NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Best Free Antivirus, AntiSpyware and multiple backup solution?

Ok, so originally I just had the one question about a backup solution, but now I'm fixing up my brother's computer that he borked so it's also about spyware/antivirus programs. I managed to use PartedMagic to partition his drive into two, and essentially backup the entire C: drive on the second partition, but I want to scan all the files before accessing them to make sure they aren't virusy or anything. So;

What is, in your opinion, the best free antivirus?

What is, in your opinion, the best free anit-spyware program?

-------------------------------------------

Then onto the next question! I'm considering getting an external 3.5" hard drive, probably 1TB or even 1.5TB. I'm thinking of using it for backing up our computers, and by our computers, I mean 3 of them. However. by 3 of them, I mean 3 computers with internal hard drives, and two smaller external hard drives also.

I know very little about backup solutions, but with this present nature of huge data holding possibilities, to lose a drive is to lose rather alot! I will be using it to backup potentially 3 computers, one which doesn't actually live at my house. Is there something that could make this easy for me? How often should one backup? What sort of backup method should one use(may need to give my some detail here)? A description of the computers/devices is as follows;

1x 40GB 2.5" PATA drive, in an external enclosure. Quite full. NTFS or FAT32.

1x 120GB 2.5" SATA drive, in an external enclosure. 2 Partitions. Quite full. NTFS or FAT32. I think it also has a hidden 3rd partition from the original vista/factory recovery, I'm not bothered about saving that though.

1x Desktop with like 320GB HDD? Not very full at all. Should be NTFS.

1x Desktop with like 300GB HDD. 2 partitions. Not very full either either. Both NTFS.

Plus a tricky one;

1x Laptop with 500GB internal hard drive. This one is complicated though, and is easily removed if it's going to make things tricky. It's complicated because it's got about 6 partitions, though only...4 or so of them would need to be backed up? However, it's a dual boot of Windows and Linux. 1 partition for windows, 1 for linux system, 1 for my home documents, and 2 others. It breaks down as follows;

40GB NTFS Windows System

40GB Ext4 Linux System

For some reason the next 3 are in an extended partition with logical partitions, or something. If I'm not making sense, it's cos I don't know alot about partitioning despite managing to do it. Can't remember why the last two are weird sizes either.

60GB Ext4 Linux Home/Files

3GB Linux Swap partition

84GB FAT32

273GB FAT32

So um...yeah. Backup solutions! I can easily drop the Laptop with its crazy drive if it makes things much easier btw. Please don't tell me off for having alot of crazy shit going on :red:

Edited by Rummy

I tend to do the same, though I won't deny somehow stuff has slipped past me in the past. However, it is not for me anyway, and I happen to need my brain at rather regular intervals and so I cannot be lending it out to my brother every time he needs to use the internet :p

Well, then I'll suggest Avast or AVG Free. Either will do.

I prefer using my brain instead of an anti-virus/spyware.

You can get a virus without visiting so called 'dodgy' sites. There's no real disadvantage to having one; it's like refusing to have a vaccine in real life.

For that reason, I recommend AVG Free. Used it for years with no problems. icon_gr8.gif

I recommend Avast. I used to use AVG Free Edition, but it ended up becoming a very bloated piece of software, not to mention that it would hog the system's resources. For the last 2 years, I've been using Avast, which I feel is greatly superior. It updates more often, it uses considerably less system resources than AVG, even during scans, and it's generally better at picking up viruses.

I recommend Avast Free Edition and SuperAntiSpyware (free/paid) or Stopzilla (paid).

Apart from common sense;

I recommend Avira Antivir for your virus protection. It's free and beats a lot of the paid for anti virus software for finding shit in a lot of website tests (cnet for one). Plus when you run the virus checker it's called "Luke Filewalker". The awesomeness speaks for itself.

For spyware I use a combo of "superantispyware" and "spybot". Both free and good.

If you want to hit up a firewall I found "Pc Tools firewall" to be the most user friendly and functional free one I've used.

The free Microsoft one is new on the scene and has good reviews.

I use this one. It doesn't come with any features besides virus scan but that's exactly what I want and complete scans are very fast compared to AVG 7.5 (used that previously). It seems to be quite resource friendly in general actually.

Sign in to follow this