash, I've made this fatal error the passed 3 cinema trips. No more large combos for me.

A fantastic way to round up the story. I think the best thing of the trilogy is that they all feel the same whilst being different, they all have positives and negatives. But the general feel good feel and fun is there throughout.

There's just something that resonates in me when you see Buzz & Woody with Randy Numan singing in the background. Great stuff.

Must admit I didn't cry but my mind was on shooting out for a slash, I've made this fatal error the passed 3 cinema trips. No more large combos for me.

I have that problem everytime. I go into the cinema with a litre bottle of water and wonder why I need a piss half an hour in. When I go to see Scott Pilgrim I'm taking a piss bag.

Oh, dear.

Ignoring the absurd comment that it was even remotely funny, comparing Shrek 4, that pathetic excuse for a film with Toy Story 3???

I guess im on my own here, il have to watch it again but it just didnt have the same magic as the first 2 for me :(

That is frankfully the best joke ever, and is going straight on facebook. Spread the word.

[/color]

Why, thank you! :)

Edited by Dog-amoto

Just back from finally getting to see the film. And man was it worth the wait.

I was worried back when 3 was announced that it would just have been made as a monet spinner and wouldn't live up to the greatness of the first two, but it was AMAZING.

Brilliant film and brilliant end for a trilogy. Loved the direction they took with Andy growing up. As others have mentioned the time that passed for the characters between 2 and 3 is roughly the same as in our own lives.

The opening scene was brilliant, seeing it all inside Andy's imagination before he grew up. And a great way to reintroduce each character. This is actually the way Toy Story 1 was to open in it's first draft. Then seeing it "return to reality" and become a home movie to help with the passing of time. Brilliant.

Then realising not all the toys were there... was the first "sad" moment that kinda of hit you. And I think that moment when Andy is putting the toys in a bag and has Buzz and Woody, then puts Woody in the "college" box and Buzz in the bag. I was shocked and gasped.

The jokes and comedy through out were spot on and mixed so well with the "serious" parts.

Then towards the end...I had heard there was an emotional KO to it, I tried to prepare myself but I think a few tears managed to escape. Seriously you'd have to be Hitler to not feel something during those scenes.

At the incinrator, when they all start holding hands, I thought this was it. I couldn't see how they would get out, how they could find Andy...the characters had accpeted their fate and I my heart was pounding with horror and saddness and really says something for the attachment these characters had built up over the years with the audience.

I thought this was the emotional ending I had heard about and was screaming in my head "NO you can't end it like this".

I was relieved when they got out I felt like I wanted to jump up in my seat and go "YEAH, WOHOO" and I think had a few tears of joy right there.

Then later with Andy passing on the toys. I think the bit when he finds Woody in the box was so good. And if it was me prolly how I would have reacted too. That reluctance to give up what was his best friend near enough. Then that final play time with the toys and the goodbye. So gratifying as an ending to a story and so moving. :cry:

After the film it got a round of applause too...not often that happens in a cinema...can't remember the last time I experience that after a film (might have been Dark Knight I think)

Most of the auidence as expected were adults too...few kids but ALL accompained by both parents. Usually when I see families at the cinema it's usually just the one parent mostly. I even saw one couple who must have been in their 60's at least.

10/10

Heard some kids at work today (or yesterday) say "there was some 40 year old guy there by himself, at a kids film! Weirdo" I assumed they were talking about TS3 and wanted to slap them.

Interview with Unkrich about clothing in the film, which may sound weird but shows how much detail goes in.

tt125_27dcs.sel16.cmyk_.337.jpg_rgb.jpg

In this film we came up with the concept of blue connoting safety and home. At the beginning of the film, Andy…his bedroom is blue, the sky is blue, his t-shirt is blue. He is in blue jeans, he’s got a blue car – these are not accidents. These are conscious choices. Everything in the movie is there for a reason. We are making a commitment to say that blue will connote safety and trying to avoid that in situations where we don’t want the audience to feel safe.

