NEurope
Ashley

Toy Story 3 (Spoiler Tags!)

Toy_Story_3_cast.jpg

Toy Story 3 is finally on general release in the UK (and has been for a while in other places, damn places!) and I presume I'm not the only big kid around here, but perhaps the biggest when it comes to this.

Thoughts and opinions on the movie.

Memories of seeing the first (1995) and second (1999).

Do you think adults are more interested in this film than children? (even my granddad wants to see it, which surprised me)

And other things. Even the game if you've had a go (had a brief play in Game, seems okay but not very taxing).

Edited by Ashley

I saw a camrip of this about three weeks ago, won't stop me from attempting to day one this bad boy later on. Absolutely incredible movie. The toys are back in town!

Kids these days are spoiled with loads of CGI films, so to them Toy Story 3 is just another.

They don't know the magic of Toy Story like us big kids do.

Watched Toy Story 2 on BBC the other night...

forgot how funny it was.

Rex - How do you spell FBI?

i Lol'd alot!

I've seen it...twice!

After finishing the first time I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to see it at the IMAX so why not eh? It actually helped to watch it in that order as the bigger screen helped me to look at the minor details better.

This was fun. Was curious when I heard the basic concept but I loved how they utilised sound throughout, very clever. Felt like something from the 50's but with today's technology obviously.

A great mix of comedy, emotion and...almost horror. After the opening montage when 'You've Got A Friend In Me' dies out and it goes black you know its going to be bleak. Shame to see everyone's favourite toys being ignored and just in need of a bit of love and TLC.

Some really funny moments. The Ken changing sequence felt like it was straight from Robot Chicken and I love how Barbie kicked his ass in numerous ways. Feminism yay! :p

I kept thinking "oh they'll be fine now" toward the end. When Lotso was put into the garbage skip, then before the went into the big melting pot thing etc. I knew they'd find a way out of it obviously but it really was very touching when they all accepted their fate and decided to go out together as a group. A really sweet moment. And then just after when Andy's mother suddenly wells up at seeing his empty room (is he not leaving anything at home?) and the very end as he drives off. It really felt like an end to it all (even if there is going to be a TS short attached to a future Pixar film).

I love how it was a prison film really, complete with 'Chatterbox' (and I love how during the credits they had doodled his mouth back on).

Great callbacks to the previous films, from the less obvious ("it's Emily all over again") to the amusing ("the claaaw!").

I'm glad they tapped into the psychology of Woody again (and Jessie somewhat too). Its always been one of my most admired aspects of the series.

Slightly disappointed that Totoro was never namechecked. Was hoping it would inspire kids to see My Neighbour Totoro.

And finally; I love Slinky and Bullseye's loyalty.

As Ellmeister just asked me: I don't think I could say which is 'the best' because really they're all great for different reasons and all work well together. Its kind of like the general consensus on Mario Galaxy 1 and 2; both great with some differing good and bad points. I think people sometimes get too het up trying to decide what is 'best' and forget they're just awesome anyway.

People who've seen it, advise please. Watch in 3D or not? I'm going to try and go see it tomorrow, so long as the weather stays decent enough for me to head out, and I'm just wondering whether it's worth watching it in 3D or not.

I've heard people moaning that its not "3D enough" but there seems to be no pleasing some people. They'd also moan if things were popping out at you all the time.

I saw it in 2D, too scary for my 2 & 4 year olds. To be honest it didnt hold a candle to the previous two and i left feeling very dissapointed.

Agreed, disappointing. Well, I shouldn't have expected much after up.

No no no. Esequiel you couldn't have been paying attention. You must've gone to watch Shrek by accident.

It was outstanding, head and shoulders above the second film which was, I feel, almost forgettable (yet still brilliant). It couldn't quite dethrone the first movie simply because it holds the "one that started it all" and "childhood memory" belts so tightly, but it really comes close. This film hit home, I don't mind admitting being this close to tears at the cheesy but heartwarming ending.

The only thing I wanted to see but didn't was the return of Sid, complete with intense toy-fear.

Also yay for surprises, namely in the form of Totoro and Mr. Tortilla Head.

I loved Toy Story 3. I don't see how people can be happy when a creative hive this great makes something as average as Up.

Night & Day was wonderfully inventive, if lacking the humour one comes to expect of a Pixar short. And far too obviously titled!

The 3D made for a lovely feast to the eyes, but I don't think much would be lost without it.

Agreed, disappointing. Well, I shouldn't have expected much after up.

The only thing I wanted to see but didn't was the return of Sid, complete with intense toy-fear.

Sid was in Toy Story 3 - you saw him a couple of times

He was the bin man.

