NEurope
chairdriver

Recommend Me An RPG

Dragon Quest VIII (Journey of the Cursed King) is the best RPG I've ever played. If you have a PS2, you must play it, really! Even if you can only get it 2nd-hand.

Absolutely loved this and is one of my faves!:D

just to throw in my 2cents...

For the PS2? Persona 3 (/FES); Suikoden IV; Shadow Hearts: Covenant; Dark Chronicle.

DS? I'm going to go with D_prOdigy here and say The World Ends With You.

The World Ends With You is a bit Marmite. Personally I got bored in about 30 mins.

My favourite DS RPG is probably Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Suikoden 4.

Kingdom Hearts.

Not technically an RPG but if you haven't got it then get Yakuza. (and likewise with Beyond Good and Evil.)

- Of course, Kingdom Hearts is my favourite game. I'm playing 365/2 Days atm, and I'm so angry, because it feels the series has lost any form of conciseness. Ugh. When the first game is literally THE most stunning thing.

- I've played all the FFs (apart from XI and XIII).

- I've got Chrono Trigger. I like the idea of time travel, but hate the characters and battle system. I got halfway through and then left it; I might just go back to that and complete it.

- I love/hate the idea of Disgaea. I have Makai Kingdom (which is a spin-off/samebutdifferent thing I think?), and I loved that whilst playing it, but I've never been able to go back to it, just because the dungeon thing feels too tedious. I hate dungeons in RPGs.

- I have Rogue Galaxy. Fun, while it lasted.

- I remember playing my friend's copy of Golden Sun back in the day, and I remember it stunning. Might search that out.

- I don't believe Dragon Quest is good. Maybe I'm just judging a book by its cover, but I hate looking at shite pictures, and hearing shite titles.

- Of all mentioned The World Ends With You seems most appealing.

- That, and Shadow Hearts.

What's everyone's opinion on Dark Chronicle and Grandia III?

Dark Chronicle 2 is ok. As far as I remember the dungeons are randomly generated. Go for Shadow Hearts 2 if you are interested in that one too. I never played the original and you don't need to to enjoy the sequel.

I'm currently playing Shadow Hearts: From New World and, whilst it's a decent enough game, it's nothing special.

Grandia 3 is a shadow of the awesome that Grandia 1&2 were. Avoid unless really desperate. It does have a decent battle system though...although if you didn't like the battle system of Chrono Trigger you probably won't like any of the Grandia games battle systems.

The World Ends With You is a bit Marmite. Personally I got bored in about 30 mins.

I gotta agree, I couldn't get into it despite really wanting to like it after I heard loads of good stuff about it. The battle system is probably what put me off the most.

Grazza, what the fuck does it matter if it's 2nd hand? The game stays the same!

Quite simply, I prefer to buy new games. People aren't exactly careful with their CDs and DVDs, and they pick up scratches. Dragon Quest VIII (which is probably not available new), is good enough to be worth getting, that's all I'm saying.

- I don't believe Dragon Quest is good. Maybe I'm just judging a book by its cover, but I hate looking at shite pictures, and hearing shite titles.

Good for you. You wouldn't like it.

- Of course, Kingdom Hearts is my favourite game. I'm playing 365/2 Days atm, and I'm so angry, because it feels the series has lost any form of conciseness. Ugh. When the first game is literally THE most stunning thing.

- I've got Chrono Trigger. I like the idea of time travel, but hate the characters and battle system. I got halfway through and then left it; I might just go back to that and complete it.

- Of all mentioned The World Ends With You seems most appealing.

Well from the looks of things you love games with lots of faggotry in them so World Ends With you is right up your alley : peace:

Tales of Vesperia was fun.

Tales of Vesperia right now is 360 exclusive outside Japan, even then it's not gonna get back ported to the PS2.

Well from the looks of things you love games with lots of faggotry in them so World Ends With you is right up your alley : peace:

oh_no_you_didnt.gif

Rather rude and uncalled for.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be a bad thing. Personally I think faggots are great. Sure it's not the best quality meat but it tastes nice.

The World ends with you may have been over saturated with text, but people turned off by the battle system in the early stages can't really judge. Despite how difficult it seems it becomes second nature to manage what's going on in both screens, also the different badges and upgrades just add to it.

It illustrates that Kirby is a massive tool as I see the same absurd shit posted often in neogaf and the videogames board on 4chan.

Heaven forbid Kirby ever says such a thing to someone who is actually gay.

Oh wait.

Regarding Shadow Hearts 1 + 2 - the first game will set you up with a really nice story, and the battle system is sheer awesome. Then the second game is potentially the most similar game I've found in terms of visuals to FFX, along with the awesome SH battle system. They're both really good and horrendously overlooked.

If you can't find SH1 (since it's rare), SH2 (Covenant) is still definitely playable without playing the first. There'd be a little bit of spoiling but it's not worth passing up on the game if you can't find the first. And oh yeah, the story to both games is great too.

I may have golden sun one and two at home somewhere, you want to borrow/keep it?

I will have golden sun 2 off you in a heart beat if you're giving it away!

If you can track them down, get Parasite Eve and 2, they are PS1 games but should be playable on your PS2.

After checking out your liked/disliked games...

-If Golden Sun interests you, go ahead. Note that I find the exploration and puzzle-solving elements to be far more interesting than the plot (which was predictable). Despite this, the world never feels boring or empty, so I think it's your type;

-Mario and Luigi series. Gotta love how tongue-in-cheek they are. Start with any of them. Preferably Superstar Saga or Bowser's Inside Story. Both are...stunning...in their own way;

If you are willing to play Tactical RPGs:

-Final Fantasy Tactics. I hear the original (PS1) has great plot, and I can assure you FFT Advance (which is a different game entirely) is very addicting in gameplay;

-Fire Emblem games for the GBA, should you ever be able to find one. They're great. Better characters than FFTA, too;

-Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (for the DS) has an interesting take on the main plot (no clichés so far), but I haven't finished it yet. You might want to find more about the VP games on the PS1 and PS2, though.

Other than that, I heard The World Ends With You has a complicated battle system (so check it out before deciding), and Chrono Cross has a very confusing plot, but good everything else.

Then put away your prejudice at least this once please...

I've recently started playing Dragon Quest IX and although I didn't pay for it - review copy - I'm glad that I was given the chance to review it because it's easily one of the best RPG's I've played.

Starts off a little slow but within two hours the game really starts to come into its own.

So anyway, I'd recommend it, it's out on 23/07/10 - or you could import - and if you decide to buy it, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, I certainly was. : peace:

Yeah, Dragon Quest IX is brilliant, but it doesn't look like the sort of thing you're going to go for. Each to their own, I guess.

it's actually a bit shite to be honest. I didn't get it anyway. It controlled pretty badly and left me stuck for hours about 3 times in a row before giving up.

Plus after about 30 minutes you'd wish they'd shut up.

If you are tormented by any of the issues above in rpg's.. then don't get this.

It's one of those " innovative- so it gets a higher score" games in my opinion

suikoden tierkreis

Very underappreciated game. it has a great soundtrack and one of the most enjoyable storylines on ds.

Some dodgy voice acting especially from the main character