I think the original Toy Story is massively overrated. It is brilliant, but then all Disney films are. But no way deserving the "BEST. FILM. EVER!"-esque responses. Finding Nemo is much better for a start. I much much prefer Up and Wall-E too, but I recognise I have too much of a soft spot for them both [both made me weep].

I've not got round to seeing number 3, but I will eventually. I saw Wall-E about 3 months late, despite meaning to go practically every day.

I actually only watched the movie today, too (Portugal got a later release)

Like everyone else said, it was amazing. And definitely better for the grown-ups than it was for the kids.

And on top of that, the comedy was still great.

Spanish Buzz Lightyear was incredible. I honestly don't remember the last time I laughed so much at the cinema.

I second the 10/10 statement. God, I love Pixar.

I think the original Toy Story is massively overrated. It is brilliant, but then all Disney films are. But no way deserving the "BEST. FILM. EVER!"-esque responses. Finding Nemo is much better for a start. I much much prefer Up and Wall-E too, but I recognise I have too much of a soft spot for them both [both made me weep].

I've not got round to seeing number 3, but I will eventually. I saw Wall-E about 3 months late, despite meaning to go practically every day.

I think its popularity is due to a) technical brilliance (first CGI movie and what not) b) nostalgia c) Pixar (read: Pixar, not Disney who nearly shut it down a few times) having the balls to actually do it.

And Randy Newman's music of course :heh:

Saw it yesterday in 3D, thought it was a let down really. (The whole thing not just the 3D).

Just thought we'd seen it all before. Wish they'd spent the time on an Incredibles 2 rather than that.

Toy Story shits on Finding Nemo. Toy Story doesn't have any of those annoying "Disney" character (See: Dorey, or whatever the irritating fish's name is)

Toy Story shits on Finding Nemo. Toy Story doesn't have any of those annoying "Disney" character (See: Dorey, or whatever the irritating fish's name is)

Oh yeah, I hate shite characters more than anything; Dorey takes so much away, I'll give you that. Pocahontas would be the best film if it didn't have the shite animals in it [Grandmother Willow adds though].

Rex definitely falls under this category though.

Totally agree. As much as I love Finding Nemo, Toy Story is so much better!

Heard some kids at work today (or yesterday) say "there was some 40 year old guy there by himself, at a kids film! Weirdo" I assumed they were talking about TS3 and wanted to slap them.

I would have done! lmao.

Maybe its just me then but i really didnt see the need for Toy Story 3. Felt more like a money grabber than anything else. At least Shrek was funny :P DO THE ROAR!

I disagree, I felt Shrek Forever After was more of a money-maker if anything and it wasn't really as funny as the Shreks normally are (except for the third which is the worst in the series). For me, you could see the amount of effort, time and love that had gone into Toy Story 3 and the quality of the animation and the visuals were just beautiful and so detailed. I mean, you compare TS3's animation to Shrek's and there's a difference. Plus, the story is much better and the funny scenes in TS3 are actually funny (I'm not saying Shrek 4 isn't funny but there were times when it tried to be and failed).

Saw it yesterday in 3D, thought it was a let down really. (The whole thing not just the 3D).

Just thought we'd seen it all before. Wish they'd spent the time on an Incredibles 2 rather than that.

I'm pretty sure we've never had to see them all deal with abandonment before. Actual abandonment, rather than just "it'll happen one day".

I suppose its like TS2 - Disney were going to do it anyway so Pixar decided they'd do it and do it right. It was a closing chapter.

And Incredibles 2 will not be happening. Not for another good 5-10 years at least. Brad Bird is working on MI4 which isn't due til next year and is apparently working on the Ratatouille 3D conversion.

:(

I keep looking in the Disney Shop. I wish I had more money.

And random: I love Buttercup's voice. Not what you'd expect but very fitting somehow.

Edited by Ashley