I watched it in 2D, don't see how 3D can add much to it, but then again I hate 3D with a passion. =P

I'll probably be seeing it again next week, maybe then I can pay attention to details etc. (maybe try to spot a character of an upcoming Pixar film, they seem to put easter eggs like that in there).

Also Shorty, why do you dislike UP so much? I thought it was wonderful, imaginative, emotional and funny. And I can't get enough of it.

Cannot wait to see this. Might try and get in to a screening on Thursday on my day off but fully expect tickets to be sold out. Blergh.

Sid was in Toy Story 3 - you saw him a couple of times

He was the bin man.

I don't know if this is something you know for sure but I had an idea he might have been... Still they missed an opportunity.

Also Shorty, why do you dislike UP so much? I thought it was wonderful, imaginative, emotional and funny. And I can't get enough of it.

I found the story to be ridiculous and banal, often plowing straight into the next scene with no real reasoning of how they arrived there. I know these kind of stories demand a little suspense of logic and a lot of imagination but Up was beyond my scope of belief. Even when your story is fantastical and outlandish, it needs some logic within the world it has created in order to keep you in the dream.

Up couldn't do that for me, from the moment they found Paradise Falls with barely any effort, I struggled to keep up.

There's no denying that in parts it was hilarious, clever and imaginative. But as a whole it didn't work for me.

Edit: Also, I like squirrels.

Edited by Shorty

I cried like a pussy the second and third times I watched the ending from where Woody jumps out of the box and writes the note onward. There was something so covert they had running with Woody in this that just made it so much more incredible to witness the ending. So long, partner. Wow.

Also the part in the furnace is NIGHTMARE FUEL. I was terrified and moved at the same time. Scariest scene in a kid's movie in forever.

I loved Toy Story 3. I don't see how people can be happy when a creative hive this great makes something as average as Up.

Different director, writer, animators...completely different team :p

Also the part in the furnace is NIGHTMARE FUEL. I was terrified and moved at the same time. Scariest scene in a kid's movie in forever.

othermotherfinal3.jpg

The ending of Bolt (the part with the fire) was surprisingly scary. My little sister simply couldn't watch it.

Maybe its just me then but i really didnt see the need for Toy Story 3. Felt more like a money grabber than anything else. At least Shrek was funny :P DO THE ROAR!

Watched it last night, anyone who knows me understands how much I love Toy Story and I had extremely high hopes for this.

It didn't disappoint, at all. Brilliant film, Ken is genius in it and there seemed to be a lot more adult oriented jokes in this one which I liked.

I don't think it quite beats the original but then again I don't think anything ever will, but it was better than 2. (which was still awesome)

Watched it today with my gf, in 3D. I'm not usually a big fan of 3D, but it was the session that was on when we got their, so we went with it. I was impressed with how clear the 3D was this time, it was quite seemless. I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D and it was quite nauseating for me, but today I genuinely caught myself forgetting i even had the stupid glasses on.

As for the movie, it was fantastic. Plently of laughs, and references to the first 2. The end was so sad! My GF was balling her eyes out, and I was definately choked up!

Great movie :)

othermotherfinal3.jpg

Good lord, I'd forgotten all about that UNTIL NOW. Thanks a lot, man!

Tonight I sleep with the lights on.

I've just been to see it and thought it was awesome!

On a kind of related note, Rick Astley just asked me if he could borrow my collection of Pixar films.

"Okay," I said. "You can have Toy Story, Cars and Finding Nemo but I'm never gonna give you Up."

I went to see this a bit earlier, it was alright, until the man baby next to me started crying. I'll admit to being in touch with my feminine side, I cried to Forest Gump, but I couldn't see a reason

Andy leaving the toys in the safe hands of little what's-her-face

would be a tear jerker. Am I the only one who didn't get attached to

him

in the first two movies or something?

I went to see this a bit earlier, it was alright, until the man baby next to me started crying. I'll admit to being in touch with my feminine side, I cried to Forest Gump, but I couldn't see a reason
Andy leaving the toys in the safe hands of little what's-her-face

would be a tear jerker. Am I the only one who didn't get attached to

him

in the first two movies or something?

I think the heart is/is meant to be in...

leaving your childhood behind. Which is something that particularly resonated with me. This felt like my childhood's swansong. Plus I think just seeing Andy playing with his toys again and explaining why he loved them. We've all ignored and eventually got rid of toys, its meant to make us think about the process of growing up...maybe.

Yeah, I saw that angle of things, but it never jerked much out of me. Maybe if I watch it again in 10 years, when I have actually grown up/let attachments go it'll seem more relevant. The fella next to me seemed like he'd seen the world, so it makes sense a theme like that would trigger the water works.

Still, if I'm gonna come out of a showing of Toy Story 3, regardless of whether it moved me, I'm not going to want to be seen with red eyes :p